A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Lights

D3 - Lights Headlights, xenons, foglights. Everything outside the car that glows

Old 16th October 2015, 08:43 PM

For future reference

To adjust headlight aim you need to go into VCDS and tell the lights your going to adjust them, can't remember the exact unit now, but you select the option and you'll get a warning on the dash, adjust the headlight using the screws on the headligh body till they are aligned and then let the level ecu relearn it's parameters when logging out with VCDS, it's all on the internet somewhere and iv had a long day
Old 18th October 2015, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
You do not need to adjust lights if you lowered front and rear by the same amount.

Yeah my fronts are lower mate to give it the stance I'm after. Having to flick the full beam on a fair amount lol.
Old 18th October 2015, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnzybubbles View Post
For future reference

To adjust headlight aim you need to go into VCDS and tell the lights your going to adjust them, can't remember the exact unit now, but you select the option and you'll get a warning on the dash, adjust the headlight using the screws on the headligh body till they are aligned and then let the level ecu relearn it's parameters when logging out with VCDS, it's all on the internet somewhere and iv had a long day

Cheers mate, I thought as much......

I saw the adjusters but I reckoned it would throw a code or just go back to normal before I started?

So vcds light adjust, code comes up as a warning Bing, then adjust lights, let the vcds know I've changed it just log out?
Old 18th October 2015, 03:19 PM

Fitted my led sidelights and of course, error codes. So took them out and put them as puddle lights. I've got 4 more coming as I was going to do my puddle lights anyways.

So I might aswell do my headlining/ambient bulbs now but I do like the subtle glow the yellow bulbs give off. What's people's thoughts on this and I take it there also w5w t10 like the puddle lights?

And I take it to change the main build behind the projector lense it's a wheel arch liner off job?

I can do the full beam bulb easy enough as its next to the sidelight but looks more involved doing dip.

What are people's opinion on this change. Non xenon.
Old 18th October 2015, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADES View Post
have you tried the adjusters (hex) on the top of the headlight ?

I haven't in fear of throwing a code so will find out for deffo tomorrow at my local indy.
Old 18th October 2015, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADES View Post
have you tried the adjusters (hex) on the top of the headlight ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnzybubbles View Post
For future reference

LoL, sounds like my MOT tester wasted his time then, he has 'a thing' about headlamp adjustment and is forever seen tweaking the adjuster screws so if I see him at it next time I'll let him know he's wasting his time

Nite Blue 3.0L SE Quattro
Old 16th November 2015, 06:49 AM
Banned

So what bulbs are used on the fixed cornering lights on AFS2 ?

I have AFS2 and main beam is shockingly bad and the lights are new 2010 ... lovely clear lenses ect

I'm looking at upping the watts of the fogs and coding to come on with main beam and perhaps adjusting the angle so they help light up the read more..

Mind you the square fogs on the D3 are not great they dissipate the light rather than focusing it in a beam...

Any suggestions?
Old 16th November 2015, 12:44 PM

The cornering lanterns are H8 35W
I replaced mine with:
http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/Mj6iEAEAA?af=138255236
about the same brightness but look better.

The main beam on the bi-xenon aren't great but all you can do is get whatver the best D2S bulbs are.
I don't think there is a fog-with main beam coding.
The beam pattern on the fogs is the opposite of what is needed for main beam.
You would have to replace them with spotlamps or somehow embed some in the original housings.