A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Body and Exterior

D3 - Body and Exterior Bumpers, bonnets, glass, trims - Everything outside

Old 3rd June 2014, 01:46 PM

As long as the spacing and font size is legal and correct, you can have whatever shape front and rear plate you like.

Lots of cars can come with different shape rear plate from new - Jaguar, Lexus, Bentley, Land Rovers etc. you can have a great big star-shaped plate if you like, just as long as the letters are legal.
- Aqua Blue D2 S8 - Grey leather/Alcantara
- D3 A8 3.0 CVT
- D3 3.7 V8
Old 3rd June 2014, 01:52 PM

I understand what the law says about plates.
But I was just wondering why cars have to have them and bikes don't.
Bikes did have them on their front mud guards, so why did it change?
I guess that's a question for a different thread.
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 3rd June 2014, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottB5 View Post
I understand what the law says about plates.
But I was just wondering why cars have to have them and bikes don't.
I attended a speed awareness course a few years go and I actually asked that question to one of the guys who was talking there and also asked what are the police doing about the bikes that speed through the forward-facing average speed cameras aka. the yellow vultures. He was an ex-traffic cop and advanced driver blah blah blah.

Was a bit like the House of Commons when I asked the question - others were goading me on and muttering in agreement and the best answer he could come up with was that if the same bike is speeding through every day then members of the public will report said bike and they will assume that biker travels through that stretch of cameras at the same time each day and they will be waiting to intercept him when they expect him to be there!
- D3 A8 3.0 CVT
- D3 3.7 V8
Old 3rd June 2014, 02:09 PM

I've always found it odd.
Only had a front plate on the past vehicles cause I could not find a method that I was happy with with removing it, until now.

DVLA says this for bikes.
Quote:
Motorcycles and motor tricycles registered on or after 1 September 2001 must only display a number plate at the rear of the vehicle.

If you ride a motorbike or motor tricycle registered before 1 September 2001 you can also display a number plate at the front, but you don’t have to.

Motorcycle and motor tricycle number plate numbers should be on 2 lines.
I've never found a decent answer from anyone with in the law about it.

EDIT:
This is a new line to me
Quote:
Characters on a number plate can be 3D
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 3rd June 2014, 02:14 PM

Quote:
This is a new line to me:
Characters on a number plate can be 3D
That's right, 3D effect lettering is somehow allowed. Looks a bit tacky and boy racer-ish imo. A honeycomb background is also legal I believe.
- D3 A8 3.0 CVT
- D3 3.7 V8
Old 3rd June 2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:
I've never found a decent answer from anyone with in the law about it.
A quick goole search revealed:

Manufactures spend millions on getting the aerodynamics right on a bike. With only two wheels, in line, the slightest change to the frontal area can have significant effect on the stability of the machine, even at speeds of 70mph. Adding an old blade style plate, especially a flexible one, would alter the dynamics in an unimaginable way. And what about the poor old pedestrian, (or wanabe biker as I like to think of them,)being sliced open before being thrown a few hundred yards is just going to make them more upset.

Sounds like common sense to me.

Plus, in the future, number plates will include RFID technology, so a camera being able to 'see' the plate will be totally unnecessary anyway.
2000 FL D2 4.2 QS - SOLD 2011

Old 4th June 2014, 06:11 AM

When its put like that it does make sense.

RFID chip, no need for plates.
Amazing!!
Old 4th June 2014, 09:07 AM

Quote:
When its put like that it does make sense.

RFID chip, no need for plates.
Amazing!!
Soon you will have RFID chip in yourself and face recognitiongood enough so that cameras will pick up the driver

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 4th June 2014, 11:13 AM

Why do you think the BCG injection leaves such a scar

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 9th July 2014, 09:00 PM
Banned

In some states in america a front number plate is not required and audi sell A8 and S8 with just a grill .. no blanking plate just straight chrome slats and it looks lovely

Further to the motorbike argument .. I myself am a biker and always wandered how a brand new bike at £8000 is allowed no front plate and yet a £250000 ferrari 458 italia with aero dynamics that are costing ferrari 17 million a year just to perfect are made to display a front number plate

My friend removed his from his 458 quite rightly it was awfull

We got stopped and he was given a telling off and a producer to show he had gone and fitted one ...
After 3 days we fit a show plate much smaller ...

He then got a fine for incorrectly sized characters on the number plate

Twisted ..and makes me angry when I had points for the aaverage speed zone and had I have been on my bike I would have had non at all because of no front plate