A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Interior Electrics

D3 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 8th December 2016, 04:38 PM

Ok. So glovebox out, (not forgetting the two hidden screws behind the discchanger and AMI). Interface plugged in for trial use, simulated reverse with positive supply and video comes onto the screen.

So, great so far....

However, when I remove the positive input the MMI screen just goes black. Only when I switch the ignition off does the MMI screen function again?!?!

Can anyone help, cos as you may have guessed electronics is not really my forte.

TIA John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0855.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	271.7 KB
ID:	15219   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0856.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	386.3 KB
ID:	15220  

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

2008 D3, gone, but not forgotten after 9 years and 90k.
Old 8th December 2016, 05:02 PM

Nothing is as simple as it first seems.
Any chance, John, that you could attach a copy of the add on connection diagram?
With my setup I needed three supplies.
1 Constant 12 volt
2 Ignition fed 12 volt
3 Reverse 12 volt.

Of course it also needed an earth.

Then there was video in, two connections actual video and the screen.

Mine is more complicated than yours because it can do many other things but I only use it for the reverse camera so I have a few unused connections.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 8th December 2016, 06:27 PM

Hi Ray. Thanks for the input. I've wired the interface in and replaced the glovebox, that's enough for tonight.

I'll have another go on the weekend. I'm probably missing something simple enough cos I'm tired and it's dark or creating a problem by not actually fitting the thing and following the instructions. I've seen wiring diagram somewhere, so maybe that will help, I will post it up if I do find it.

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

Old 8th December 2016, 06:44 PM

I'm out all day Saturday in York with a 12 metre coach but might be available to come and give you some encouragement on Sunday.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 8th December 2016, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc4332 View Post
I'm out all day Saturday in York with a 12 metre coach but might be available to come and give you some encouragement on Sunday.
You're very generous Ray. I'll try and get it boxed off Saturday. Maybe I could pop over to you, before I get to slitting my wrists, I don't want to put you out. You could maybe cast an experienced eye over the thing and maybe have A8 themed chinwag.

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

Old 8th December 2016, 07:07 PM

Just to add a bit more info, the wire from the camera to the interface is sort of phono to phono with red wire pigtales, if that makes sense,... I'm not entirely sure what the purpose of the red wires is.... I don't have a wiring diagram as such, just the 'manual'.

Hopefully the attached images will explain what I'm going on about.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0860.PNG
Views:	170
Size:	492.9 KB
ID:	15221   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0861.PNG
Views:	167
Size:	548.5 KB
ID:	15222   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0862.PNG
Views:	169
Size:	526.0 KB
ID:	15223   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0864.PNG
Views:	166
Size:	3.75 MB
ID:	15224  

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

Old 8th December 2016, 07:23 PM

The red wire is to send power down(+12v) if you need it. Either way, as required.

In my reversing camera install I take the +12v locally from the reversing light to power the camera AND feed it down the cable to power the interface box (which is in the cabin at the front of the car). The box is earthed using a convenient earth point - there are loads.

BUT mine is a D2 and interfacing to an RNS-D so lots of interface differences. Also I can live without the 3 different power feeds as I have to manually switch the display to TV (= camera) whatever power setup exists.

Though interestingly I do get "blank" screens (and no sound) at times, though I do know why. The RNS "remembers" that it has TV input even when the camera has no power so displays blank. Though various events cause it to switch away from that mode so it's never a problem.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions and extended leather. Ski hatch retrofit. Aftermarket reversing camera. DVB-T and XCarlink now removed as redundant.
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. Agate Grey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, Tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon. Added Auto-dim mirror, Leather seats, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 8th December 2016, 07:27 PM

Cheers HP. Having thought a bit more, and read a bit more I've realised they're trigger wires. I'm now wondering if the MMI will resort to normal after the car is driven above a certain speed... Like when the parking distance control switches off. I'll have another bash when I've more time/light/patience.

Cheers Chaps

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

Old 8th December 2016, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnmed View Post
Having thought a bit more, and read a bit more I've realised they're trigger wires. I'm now wondering if the MMI will resort to normal after the car is driven above a certain speed...
Yes, mine does that, but being an older RNS-D it's totally different.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions and extended leather. Ski hatch retrofit. Aftermarket reversing camera. DVB-T and XCarlink now removed as redundant.
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. Agate Grey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, Tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon. Added Auto-dim mirror, Leather seats, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 9th December 2016, 09:25 AM

John, sorry for the slow answer, I bedded early 'cos I had a 03:00 this morning. I'll pm you my number so you can call me Sunday.

HP, thanks for your input, you are correct about the red tails.

Because I have used a video transmit/receive between the camera and the add on box I did not run a video cable front to rear, as an afterthought I do think that I managed to overcomplicate it, but it works absolutely hands free for me. But I used the more expensive x-carlink.