A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Transmission

D2 - Transmission Gearboxes, diffs, drive shafts.

Old 18th November 2016, 03:29 PM

Opened up and it's not as bad as David's, nothing blatant to be honest.
All the contacts look rather tired and worn and the one he highlighted looks the worst. Interesting that it only has a single short contact section.

Looking along each group of spring contacts they don't look even, so I guess with age they just wear and lose a bit of contact pressure.

Though what would make it misbehave apparently randomly I've no idea.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 18th November 2016, 03:48 PM

Here's a general view of the inside; you can see that the cable terminations look quite dirty, as if there's been some ingress there from outside but it's not evident elsewhere.
In addition (though just out of shot) the cable sleeve has actually been secured with a cable tie at some time.
Looking again at the contacts the worst one actually seems to be #2 in the set of 5, next to the outside. The corresponding track looks a bit stained as well.

I've no idea what those two sets of contacts do though, the 4 or the 5.
I did have a quick look at the wiring diagram in Bentley- none the wiser, it almost all goes to the TCU.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F125inside.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	609.5 KB
ID:	15117  
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 18th November 2016 at 04:13 PM.
Old 18th November 2016, 03:59 PM

I might just open mine up and clean it to see what happens. 5 hours seems like a lot. We'll find out on Sunday if the Titanic behaves itself tomorrow
Old 18th November 2016, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
I might just open mine up and clean it to see what happens.
If you have the means to reseal it why not; if I did that I'd clean the contact points and bend them ever so slightly to increase the pressure.
Quote:
5 hours seems like a lot.
Agree, I think they saw me coming.
Old 18th November 2016, 04:23 PM

5hrs appears to be the figure obtained from ETKA or whatever they use. Tha was the figure I was told. My garage charged 6 hrs BUT that included fitting the control arms and one tie rod end.

Your switch contacts appear in quite good order but is the dark discolouration on some, indicative of arcing?
Old 20th November 2016, 10:19 AM

Alrighty then. Lets see how long this takes...
Old 20th November 2016, 10:44 AM

Yeh but you whipped your entire engine out in 4 hrs so its going to be no contest.
Old 20th November 2016, 10:57 AM

Yeah not really Not a 5 hour job!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F125.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	256.0 KB
ID:	15141  
Old 20th November 2016, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikkijayne View Post
not a 5 hour job!
2.5-3?

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 20th November 2016, 11:15 AM

Yeah thats more realistic. 38 minutes to take it out, including uploading a picture, but my car has no seized bolts. Allowing for nothing having been taken to bits before thats a reasonable figure.

My switch has the same bad contacts as the others so I'm going to clean them up, re-grease it & put it back together and see what happens...