A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions

Old 15th May 2016, 03:44 AM

Default TV install from scratch

Hello everyone, first time post so I’m sorry if this has been covered multiple times in the past. I’m wondering what work is involved and how hard it would be in install OEM TV reception in my 58 plate D3. I have AMI and DAB but unfortunately i couldn’t find everything i wanted plus the TV option. Is it just a case of installing the DTV module and running a signal link to the MMI in the dash or is it a lot work and trouble? Thanks in advance.
Old 15th May 2016, 05:16 AM

Its not impossible by any means.

It is however a lot easier if your car has reverse camera fitted already?

Old 15th May 2016, 07:18 AM

No I'm sorry to say no reverse camera either. Does that make it a big job? Many thanks for your assistance.
Old 15th May 2016, 07:59 AM

The MMI head unit must have FBAS circuit installed – the letter “A” at the end of the box 4E0 035 729 and the green Fakra connector is needed for camera retrofit – We can buy a used one with the “A” or add the circuit ourselves if we are good with the soldering iron. The benefit of doing this is “Component Protection” will not come up and we don’t have to take the car to the dealer to remove (software) – it does cost money. - See more at: http://www.dognmonkey.com/audi/add-f...0-035-729.html

As yours is '08 maybe it has the FBAS already - it seems daft for Audi to keep using two versions.
Old 15th May 2016, 10:28 AM

I'm fairly interested in adding this to mine too. As I have no reverse camera either.

I'm not entirely convinced the effort and money is worth it.... I don't watch that much terrestrial TV in the house, but running a Raspberry Pi with Kodi as a media hub seems quite slick, with streaming services like YouTube and Netflix.

Even then I'm not so sure I'd be watching tons of stuff in the car.

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

2008 D3, gone, but not forgotten after 9 years and 90k.
Old 15th May 2016, 10:50 AM

i did have analogue in mine, bought a hybrid, installed it, used it a handfull of times over the next 3 or 4 years.

maybe better to get a kufatec unit that allows video input to the front screen
at least if you watch it there will be something you actually want to watch
A8 4.2TDI - Ice Silver, Comfort heated/cooled/massage Seats, Alcantara, Extended Leather pack, Ambient light pack, Solar roof, Night Vision, Lane change assist, Audi presense, Audi BrakeGuard, ACC Cruise, Blinds, Quad Air, AMI, Online services, Parking with rear Camera, Aluminium brushed inlays, Adaptive Zenons, High beam assist, Bose Sound, and more

Gone but not forgotten: A8 D3 2005- AMI HDD, Audible Parking, TV, NAV, Bluetooth, Hybrid TV, Aftermarket headrest monitors, Rosstech VCDS / Vagcom
Old 15th May 2016, 11:12 AM

I suspect your biggest problem will be the aerials.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 15th May 2016, 12:00 PM

I upgraded to Freeview unit too, and I generally use it daily for news channels such as RT or Skynews. Now and again Music Channel 4music? but you can't really watch or 'get into' anything on the move where you have to watch the picture and when sat waiting in the car, the signal is flakier than just watching most channels on your phone over cellular.
Old 15th May 2016, 06:38 PM

I replaced my analogue with a hybrid and it worked OK. But as stated earlier the signal can be flakier than DAB radio.
I find it useful when management visits ASDA, I stay in the 8 and watch TV. Luckily reception is damn good there while outside ours it is a bit useless. We are only a few miles direct view from Winter Hill Transmitter but our house is in the way. Move twenty yards and we have picture.
To be honest, more gimmick than useful.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 15th May 2016, 07:21 PM

I get a pretty good reception on mine even behind my house which is the wrong side for the transmitter, the car has a better signal than the house had with the arieal on the roof. even on the move it's quite good.

As Ray says it's great while waiting for the other half at the shops