A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 8th February 2012, 12:31 PM

I know you haven't seen mine and it's fairly lowly factory spec being a Final Edition, but does have the modern updates which lift it over many in spec terms, at least for me anyway!

I've had mine over a year now and I paid under £8k when it only had 40k on the clock - that was from a dealer too. The previous owner had spent similar sums of money maintaining mine (£7k spent in 9 months!) including a cambelt service and front brakes. I did buy in the run up to Xmas and the car had been advertised at just under £10k, but I think the dealer was getting nervous when nobody called!

My wheels aren't diamond cut any more, but are wearing decent PS2 tyres all round that were more or less new when I bought it.

IF you can find the right person you might find they're prepared to pay top end of the market for it because it's a genuine car, but as with all market economics it depends how long you're prepared to wait for that buyer.

The kind of bills you're talking about all add up to a cared for car, which makes a sale more likely once someone comes to view.

My mate who's serviced your car reckons yours is an absolute minter with attention to minor details that most people wouldn't bother with - certainly if you do decide to sell it would be a car for someone serious about having a D2 S8 for the long term

Guess the question is whether 2 V8s are as unlikely to see much use as the one you had before buying the Merc

Adrian

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 8th February 2012, 12:37 PM

Jayzee, your S8 is a beauty. Price it at the top end of the market, good ones should command a premuim.
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds
Old 8th February 2012, 01:02 PM

Default S8 price

It really depends how quickly u want to sell...and I would consider taking off non standard stuff and selling those separately...otherwise u might be waiting a while....mind you just put a couple of ads out...pistonheads and autotrader and then u know based on response...But ask a little bit more than u realistically want...cos any buyer is gona haggle no matter what...
Old 8th February 2012, 01:38 PM

Think Ranj is right, there have been a couple sitting at dealers for I think nearly a year now, priced at £7500 and £7950, obviously way too high and that shows in the fact they have not sold. Guess its worth at least the same as the other member's car which sold recently, but depends on your timing matching a potential buyer. Couple of sales recently on here have taken potential buyers from the list too, but there are also those waiting to move their current cars on before buying (Sarg). I would put it in at £6000, any more will probably not attract enough interest, that gives you scope to haggle down a bit if you really need to.

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey

Last edited by briang9; 8th February 2012 at 01:49 PM.
Old 8th February 2012, 02:17 PM

just as a side not to brian's point above, I'm afraid I'm pretty much decided on a D3, especially at the top end.

If a nice D2 S8 came in at about 4k I might change my mind, but at 6k it's got to be a D3 for me, the 4.2 is almost as powerful, but IMO looks better and has better spec/tech IMO
2000 FL D2 4.2 QS - SOLD 2011

Old 8th February 2012, 03:18 PM

We're probably getting close to that point where prices dwindle until supply starts to dry up

I'd not have a d3 over my d2, purely because mines not a daily driver and I wouldn't feel the same sense of occasion getting into a d3

I've been here with other cars in the past - namely mk2 cortinas that now sell for £7k plus, my Citroen BX 16v is now going up in value and have an army of people who'd give me £2.5k for it now, but I'm keeping for at least another 5 years. I suspect the d2 will do something similar and will find its level in the 'toy' market over the next decade

If I can keep the mileage sensible and have space to keep it/money to run it, I will keep mine until I can break even on purchase price

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 8th February 2012, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian E View Post
I'd not have a d3 over my d2, purely because mines not a daily driver and I wouldn't feel the same sense of occasion getting into a d3
Amen to that, the D2 is one of the best Audis ever made.
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds
Old 8th February 2012, 03:26 PM

I should add I have nothing against the d3 and as a daily driver would be v tempted! If money no object a v10 s8 would be on the fantasy shopping list in the event of a lottery win and the barn-sized garage I'd require!

Old 8th February 2012, 04:33 PM

I think you should keep the D2 as your weekend/ second car and enjoy the merc as a daily driver!!

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 8th February 2012, 05:04 PM

Hi mate.....

Always liked your car from the first time I saw it. Don't suppose you'd like a px of another 2002 Silver S8 with a few more miles and the standard Avus alloys plus cash your way........ then you could use the cheaper car as a run around (and not worry about it the way we obsessive enthusiasts do in car parks etc etc etc) or sell it all day long at a lower value which would make it easier sold ?

Just a thought........ Im happy enough with mine but yours in nicer and I would happily trade if it helped you any..... oh and of course me !!!!! LOL

Good luck no matter what you decide !!!!

Ricky !