A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Interior Electrics

D2 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 5th September 2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloss View Post
Using a Mulitmeter set to the beeper alarm just touch each visible end of the fuse while it's in position, it should beep: no beep = duff fuse/connection.

Don't hold it on for long as, depending on type of meter, you may complete the circuit and have current going through the meter.

As you are checking a small part within a circuit there will be no shorting or problem caused elsewhere
I've tested all the fuses and they all had continuity across them. I checked for wiring diagrams in elsawin but couldn't find anything.

Has anyone got any wiring diagrams associated with the glovebox light wiring?
Old 5th September 2012, 12:02 PM

Something just occurred to me so I went out to my car to check....

You need at least the side lights on before the Glovebox one will work
Old 5th September 2012, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloss View Post
Something just occurred to me so I went out to my car to check....

You need at least the side lights on before the Glovebox one will work
That's that one sorted then!! I just assumed it would work all the time as did the one in my previous car
Old 4th October 2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Thanks for that, a job for another day methinks.
Well, I "finally" got round to doing that today.
Not really difficult, just 3 bolts, but with my big arthritic hands a real swine to get at, especially the innermost one.

Here's a tip: Loosen all 3 bolts a turn or so first, then take the innermost bolt (near the release catch) off, then the outermost (low down) and finally the "central" one, that way it's relatively stable while doing the trickiest ones.
Reinstall in reverse order and don't fully tighten until all bolts are engaged in the threads as you might need a bit of "wiggle room" to get them all in.

My problem was that my glovebox light cover was broken (usually rubbish retaining catches) and I wanted to install an LED bulb too. All fine now, though there's a fair bit of duct tape on the glovebox "roof" now holding everything in place.
(if that bulb blows it's everything out again to replace it )
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 4th October 2012, 02:35 PM

Sauce,

What bulb is in there so I can have one ready for the job...
Old 4th October 2012, 02:38 PM

It's a little bayonet sort of thing, I'll look up what I bought on eBay and update here.....

Edit: BA9s I think. (Maybe also known as T11?)

Can't recall if the polarity is right for LED's or not; if it isn't you'll need to swap the 2 little spade terminals around on the bulbholder.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BA9s.JPG
Views:	228
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	4943  
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 4th October 2012 at 06:20 PM.
Old 4th October 2012, 06:24 PM

Quote:
(if that bulb blows it's everything out again to replace it )
And if that happens I'll dispense with the cover and everything and just use one of those small "panels" of LED's held in place with double-sided tape, though that will need a bit of "splicing" on the wiring.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LEDpanel.JPG
Views:	240
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	4944  
Old 5th October 2012, 06:41 AM

Quote:
It's a little bayonet sort of thing, I'll look up what I bought on eBay and update here.....

Edit: BA9s I think. (Maybe also known as T11?)

Can't recall if the polarity is right for LED's or not; if it isn't you'll need to swap the 2 little spade terminals around on the bulbholder.
Thanks for that. I've got a couple of them so may do that this weekend if the bliddy rain stops
Old 5th October 2012, 08:42 AM

I think my final observation on this is that, as has been noted elsewhere, the glovebox light unit has very fragile mounting clips and is difficult to access.
Not only that, but I found the wiring to it had little or no slack, making access even just to change the bulb very tricky. (well, I totally failed and broke the thing )

On that basis I would definitely recommend removing the glovebox unit as a whole ("just" 3 hex-head bolts - 8mm I think) to get at the light.
Old 5th October 2012, 04:59 PM

Roger that.

FYI a T11 bulb is the fog light size so it'll be the B9 I think