A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 10th February 2017, 12:02 PM

Have you looked at Jaguar?
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 10th February 2017, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Have you looked at Jaguar?
Which one?

XE: not a fan, no real performance version compared with the germans
XF: bit old in the tooth, tried one a few years ago, I fell out of the seat (literally!) going round a roundabout enthusiastically
XJ: like the looks, but would rather a D4 with 4wd
F-Type: love them, but only 2 seats so would only work as a weekend car, and too expensive/depreciating for that
F-Pace: possible daily driver contender
2000 FL D2 4.2 QS - SOLD 2011

Old 10th February 2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarg View Post
That's an unexpected response on this forum Goran, but I agree with you and with a lot of stuff Chris Harris says.
Like you I just want a fun, reliable car, I am not wedded to the Audi marque. That's what I like about this forum we don't defend Audi religiously, if there are design flaws we come out and say it, and if there are better cars people don't hesitate to reccommend them. Having been with Audi for over 8 years now I am itching to try something different. I never owned a rear wheel drive car so that is also something I want to tick off the list
Old 10th February 2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Which one?
Well I think you answered that.

You mentioned a small garage; what about the choice we made for our "daily", Volvo V40? Same size as a Ford Focus but very different and ours has all the toys, 4WD, 8-speed auto and about as fast 0-60 as the S8 though just a 2-litre (petrol) turbo delivering about 250bhp.
We narrowed it down to that or a Jaguar XE, but the Volvo won on penalties!
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 10th February 2017 at 01:24 PM.
Old 10th February 2017, 01:21 PM

Based on looking at C63 and Mustangs, have you considered a Hellcat? or is RHD the only way to go?
Old 10th February 2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1781cc View Post
Based on looking at C63 and Mustangs, have you considered a Hellcat? or is RHD the only way to go?
RHD is less of a consideration than the £65k plus these cost (just looked on AT) and unknown levels of depreciation

Old 10th February 2017, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Which one?

XE: not a fan, no real performance version compared with the germans
XF: bit old in the tooth, tried one a few years ago, I fell out of the seat (literally!) going round a roundabout enthusiastically
XJ: like the looks, but would rather a D4 with 4wd
F-Type: love them, but only 2 seats so would only work as a weekend car, and too expensive/depreciating for that
F-Pace: possible daily driver contender
The XE comes with an option of the same engine V6 as the F-Type, pretty quick at under 5.00 secs to 60

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey
Old 10th February 2017, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briang9 View Post
The XE comes with an option of the same engine V6 as the F-Type, pretty quick at under 5.00 secs to 60
Indeed it does, we test drove both that (3-litre 340PS) and the most powerful 2-litre petrol (240PS).
The 2-litre is fine, the 3-litre quite quick. For the money our choice would have been the 2-litre as there's a huge price premium for the 3-litre.
Old 10th February 2017, 11:01 PM

Quote:
..Sarg..buy something for a grand, it's surprising how much reliability and comfort you can get for shed money
and this weeks PH Shed of the week could just be the one for you

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...--1999/6798218

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey
Old 11th February 2017, 12:33 AM

Quote:
It does, but it's 340i/S4/C43 power, Jaguar really needs a proper high performance XE above this one. I still don't like the looks of the thing though, but I'll drop by a Jag showroom and have a proper poke and feel some time soon.

Even then, as HP points out, they're too much money, I forecast heavy depreciation on these over the next couple of years, especially if Jag do bring out a more powerful model.