A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Engine Bay

D3 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 27th June 2015, 11:38 AM

heater matrix behind centre console - nothing to be too worried about i used to get it on the S8 - perhaps a bit of air in coolant or the pressure differential = because when you switch it on the auxiliary heater pump starts working depending on the requested settings - which is a pump impeller and x2 solenoid valves which open / close to control the flow of coolant from engine side into the matrix. Wouldn't worry about it unless you don't have the right cabin temps when requested.
Old 27th June 2015, 03:27 PM

GgToday its been quite warm out. When I switched on the sound was much louder than earlier. A real bubbling sound. Someone else suggested I need a gas recharge. I think I need to take it in to Audi
A8 4.2TDI - Ice Silver, Comfort heated/cooled/massage Seats, Alcantara, Extended Leather pack, Ambient light pack, Solar roof, Night Vision, Lane change assist, Audi presense, Audi BrakeGuard, ACC Cruise, Blinds, Quad Air, AMI, Online services, Parking with rear Camera, Aluminium brushed inlays, Adaptive Zenons, High beam assist, Bose Sound, and more

Gone but not forgotten: A8 D3 2005- AMI HDD, Audible Parking, TV, NAV, Bluetooth, Hybrid TV, Aftermarket headrest monitors, Rosstech VCDS / Vagcom
Old 8th July 2015, 08:01 AM

Default Guess the cost game

been down to Audi - they have cleared the plenum chamber and drains so any future water will run off as it should, but the water in the heater box is still there and wont run off

can anyone guess the cost of removal of the water
A8 4.2TDI - Ice Silver, Comfort heated/cooled/massage Seats, Alcantara, Extended Leather pack, Ambient light pack, Solar roof, Night Vision, Lane change assist, Audi presense, Audi BrakeGuard, ACC Cruise, Blinds, Quad Air, AMI, Online services, Parking with rear Camera, Aluminium brushed inlays, Adaptive Zenons, High beam assist, Bose Sound, and more

Gone but not forgotten: A8 D3 2005- AMI HDD, Audible Parking, TV, NAV, Bluetooth, Hybrid TV, Aftermarket headrest monitors, Rosstech VCDS / Vagcom
Old 8th July 2015, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limoncello View Post
been down to Audi - they have cleared the plenum chamber and drains so any future water will run off as it should, but the water in the heater box is still there and wont run off

can anyone guess the cost of removal of the water
I'll start with a high guess - £4,100. Which is what they told me it would cost to replace the broken circular cap for MMI-type access in the centre console of my D2 S8.
It needed the whole unit removed, they said, including taking the dash out... A8 Parts replaced it for a tenner.
Hopefully your quote is more sensible.
Old 8th July 2015, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin View Post
I'll start with a high guess - £4,100. Which is what they told me it would cost to replace the broken circular cap for MMI-type access in the centre console of my D2 S8.
It needed the whole unit removed, they said, including taking the dash out... A8 Parts replaced it for a tenner.
Hopefully your quote is more sensible.
not by much, the amount of work involved obviosly no parts required so just time comes to 3K

i opted not to, so am now looking at whether there may be a way to get a tube down the vent, similar to a D2 video on youtube where the guy uses a straw in to the rear vent, the straw goes in to a 2 litre empty bottle, and a vacuam cleaner then attaches to the top, and ingeniusly sucks out the water

anyone know how far this heater box is from the front central vents or indeed if its possible to get a thin tube in to it

Old 8th July 2015, 08:27 PM

Or use mine and delboys advice and do it yourself
Old 8th July 2015, 08:32 PM

the drains have been done by audi, for free i should add, so all ineed to do is get the water out

if its a 20 hour job for Audi i wont be donig it, and i wont be paying 3k either, thats why im wondering if i can do the straw trick i saw on youtube through the central air vent

Old 8th July 2015, 08:45 PM

I thought you just said the plenum drains where done? That's not the evaporator, the link delboy posted is for the evaporator behind the dash, just because Audi say it take 20 hours doesn't mean it has too, your supposed to take the engine out to replace the top tensioners on the 3.0tdi and apart from my own balls up it's completely possible without removing the engine

They look on thier computer on how to do a job, Hence the previous reply regarding the mmi button.

The plenum drains are cleaned from underneath the car the two tubes inside the cabin going through the trans tunnel are for the evaporator in the centre of the dash.
Old 8th July 2015, 08:51 PM

yes they said they did the evaporator drains and the plenum chamber. so any new water will run of, the water left has spilled in to the heater box

thats the way they tell it, so according to them the 20 hours involvestaking the dash apart to get to the box

Old 8th July 2015, 09:08 PM

That's clear that up then, if you could find the heater box and get a Dremel in there drill a small hole leave till water is out then seal back up again.

Or use the heater on full blast for a bit, hopefully it'll evaporate back into the evaporator where it'll now have a route back out of the car.