A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions

Old 12th April 2011, 07:22 PM

Blimey getting this AMI sorted is a complete minefield, would appreciate your thoughts on my experience today

I had made contact with a main Audi dealer a few weeks back and got the part number and price using the chassis number of the car this is the quote from the email..............
Item 4E0057785F
Description
AMI Retrofit Unit
Application
A4 week 46 / 2007 > week 21 / 2008, A5 week 45 / 2007 > week 21 / 2008, A6 week 45 / 2007 > week 21 / 2008, A8 week 45 / 2007 > week 21 / 2008, Q7 week 45 / 2007 > week 21 / 2008
Information
For vehicles with MMI High (Most Bus). Please refer to bulletin AU0430-08 for required additional parts.
Detail
Price
£189.00 All Prices Are Inclusive Of VAT.

So popped in there today and asked about ordering this, mentioned that I was aware it would require certain cables to allow the cd to work and the ipod to be connected. They seem a bit suspect of anyone wanting to fit this themselves!
He said I suggest you try a place called mobile comms nearby who will do this cheaper, we send most of our work there????
So I thought I would, out of curiosity really! Went there and they they quote £350 fitted. I explained I wanted the parts only, and said Audi Main Dealer was 189 and showed him the email! He said is what they buy them in for and that the cost covers them ammending the system to work with AMI fitting etc, I pointed out I had upgraded the software myself for this and the fitting didnt appear to be a great problem once I could get my hands on the parts!

So I thought b*gger this and headed for another Audi dealer (local to work) as I needed to get back to work and was running out of time. (Tamworth)

Spoke to the chap there who whilst very helpful said this was now an obsolete part and factory fit only (not retrofit??) but he would check with Audi head office. Stated cables required would be £75 ish. As he was waiting for Audi to come back I said I would phone them later as I needed to get to work.

Phone call this afternoon
Sorry this part won't fit your car the AMi will only fit cars after week 22 build 2007. My car is a late 06 build registered in 07.
I pointed out I know of cars and owners with earlier cars who had fitted this and think they are wrong but they stood their ground and state this part is not suitable for the car and my car is not compatible with AMI!!!
Frankly I lost interest at this point and they suggested I speak to Audi customer service. I had a meeting to go to, so thought sod it for now !!!
What do we make of this?
Whilst I am not in a major rush I was hoping to have this sorted but am at a loss with these dealers!
Cheers
Glyn

Last edited by Glync; 15th April 2011 at 07:31 AM.
Old 12th April 2011, 08:34 PM

each dealer will tell you something different, upshot is most of them havent a clue, the people on this and other audi forums have retrofited and fixed things the main dealer wouldnt dream of attempting

2 of them told me they have never heard of component protection, the third got rid of it in 30 minutes. have faith, buy the bits, you will have it working 20 minutes later.
A8 4.2TDI - Ice Silver, Comfort heated/cooled/massage Seats, Alcantara, Extended Leather pack, Ambient light pack, Solar roof, Night Vision, Lane change assist, Audi presense, Audi BrakeGuard, ACC Cruise, Blinds, Quad Air, AMI, Online services, Parking with rear Camera, Aluminium brushed inlays, Adaptive Zenons, High beam assist, Bose Sound, and more

Gone but not forgotten: A8 D3 2005- AMI HDD, Audible Parking, TV, NAV, Bluetooth, Hybrid TV, Aftermarket headrest monitors, Rosstech VCDS / Vagcom
Old 12th April 2011, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limoncello View Post
each dealer will tell you something different, upshot is most of them havent a clue, the people on this and other audi forums have retrofited and fixed things the main dealer wouldnt dream of attempting

2 of them told me they have never heard of component protection, the third got rid of it in 30 minutes. have faith, buy the bits, you will have it working 20 minutes later.

I don't doubt it I just couldn't believe the attitude, they just don't seem to want to sell me the parts.
When I get the chance I'll head back to the dealers and just order the parts.
What a shower !
Old 12th April 2011, 09:09 PM

They're all a bunch of donkeys... Just don't give em the chassis number and tell em it's a 2007

I know.. I know..

Old 12th April 2011, 09:11 PM

Glyn, PM me your chassis number-I will get you the part numbers you need to order If you wait a little while I can try to order it for you (I may be over my quota for a lil while)

Bex

EDIT- scrap that I have your old pm, I will get on this for you tomorrow
I can deffo get you the correct part numbers, will see about whether I can order it for you too but can't promise anything

07 Silver D3 A/S8L Quattro S8 front end, Xenons, Bose, Bluetooth, Voice Control, Autodim mirrors, Heated folding mirrors, Double Glazed Windows, Electric Rear & Side Blinds, Black leather Comfort Seats with front memory seats & mirrors, Front & rear heated seats, Interior/Exterior light pack, TV.I.M, AMI, Parking sensors Front & Rear, Air suspension (soon to be lowered), Keyless entry & Start/Stop, 4 zone climate control, Power Boot Open/Close.

Last edited by A8L Chick; 12th April 2011 at 09:15 PM.
Old 13th April 2011, 02:07 PM

As many have said it seems some dealers are clueless or not interested in your money.

I was told by Cheshire Oaks Audi (parts) that the prices have recently come down and have listed the parts numbers and current prices elsewhere in this thread. Though get the AMI part number for your specific car.

I did give my chassis number to the parts guy and was told it was the correct one for my car, it sat proud of the cubby hole so I had to modify it to fit. I'm not sure if there are many variants of the AMI.

Now it may not be the case with later cars but it is not possible on my 2003 car to switch positions of the CD and AMI, the CD is deeper than the AMI and this is reflected in the housings in the glovebox so just be aware.

You don't need to remove the glovebox to fit - just bendy wrists , just take your time and read the instructions first and it should take no more than an hour.

I'll be doing a write up soon on fitting including how to get a USB drive working with it too. I meant to do it before now but I've had other issues with the car to sort out.
Factory: Adaptive lights with coming home function, 19" wheels, Solar Sunroof, Bose, Nav, TV, Paddle shift sports wheel, sports suspension, sports seats, rear seats with electric lumbar adjustment, heated seats and climate all round, ski hatch, int light pack, auto dip/fold mirrors, voice command, cordless phone, wooden gear knob, towbar, power boot lid

After: LPG, AMI with HDD

Pending: DVB-T Tuner & fixing niggles
Old 13th April 2011, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A8L Chick View Post
Glyn, PM me your chassis number-I will get you the part numbers you need to order If you wait a little while I can try to order it for you (I may be over my quota for a lil while)

Bex

EDIT- scrap that I have your old pm, I will get on this for you tomorrow
I can deffo get you the correct part numbers, will see about whether I can order it for you too but can't promise anything
Many thanks Bex
Let me know what you can find out for me much appreciated
I must be honest I was a taken back and they just didn't want to listen to me whatsoever.
Thank heavens for this forum as without groups of owners like this your well and truly on your own with these idiots at dealers!

And Audi customer services!

Cheers
Glyn
Old 20th April 2011, 11:23 AM

Thought I would just add an update to the AMI saga
I had another dealer tell me the car isn't suitable for AMI so I have just rang Tamworth Audi and ordered the parts
These are the numbers I have got for the bits required
The part number for the AMI unit is 4E0057785F (this has superseded from 4E0075785B). The wiring is 4F0051592A. The iPod cable is 4F0051510L.
£263 total supposedly being delivered tomorrow
I will let you know how I get on!

If anyone has some info on what you did and how you fit this all I would be grateful before I start over the holiday weekend.
Drop me a PM and perhaps email me some details if it's no trouble.
Just upgraded to an Iphone 4 as well which works with the BT system in the car fine so I should be rocking and rolling soon
Cheers
Glyn
Old 20th April 2011, 02:32 PM

Theres already a few write ups on it around the forums, you dont need to remove the glovebox, so you shouldnt have trouble, took 15 minutes for me and that was due to having trouble getting the cd player out.
take out the cd, be careful with the fibreoptic ends,
connect in your new splicing cable to the original that came from the cd,
take out the middle insert to make room for the cd,
feed the cable through connect the end to the cd and slot the cd back in, again be careful with the fibre optic ends,
do the same with the ami.
connect the ipod lead and ipod and your good to go

did i miss anything
A8 4.2TDI - Ice Silver, Comfort heated/cooled/massage Seats, Alcantara, Extended Leather pack, Ambient light pack, Solar roof, Night Vision, Lane change assist, Audi presense, Audi BrakeGuard, ACC Cruise, Blinds, Quad Air, AMI, Online services, Parking with rear Camera, Aluminium brushed inlays, Adaptive Zenons, High beam assist, Bose Sound, and more

Gone but not forgotten: A8 D3 2005- AMI HDD, Audible Parking, TV, NAV, Bluetooth, Hybrid TV, Aftermarket headrest monitors, Rosstech VCDS / Vagcom
Old 20th April 2011, 02:35 PM

Glyn,

The only 'worry' may be that the back of your glovebox cubby will need cut out if you want to keep the AMI and the CD Changer. If your MMI is up to date, you can swap them in two minutes.

I know.. I know..