A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Fuel and Exhausts

D2 - Fuel and Exhausts Everything to do with getting fuel into the engine, and fumes back out again

Old 4th February 2016, 01:24 PM

Default New stainless steel exhaust on S8 D2 (with pics)

So I've had the S8 nearly 12 months now and I've been slowly trying to improve it where possible. Wheels refurbed. Machine polished etc. I'm about to have some of the bodywork blemishes sorted but before that I thought I would treat myself to a new exhaust...

Now I'm all for OEM+ when it comes to cars. I don't like aftermarket items that look aftermarket it that makes sense. However, the exhaust on the S8 just wasn't doing it for me. Firstly, I think it's too quiet for a V8. I know the S8 is supposed to be about refinement and luxury but in my opinion, that engine should be more vocal. Also, my tips being 15 years old were past the point of polishing back. I'd spent far too long to admit with Britemax on the old tips which failed to cut through the caked on crud.

So I decided on a MIJ custom stainless steel exhaust. Cost was £199. Admittedly only backbox back but that's all that's needed in my opinion for noise and aesthetics. I opted for 'mid sport' in terms of noise and the slash cut tail pipes for something a bit more sporty looking.

So here's the before for comparison. Bit small in my opinion too for a car of the D2's size...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5403.JPG
Views:	373
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	12390

And here's the afters. In terms of sound it's noticeably deeper. A nice burble, especially on full throttle. I do quite a few longer trips for work and I specifcally didn't want it to drone on the motorway, which it doesn't. Just a nice meaty sound, as it should have sounded out the factory in my opinion...

Name:	FullSizeRender (1).jpg
Views:	415
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	12391

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	12392

Name:	IMG_5656.JPG
Views:	377
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	12393

Name:	IMG_5657.JPG
Views:	397
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	12394
Old 4th February 2016, 02:29 PM

Looks nice and shiny Are the tips of differing lengths to follow the curve of te bumper? or is that a trcik of perspective ?
Old 4th February 2016, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's8 View Post
Looks nice and shiny Are the tips of differing lengths to follow the curve of te bumper? or is that a trcik of perspective ?
They are yes, to follow the curve of the bumper as you say. Reality is, the bumper isn't as curved as the offset in the tailpipe is, so one does protrude further than the other but it still looks good. Wouldn't look right if both the same length!

Wasn't so shiny before I cleaned them today although they've polished up very easily!
Old 4th February 2016, 04:39 PM

Looks cool, MIJ made a custom system for me when I put a 1.8T AEB into a B3 Audi 80 Sport, they did a great job building a system from scratch with no template!
Old 4th February 2016, 06:39 PM

Nice, MIJ did my Coupe and did a great job, and this looks like a good option for an S8 (if and when my exhaust finally gives up the ghost..)
Old 5th February 2016, 08:18 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Looks good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHooky View Post
In terms of sound it's noticeably deeper. A nice burble, especially on full throttle. I do quite a few longer trips for work and I specifcally didn't want it to drone on the motorway, which it doesn't. Just a nice meaty sound, as it should have sounded out the factory in my opinion...
An exhaust upgrade is something I've planned to do for a long time, and that's precisely my criteria too. Don't want to ruin the refinement when cruising, but I would like to wake the V8 up a little on acceleration. I'm probably going to replace the entire system though, which I think is presently still the one it left the factory with. Like tintin though, I've been kinda waiting until it needs replacing .... which probably won't be so long now.

I had been considering a custom twin exhaust, complete with bumper modifications to accommodate the extra tail pipes, but I'm undecided. I like the idea of having separate exhausts for the two banks of cylinders (which I expect should improve performance a little too) but I'm not sure I want to lose the OEM look.
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 5th February 2016, 08:50 AM

For your listening pleasure...

https://www.youtube.com/embed/zbq5LG4iqqE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZQ-3aB5F-Q

Above two are MIJ work, not sure on this one though...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26TwA9-2TXM
Old 5th February 2016, 11:20 AM

That last one sounds really good (first car, last link). Seems to be a Lithuanian car, number plate country LT.

This is nice too, this guy made it himself, details on A8frenude forum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJSSMuFn0ZU

My exhaust needs doing really soon, I have rattling cats. I really want a X-pipe but worried about its placement, worried if it will create drone, and if it will be the correct shape to release more HP. A badly made X-pipe with rubbish cross-section merger will probably rob HP so its a real risk.

Going to after-market cats will release more sound too, factory ones are around 400 cells-per-inch, most aftermarket cats are 200 cells-per-inch.

Last edited by Goran; 5th February 2016 at 11:24 AM.
Old 5th February 2016, 11:29 AM

I replaced the rattling cats on my D2 S8 with 200-cell 'sports cats' and removed a pair of the centre silencers at the same time. Can definitely recommend that
- Aqua Blue D2 S8 - Grey leather/Alcantara
- D3 A8 3.0 CVT
- D3 3.7 V8
Old 5th February 2016, 01:31 PM

Thanks
I have the 200 cell cats in the attic ready to go. Going for a full new system from the new cats back, so factory mid and rear boxes are going. I'll leave it up to the exhaust shop experts to decide what goes there instead of them. My initial thought is just a couple of separate long tube silencers in the middle, and a shorter silencer just before each exhaust tip instead of big rear boxes. But my simple idea may be too loud and not sound good.