A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Everything Else

D3 - Everything Else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 25th February 2018, 11:23 PM

Default Snow

So later this week we are forcast snow. My wife and daughter have a 3 hour drive each wsy to a uni. So my question is should they take my d3 with normal tyres and 4wd or the wifes a3 with Michelin cross climate tyres ?
Old 26th February 2018, 09:36 AM

My view is that quattro is great at getting you moving when slippy, but on standard tyres it won't help you steer or stop!

So maybe tyre is the deciding factor? In any case, 300miles I suspect will be mainly motorway, so should be clear
Old 26th February 2018, 10:18 AM

I have no personal experience with Crossclimate tyres but I would chose 2WD with winter tyres over 4WD with summer tyres.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 26th February 2018, 10:41 AM

Winter tyres every time (or CrossClimate).
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 19th March 2018, 11:24 AM

Tyres aside, this second spell of snow has allowed the Quattro system to shine yet again!

I am not saying it is a LR Defender but as my household has a rear wheel drive BMW and a front wheel drive C6 Avant to draw comparisons from, Quattro really does help.

Out of interest, are the Merc 4-matic and BMW X-Drive systems mechanically the same as Audi Quattro? I'm imagining VW 4Motion is actually Quattro....?

(Just reading up on the alternate 4x4 systems now on Wiki, very interesting).

'09 D3 S8 - Most of the bells and whistles (B&O, Audi Exclusive brown interior and exterior paint, soft close, ACC etc) de-flapped manifold!

Last edited by Audidothat; 19th March 2018 at 11:32 AM.
Old 19th March 2018, 11:58 AM

Yes, a fair few years since the last serious snow here, but yet again the Quattro shone through up some really steep untreated hills and I'm only running 4 newish summer tyres Nexen N'Fera SU1.
Easily got around zig-zagging stationary cars even when setting off from a stop after waiting for them, virtually never broke traction - manual mode 2 or 1 down the hills and the Quattro works in reverse.

Sadly not all Quattro monikered Audis have mechanical Torsen™️ (the ones that are based on Golfs etc.. use Haldex™️)
I also fear that the new models may have gone for more bogus eco type 4WD - this and the iPad interior of the D5 means no more Audis for me and I will hang on to the D3, maybe a late D4 if it dies.

Audi's High-Tech New Quattro Is About To **** Off Its Biggest Fans

Last edited by snapdragon; 19th March 2018 at 12:01 PM.
Old 19th March 2018, 12:28 PM

I don't like the sound of this "ultra" quattro. It sounds like a lot more to go wrong over a conventional mechanical Torsen. Plus:

Quote:
Audi claims it saves 0.3 liters for every 100 kM when tested in Ingolstadt traffic.
I drive a V8 ffs, I don't care about a little bit of fuel economy!
'00 Audi S8 Agate Grey (Sold )
'11 Audi Q7 4.2tdi Unknown Red (Classic Red Pearl Effect - thanks MJ)

Old 19th March 2018, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon View Post
I also fear that the new models may have gone for more bogus eco type 4WD - this and the iPad interior of the D5 means no more Audis for me and I will hang on to the D3, maybe a late D4 if it dies.
Some additions to the list of irritating new Audi innovations that turn me off:

Touch screen control (have you tried using a touch screen on the move)
Pretend exhaust pipes
Pretend exhaust noises
Old 20th March 2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audidothat View Post
Out of interest, are the Merc 4-matic and BMW X-Drive systems mechanically the same as Audi Quattro? I'm imagining VW 4Motion is actually Quattro....?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_1fCUONZHo
- Aqua Blue D2 S8 - Grey leather/Alcantara
- D3 A8 3.0 CVT
- D3 3.7 V8
Old 20th March 2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonupkid View Post
Some additions to the list of irritating new Audi innovations that turn me off:

Touch screen control (have you tried using a touch screen on the move)
Pretend exhaust pipes
Pretend exhaust noises
I couldn't agree more - simpler is better, and this sort of sh*te is one of (several) reasons why I think Audi have totally lost the plot and fallen a long way from their old abilities to truly innovate - they seem more concerned with marketing and superficial stuff these days.

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.