Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 16th May 2022, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
After a trying day with one pinch bolt yesterday, today went from bad to worse
Whats the next step on after bad to worse? Something along these lines:

because the gearbox has to come off again

to fix this damn connector leaking. I've never had one of these leak before - sometimes they get a bit damp, but as soon as I plug the connector in, it starts making a puddle on the floor.

These two o-rings are in a bad way

I was thinking when I had Paul's FE in bits, I should probably add these o-rings to my routine, since they don't tend to leak but it'd be a right pain if they did and its easy with the sump off. Literally the next one through the door bites me on the **** with that exact problem

I'm quite grumpy

TPS have priority-ordered a pair of o-rings and a new sump gasket for me so this can go back together tomorrow and normal service had flippin' well better be resumed!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	126.jpg
Views:	518
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	28475   Click image for larger version

Name:	127.jpg
Views:	487
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	28476   Click image for larger version

Name:	128.jpg
Views:	499
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	28477   Click image for larger version

Name:	129.jpg
Views:	506
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	28478   Click image for larger version

Name:	quiteannoyed.png
Views:	493
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	28479  
Old 16th May 2022, 09:23 PM

Oh dear.
At least you have your wonderful separating machine, or it would presumably be a whole lot more aggravating.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 16th May 2022, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
These two o-rings are in a bad way

Could it be that on a prior service someone just wrenched on it a bit and 'broke the seal'. I remember noticing my connector on my 2.8 being oily and there was a temptation in my novice head to 'tighten it up a bit'.... but in the end I left alone as discovered it was engine oil coming from above, and the fact you told me so.
Audi S8 2002 FE Avus Silver / Extended Red Leather.
Daily Driver: BMW 3 series GT - Just more practical for my camping trips!
Old 17th May 2022, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Oh dear.
At least you have your wonderful separating machine, or it would presumably be a whole lot more aggravating.
Quite so. I'm thankful that I noticed it while it was still on the machine and not after I'd put it all back in the car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strummagnet View Post
Could it be that on a prior service someone just wrenched on it a bit and 'broke the seal'. I remember noticing my connector on my 2.8 being oily and there was a temptation in my novice head to 'tighten it up a bit'.... but in the end I left alone as discovered it was engine oil coming from above, and the fact you told me so.
I think in this case simply removing and reattaching the connector from the wiring harness moved it enough to break the seal. Its fine just sitting there unconnected, but as soon as I plugged the connector in it twists off-axis just enough for the oil to seep past the o-rings.

I'm not sure why the connector is designed to float in the casing tbh. It would make a lot more sense to me for it to be tight in there and not move which would give the o-rings a much better chance of staying sealed. Just one of ZF's little easter eggs
Old 17th May 2022, 01:05 PM

I went out at lunchtime to fit the two o-rings and put the sump back on so the gasket sealant (blue Hylomar) can flash off before this evening when I'll want to flip the gearbox the right way up again and refill it

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20220517_130355.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	28489   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220517_132445.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	28490  
Old 17th May 2022, 01:13 PM
Banned

Seeing this makes me want to do a manual swap for reliability purposes, especially for the german trip, but my day to day lazy and realistic side is telling me i would start to hate driving the car
Old 17th May 2022, 08:25 PM

I prefer daily driving the Allroad to Big Red simply because of the gearbox. The auto ruins the 2.8 for me because it is so stupidly programmed. I'm not planning on taking a 5HP round Spa

Not much to report on the thread this evening. I put the oil back in the gearbox and put the gearbox back on the separating machine. Its going to spend overnight with two bellhousing bolts in and the valve body connector connected and make sure there are no more leaks before I reattach the converter and starter etc etc.

I pulled the power steering pipes off as they're pretty crusty. Hopefully I can get those off to the hydraulic shop tomorrow.
Old 21st May 2022, 08:18 PM

A good day today I put the engine and gearbox back on the subframe, but forgot to get any pics of that, then moved on to cleaning

First pass of APC

Sprayed with tar remover

Rinsed down after a second pass with APC

Nice and clean

The other side was much the same

Botang's hole needed attention, and since the interior is already out its pretty simple to take the electronics box out, and looking under here its a good job that I did! At some point in its life the water has got pretty high in here

Botang's hole just hiding there under the AC pipe

The source of the rust stains I've never seen one in this state, and tbh this is classified as 'nicht gerfingerpoken'. There are no more of these, and this is miraculously still working so I shall leave it alone. We can put it on the list for replacement when I reinvent this whole heater block

Hoovered out and there is an orange tide mark about 2" up

I attacked it with Bilt Hamber Auto-wheel, which is a first for me in this area! It immediately got to work on the iron and turned a deep purple.

Much better

The blower motor is getting replaced with a D3 version which is made considerably easier with the ecu box out as well

The D3 motor has a different connector

D2 connector spliced on to the D3 blower

Wrapped up

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	130.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	28497   Click image for larger version

Name:	131.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	28498   Click image for larger version

Name:	132.jpg
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	28499   Click image for larger version

Name:	133.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	28500   Click image for larger version

Name:	134.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	28501   Click image for larger version

Name:	135.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	28502   Click image for larger version

Name:	136.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	28503   Click image for larger version

Name:	137.jpg
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	28504   Click image for larger version

Name:	138.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	28505   Click image for larger version

Name:	139.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	28506  

Name:	140.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	28507   Click image for larger version

Name:	141.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	28508   Click image for larger version

Name:	142.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	28509   Click image for larger version

Name:	143.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	28510   Click image for larger version

Name:	144.jpg
Views:	606
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	28511   Click image for larger version

Name:	145.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	28512   Click image for larger version

Name:	146.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	28513   Click image for larger version

Name:	147.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	28514  
Old 21st May 2022, 08:26 PM

I've had some horrendous problems with the scuttle drains, the evidence is exposed above!
What exactly is the very rusty component that is "nicht gerfingerpoken" and is NLA but you're thinking of a solution to?
And what happens when it goes wrong?

Quote:
D2 connector spliced on to the D3 blower
I like your thinking.

Presumably all a bit more comfortable to work on with no bonnet?
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 21st May 2022 at 08:31 PM.
Old 21st May 2022, 08:37 PM

Very pleasant working with no bonnet That may become standard procedure.

The rusty lump is the water pump for the heater. Its built in to the side of the heater valve block and is supposed to push coolant through the two heater cores as the engine water pump doesn't have enough flow or pressure to get through the valve block. When the pump fails it just takes a while for the heater to heat up.

Good working valve blocks with good working motors are unobtanium now so I plan to redesign it using parts from the C7 A6 which has separate valves and pump. They're newer, cheaper and smaller. It's just going to need some creative plumbing to stick it in the space where the D2 valve block goes.

The drains are all clear now