A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions

Old 7th April 2011, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godders View Post
Removed the box first but if I had to do it again I'd leave it in place, there's enough room to get the cables fed around the back

None of the cables were kinked, I took time messing about with it and took out the CD again so I could pull the cables through to stop that happening.

I did think about the 'last push' but that'll be a last resort.

From memory the depth of the cubby is around 180mm and the AMI unit is 184mm. I think my big size 12 will be brought into play
Well I'm not sure why yours wouldn' fit. Audi wouldn't manufacture something fitted from factory that doesn't go straight in

I think you should push it right in properly before you cut behind your glovebox unnecessarily. It does fit Like I said, it's a rather positive push, then you will hear the satisfying "click"

The only thing I can think that might mean it wont sit "home" is there is something a miss when you re-installed the glovebox. See I didn't remove mine because I had been tol it didn't have to be removed when I did my homework (mainly on here-thanks all ) Maybe thats why I didn't have any issues. Took literally 10 mins max from start to finish

07 Silver D3 A/S8L Quattro S8 front end, Xenons, Bose, Bluetooth, Voice Control, Autodim mirrors, Heated folding mirrors, Double Glazed Windows, Electric Rear & Side Blinds, Black leather Comfort Seats with front memory seats & mirrors, Front & rear heated seats, Interior/Exterior light pack, TV.I.M, AMI, Parking sensors Front & Rear, Air suspension (soon to be lowered), Keyless entry & Start/Stop, 4 zone climate control, Power Boot Open/Close.
Old 7th April 2011, 08:15 PM

Hi Bex
I've PM'd you. I'm itching to put all the advice on here into practice
Old 7th April 2011, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonupkid View Post
Hi Bex
I've PM'd you. I'm itching to put all the advice on here into practice
Hi Nick, I am picking it up for you tomorrow Sorry I have been a combination of ill and busy this week which has sucked royaly-but I am feeling better a few days into the antibiotics

Will text you tomorrow and let you know I have your AMI

07 Silver D3 A/S8L Quattro S8 front end, Xenons, Bose, Bluetooth, Voice Control, Autodim mirrors, Heated folding mirrors, Double Glazed Windows, Electric Rear & Side Blinds, Black leather Comfort Seats with front memory seats & mirrors, Front & rear heated seats, Interior/Exterior light pack, TV.I.M, AMI, Parking sensors Front & Rear, Air suspension (soon to be lowered), Keyless entry & Start/Stop, 4 zone climate control, Power Boot Open/Close.
Old 8th April 2011, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A8L Chick View Post
Well I'm not sure why yours wouldn' fit. Audi wouldn't manufacture something fitted from factory that doesn't go straight in
Unfortunately, in this instance, I think Audi have, unless I was either given the wrong part number (though it was a dealer) / the original has been superseeded and the housing changed or there are numerous AMIs with different mounting systems. The AMI I have is too long to fit the hole it's meant to occupy. After I'd dismissed the idea of cables stopping it being pushed home I got out the tape measure and the moulded plastic housing is around 4-5mm too deep and I'm not prepared to force it 'home' - with that distance to bridge something will get damaged, the stress on the plastics will be too great.

I've had too many years spannering cars to 'force' things and spent heaps of time fixing faults where other technicians have and then broken something.

I took the drawer out last night and it has a higher back to it to stop anything falling out of the back so I'm going to get the dremel out this weekend and 'modify' the AMI plastic housing. I'm not happy about this after spending this amount of money but once it's in I'll forget about it.

Maybe the cubby on the later cars, like yours, is deeper.

A friend had an AMI professionally fitted recently (he was too impatient to wait and let me do it) to his 2007 A6 and the installer (who does this day in day out) cut a section out of the back of his glove box with a Dremel to make it fit.
Factory: Adaptive lights with coming home function, 19" wheels, Solar Sunroof, Bose, Nav, TV, Paddle shift sports wheel, sports suspension, sports seats, rear seats with electric lumbar adjustment, heated seats and climate all round, ski hatch, int light pack, auto dip/fold mirrors, voice command, cordless phone, wooden gear knob, towbar, power boot lid

After: LPG, AMI with HDD

Pending: DVB-T Tuner & fixing niggles

Last edited by Godders; 8th April 2011 at 08:09 AM.
Old 8th April 2011, 04:08 PM

Sounds like you both have the wrong AMI then. I'd be taking it back-no way I'd dremel my '8 in a million years.

Hope you get it fitted soon

Nick-I have collected your AMI from Audi today, I've lost your number to call you-doh!

Old 8th April 2011, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A8L Chick View Post
Hi Nick, I am picking it up for you tomorrow Sorry I have been a combination of ill and busy this week which has sucked royaly-but I am feeling better a few days into the antibiotics

Will text you tomorrow and let you know I have your AMI
Cheers Bex. Hope you bounce back & I've pm'd me number to you

Last edited by tonupkid; 8th April 2011 at 09:59 PM.
Old 9th April 2011, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godders View Post

Also for those who have fitted the MMI to the cubby by the side of the CD player did you find the aperture wasn't deep enough for the unit (approx 4mm too short), if so what if anything did you do to make it fit (I feel the Dremel is itching to come out of its box) ?

I believe to make it fit in the A6 the back of the glovebox has to be cut out (friend had one professionally fitted recently and that is what was done).

I'd rather not resort to this kind of thing, plus the 8 has a mounting screw for the glove box behind where the cubby lies.

There is, as far as I can establish, only one part number for the AMI so I think the cubby housing, on the AMI, is standard and there isn't a shorter one. The aperture for the AMI in the glove box is deeper on the left to the right on a RHD car. I'm just wondering if the AMI was designed for a LHD car so the deeper part of the aperture would be in the correct place for the AMI cubby as the glovebox would be a mirror image of our cars - hope this makes sense.
I agree with Beks, I wouldnt be taking a dremel to the back of the glovebox either. did you move the changer to the cubby side and install the AMI where the changer was?

I had seen reference to several A6 owners doing this but never an 8, I believed the different part numbers were actually to do with software etc not different sizing.
A8 4.2TDI - Ice Silver, Comfort heated/cooled/massage Seats, Alcantara, Extended Leather pack, Ambient light pack, Solar roof, Night Vision, Lane change assist, Audi presense, Audi BrakeGuard, ACC Cruise, Blinds, Quad Air, AMI, Online services, Parking with rear Camera, Aluminium brushed inlays, Adaptive Zenons, High beam assist, Bose Sound, and more

Gone but not forgotten: A8 D3 2005- AMI HDD, Audible Parking, TV, NAV, Bluetooth, Hybrid TV, Aftermarket headrest monitors, Rosstech VCDS / Vagcom
Old 9th April 2011, 03:45 PM

The problem is that the early models weren't designed for the AMI, so the right hand side of the glovebox is too short. Either cut it out, or swap the AMI for the CD changer like I did

I know.. I know..

Old 9th April 2011, 09:27 PM

I thought you were meant to switch the CD over to the spare side and the AMI into the CD hole
Old 9th April 2011, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonupkid View Post
I thought you were meant to switch the CD over to the spare side and the AMI into the CD hole
It's not essential, the AMI is fitted where the spare cubby hole is from factory-but, if you prefer it the other way around you can switch them. Personal preference

Psyche has a very good point, if you have an older D3 that may be your problem