A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Engine Bay

D3 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 23rd October 2015, 06:14 AM
Banned

Turbo actuator can cause the issues you discribed. Often intermittent however sounds like yours has thrown the towl in.
So your driving with the waste gate open all the time and not building boost pressure.

Sounds daft but could be cured with a throttle body alignment it can drop out of correlation and it relays on throttle position to give an accurate amount of boost to correspond to with throttle position/requested power.

Failing that I'd hazard a guess at a new turbo actuator motor
Old 23rd October 2015, 10:25 AM

So you say the turbo acctuator the same part as the manifold runners .... definatley the same part number ??

So if you swap the motors around the manifold runner that does do its sweep correctly, if you try every motor on that bank do all 3 motors work ??

If yes ,you know its not a motor issue ....well still could be a tracking switch issue but i digress.........

Try leaving both manifold runners motors un plugged so the ecm will drop the limp status value into place for them , switch ignition off for a bit to allow for reboot then see if the turbo acctuator does its sweep .

In fact the sweeps may not take place whilst the codes are logged , the ecm can dissable the function. I assume you havent got a code reader that you can use to clear down .

Try this un plug both manifold runners plugs , dissconnect battery negative lead and hold over on to positive terminal for 30 seconds or so ...this is called HBR ...... hard battery reset ......it draws down all memory holding capacitors and any kam memory functions , then see if turbo acctuator does a sweep .

Lee
Old 24th October 2015, 11:59 AM

It's not identical part numbers, they have different letters at the end - but I've opened each one of them up to regrets the gears and I can confirm they are all identical parts for sure.

They have all been rotated and the fault has stuck with the same side, left side actuator - and it has always behaved the same whichever of the parts I have used at that time.

I unplugged the manifold runners as you suggested, gave it sometime and started the ignition... the turbo definitely did a sweep in this instance!

I don't have a code reader but my neighbour does - and these faults will not clear. As soon as you clear and start the ignition, they're all instantly back on.

I genuinely think there is an electrical issue and it is not as simple as I had hoped anymore.

---

In other news, I've ordered the new car regardless of this trade in... I'm too tired stressing over the Audi! Welcome to the world of the Mercedes S Class
Old 24th October 2015, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo View Post
In other news, I've ordered the new car regardless of this trade in... I'm too tired stressing over the Audi! Welcome to the world of the Mercedes S Class
Sorry it's a struggle to fix.
Good luck with the S-class, I like them looks wise but never been in one, what model/age?
We used to have an 02 C-class and the quality was truly atrocious with regards to rust, electrical faults and supergluing broken clips etc.. I vowed never to buy another, but have they have since learned their lesson.
Please post back how it compares.

Last edited by snapdragon; 24th October 2015 at 12:28 PM.
Old 24th October 2015, 12:39 PM

Thanks!

Well, I'm not too much of a fan of the brand new-new shape, because the last one was so aggressive. So I've purchased a 2012 W221 S-Class, AMG body kit, 50k miles... I get to pick it up after they complete their pre-delivery inspection, so likely Monday or Tuesday!

Some pics I took when I was there are attached here if you're interested... worth noting I took this particular one as 1) I've never had a white car, and this is a designo paint, and 2) it has a B&O sound system which quite literally ****s on the Bose of the D3 A8 I have!

Drive wise it's nice and comfortable, just kind of glides over everything. It's a strange one to describe, but it is nice, and you sit in a commanding position with a lovely long bonnet ahead of you. Space is aplenty and I just love it from every angle.

Anyway, aside from that basic overview, I have only really gone on a long test drive and played with it at the garage... so can't give anymore detail than what I have so far... once I have it here, I'll do something more detailed for you.

(Just blocked out the number plate in the pics) ... sorry they're so dull, wasn't exactly a sunny day when i took the pics...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAGE211.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	573.6 KB
ID:	12009   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAGE212.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	683.9 KB
ID:	12010   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAGE213.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	665.4 KB
ID:	12011  
Old 24th October 2015, 01:08 PM

I found the W221 cramped and claustrophobic, a bit like being stuck in a Mini with 5 other people. It's a big car but the interior space is pathetic IMO

Nite Blue 3.0L SE Quattro
Old 24th October 2015, 01:26 PM

Seriously?! I can only assume you went from an LWB A8 as a comparison then because by all measures the SWB W221 is far larger inside than the SWB A8 !
Old 24th October 2015, 01:37 PM

It was a SWB W221 I was in.

Old 24th October 2015, 01:43 PM

Dunno what to tell you mate, perhaps you grew between switching cars lol because by all measurements (wheelbase, interior cabin space in litres, width of cabin, height of cabin...) the W221 pips the A8...

I understand each to their own and opinions will vary on likes and dislikes, I am just contending the issue of you saying it was physically smaller and claustrophobic. Seems like a crazy observation but hey ho thanks for your constructive input

PS: Yes I assume you were perhaps comparing the SWB W211 with the LWB A8, hence that would make sense feeling claustrophobic! As of course the A8 LWB is going to be much roomier than the SWB competition.
Old 24th October 2015, 02:12 PM

I had never sat in an A8 when I tried the W221. I had a W220 at the time and comparing the 2 cars the W221 did feel a lot smaller