A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Wheels and Tyres

D2 - Wheels and Tyres Refurbing, center caps, tyre brands, tyrefitters - discuss it here

Old 24th January 2012, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gninnam View Post
OK - anyone got a recommendation
This is what my neighbour said:
Quote:
I used these people this time: http://www.topgear-sales.co.uk In the past I've also bought them from my local car dealer when we owned a Volvo.

I think that Weissenfels are the leading brand - but I chose a cheaper Italian brand because I'm not intending to use them for extended periods. In general, it's the Winter Tyres which are mandatory but chains might be needed as well if there's deep snow - which there is at present.

If it's Germany, it's now quite expensive to be caught driving without Winter Tyres, even for visitors from overseas. If you cause a traffic delay because of it, the fine is doubled. If you're involved in an accident and don't have them fitted.......
He also said:
Quote:
What I would suggest is that anybody new to the things should practice fitting them in nice dry, comfortable conditions. It's not immediately obvious how they fit!

Last edited by HPsauce; 24th January 2012 at 08:34 AM.
Old 25th January 2012, 06:22 PM

Default Snowsocks spotted in Tignes

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviesbike View Post
Snow socks are a Great alternative and they work very well just have a look on ebay ect in some cases they are just as good as chains but they double as protectors for your wheels as well
Just returned from Tignes last week. Plenty of snow on the roads going in and out and saw several cars (including 2 Dutch Audi's (A4 and A6) with snow socks. We had hire car with standard tyres and were too mean to pay 45 Euro to hire chains. Just followed the snow plough!
Old 25th January 2012, 08:52 PM

Cheers for that Mr HPSauce

Will look at the site and see what's what.

I will be getting winter tyres as i saw the thread on here some time ago from a user (for the life of me can't remember who it was) who recommended a retailer in Oldham (not to far from where I used to live) for the tyres so will look to do that in a month or so.

Cheers

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Triumph Daytona 675 (2017 reg)

===========================

Gone but not forgotten

Ford Focus ST-2 Mk3 (the wifes) (stolen Oct 2023)

1972 T2 Bay Window Camper (Slow)

Audi TT Mk1 225 - now with coil-overs and a 7inch touchscreen infotainment centre

2003 A8 Sport 4.2 (with ACC & LPG) (Feed up with all the issues so passed it on to a forum member)

2000 A8 FL QS 4.2 (with RNS-E - Nice) (Engine poorly so sold on to be brought back by someone who has the time)