A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Wheels and Tyres

D2 - Wheels and Tyres Refurbing, center caps, tyre brands, tyrefitters - discuss it here

Old 24th October 2021, 10:08 PM

Default Tyre sizes for 9" 20s?

I'm considering putting my (spare...) set of 20 rims - which are 9" rather than the "proper" 8.5" ones - on my S8 as winter wheels this year.

Am I right in thinking that these 9" rims would take the same size tyres as the 8.5" ones, which this page suggests, I think?:

http://www.audipages.com/upgrades/tiresizeoptions.html

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.
Old 24th October 2021, 10:11 PM

0.5" yeah same size should be fine
Old 24th October 2021, 10:33 PM

Yeah 255/35-20 will be fine on 9s - that's what I'm running
Old 24th October 2021, 10:42 PM

Grand, thanks

(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.
Old 22nd November 2021, 10:15 AM

Default Additional winter wheels/centre caps question...

I have a set of centre caps - suitably darkened to match the winter rims - from a "spare" set I had lying around - but they seem to be a very tight fit, and I'm concerned about them not fitting, or the lugs breaking if forced

Is this a sign that they're cheap Chinese ones (quite possibly why they were lying around ), and is there a knack to persuading them to fit snugly?

Old 22nd November 2021, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin View Post
Is this a sign that they're cheap Chinese ones
Yes

Quote:
is there a knack to persuading them to fit snugly?
In this weather I'd put them on a radiator for a couple of hours to warm them up, then WD40 on the tabs and some percussive maintenance! Make sure the locating lug on the wheel is lined up with the slot on the outer edge of the cap. Hold that in place and then a solid whack on the centre of it should get it to drop in place.

Good luck getting the buggers out again though
Old 22nd November 2021, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Yes

In this weather I'd put them on a radiator for a couple of hours to warm them up, then WD40 on the tabs and some percussive maintenance! Make sure the locating lug on the wheel is lined up with the slot on the outer edge of the cap. Hold that in place and then a solid whack on the centre of it should get it to drop in place.

Good luck getting the buggers out again though
Cheers! Good practical advice, as ever. I'm less worried (for now...) about getting them out again - I might leave that to my friendly KwikFit manager as a springtime challenge for him

Old 22nd November 2021, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin View Post
Is this a sign that they're cheap Chinese ones (quite possibly why they were lying around ), and is there a knack to persuading them to fit snugly?
Yes and not really. I'm sure I posted somewhere (here ages ago) about how to tell the difference and one way to make them fit better, but there's no "knack", just brute force unless you "customise" them....

IIRC the lugs are a different, more rigid, shape and the spring rings are stronger too vs OEM. I think I got some of my cheap Chinese ones to fit by using much weaker rings from a completely different set (non-Audi) of spare/redundant wheel caps.
You might also want to look at the lugs and consider carefully paring some material off to make them more like OEM.

Edit: See this from 2017: http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=13223
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 22nd November 2021 at 02:26 PM.
Old 22nd November 2021, 02:36 PM

Details on how to tell OEM from fake here: http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showpost....0&postcount=64

And looking at other comments the spring ring is usually a major part of the problem and needs about 5mm cutting out of it so it will close further, or a weaker replacement.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 30th November 2021, 06:03 PM

Default All done now...

Well, maybe I was lucky - or maybe my luck will run out when taking them off in springtime - but these dodgy centres went on with little fuss.

They're certainly not as slick or an instant snug fit as the real thing, but no heating, trimming or real forcing was required - although for 2 of the 4 rims I did have to "reposition" one of the set of 6 sprung pins to inside (rather than outside..) the retaining ring. That seemed to make them slot in more easily, but it may also mean that they're slightly more likely to fall off, though they all seem pretty secure.

Time will tell, and it's not like I'll be using Herman as my daily driver/for long trips during the winter, so hopefully they'll be jus' fine
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Herman in Winter Wear.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	579.5 KB
ID:	27431