A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > IT, AV and other Tech

IT, AV and other Tech All computing, home cinema and technology that isnt car related

Old 1st January 2018, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
I turned it back down to 3.7K as its just too loud at 4K. The extra 300 hashes will make an extra £10 a month but need another 1000rpm on the fans to stay below 60° - not worth the racket.
Mine is running quite happily on auto fan 74C 2000rpm

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 1st January 2018, 01:34 PM

Interesting. I wonder if the memory on yours is more stable at high temperatures than mine? They would lock up after a while of running at much over 70°, I think because the memory runs quite a bit hotter than that. Part of getting them to behave was getting the temperatures down much lower so now I set target temp of 65° and min fan speed of 2500 rpm. With -20% power limit they run at ~50° with fan speed of 2800 which is fine. With no power limit (4K mode) they need 3500-4000 rpm to maintain 50-60 which is just too much.
Old 2nd January 2018, 08:32 AM

L3+ is back in stock.

Annoyingly bittylicious won't let me buy from my current IP address as the ships internet is routed through Norway.

Anyone have enough bch to buy one and a ps and I can bank transfer the cash?

Old 2nd January 2018, 09:01 AM

Is the L3+ still worth buying? According to Nicehash it's only making about £10 a day.
Old 2nd January 2018, 09:19 AM

Is that not acceptable?

Old 2nd January 2018, 09:46 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

I probably don't have sufficient BCH right now but I could convert some BTC if you're still stuck and you still want to buy an L3+. I'd prefer to be paid back in either BTC or BCH though (rather than 'old money') once you're able to exchange some.
------------------------------------------------------

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 2nd January 2018, 06:38 PM

Thanks for the kind offer. Work got in the way of me doing anything about this earlier.

Been bouncing around the Atlantic for a week and today they wanted to do something.

On reflection I'll probably leave it till I get home now and do as someone recommend and buy bch when it dips again.

Definitely spikes when Bitmain have stuff for sale.

Old 3rd January 2018, 10:34 PM

Default Snafu

Massive balls-up by Intel with their recently announced chip flaw that will need to be patched at the OS level, or by replacing the hardware (CPU) itself. I bet all of you running mining rigs with Intel CPUs are going to take a performance hit when the patch gets released, although I know your mining pretty much gets done by the graphics cards. Those with AMD aren't affected.

And in other rather timely news, it looks like the Intel CEO recently sold off a large amount of shares, see story here: https://www.fool.com/investing/2017/...-of-stock.aspx
Old 4th January 2018, 07:50 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

I read about that, briefly, a couple of days ago. I expect it'll impact some of my customer's servers, especially those using virtual environments, but it should have zero impact on mining performance. The CPU in a mining rig plays no real part, except to run the OS. I run crappy Celeron CPUs in most of my GPU rigs for that reason.

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 4th January 2018, 08:49 AM

The impact of this could be huge when you look at it from a server perspective. If laptops and PCs slow down by 30% then the general public will grumble about it and eventually get used to it, but servers are usually sized on required performance v load. If suddenly we need 30% extra CPU resource to get the same application performance, that's going to impact hosting costs for *everything*. While CPU is not the only factor in server costs, its a significant one (storage and networking being the others). Say its 1/3rd the cost of a server for simplicity - as of Tuesday afternoon, every application server, web server, email server, streaming server, etc etc could suddenly jump in cost by 10%, assuming we want performance to stay the same (and users always do). Someone has to eat that extra cost, and its not going to be the hosting providers. Ultimately it'll trickle down to the consumer as such things always do.

I have a few CPUs mining cryptonight - the i5 in my workshop PC actually does 210H/s which is better that my GTX960! From what I know of this flaw, I don't think it will actually have much impact on mining as the flaw is based around protected system-level stuff in the CPU kernel. The performance hit comes from having to switch between user and system level processes, as the CPU has to flush it's cache every time. Mining is all compute and so shouldn't actually need much, if any, kernel type activity, but it all depends on whether MS have applied any finesse to the patch or just bashed it with a rock. It shouldn't have any impact on GPU mining.