A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Fuel and Exhausts

D3 - Fuel and Exhausts Everything to do with getting fuel into the engine, and fumes back out again

Old 11th June 2016, 05:16 PM

Default Carbon cleaning. Not terraclean method. Intake method instead.

Been seeing a different method to the fuel system terraclean and thought id ask the question if any good for our fsi engines.
This is the response. What do you guys reckon?

Hi Ricky, yes it'll clean that and it's our exact advantage over the likes of terraclean as it's hydrogen through the air intake rather than fuel side.
I see you're in Ipswich area though and unfortunately we're yet to get an agent anywhere near you, we are recruiting but it takes time to find the right partner. The nearest is myself, I cover up to the top of the m25 at present so if you're prepared to bring the vehicle down this way I'd happily meet you. Alternatively if you can get 5 vehicles together (friends an family etc in your local area) I can arrange a road trip especially for you.

Best regards,
Matt
Old 11th June 2016, 05:47 PM

I would like to see results of this if somebody was willing to take manifold off to inspect, put it back, go for hydrogen cleaning then take manifold off and inspect again to see the difference.

My suspicions are that there is no wonder solution that will undo 10 years of buildup in 45 minutes without mechanical cleaning. If you used it twice a year since new maybe it would make a difference but would be a lot of money spent over time.

Some engines have twin injection, maybe that's the way forward or a retrofitting option. You could put one small injector in manifold inlet spraying in small amount of fuel in as you drive along to keep it clean.

Quote:
The EA888 engines are a family of four cylinder engines that are currently in use across the Volkswagen Group. The EA888 family is an Audi-designed unit that features some of the latest engine technology such as direct fuel injection, sintered camshaft lobes, thin-walled engine block, variable valve timing and lift for intake and exhaust valves, downstream oxygen sensors, turbocharger integrated into cylinder head, exhaust gas recirculation and cooling, distributorless coil-on-plug ignition, lightweight engine internals, slide valve thermostat (some variants), and the addition of port fuel injection to aid low load fuel consumption and cold start emissions. The port fuel injection also aides in reducing the potential carbon deposits that can occur in direct injected engines. As of 2016, the 'dual injection' system has not been offered in North American markets. Still, Volkswagen has made numerous enhancements to their engine designs such as the positive crankcase ventilation, repositioning injectors and more to lessen the potential that carbon deposits accumulate on intake valves. Currently, the EA888 engine is available in two sizes: 1.8T and 2.0T. Engine output ranges from 111 kilowatts (151 PS; 149 bhp) to over 223 kilowatts (303 PS; 299 bhp). A concept car based on the Volkswagen Golf R, dubbed R400, produced over 400 hp from 2 litres of displacement. If produced, the R400 would hold the record for highest output/litre of displacement for any currently produced inline four cylinder, beating the Mercedes-AMG A45/CLA45/GLA45 which currently holds the record.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure

Last edited by ainarssems; 11th June 2016 at 05:53 PM.
Old 11th June 2016, 06:14 PM

Friend of mine has a 525d and had his emission light come on. Being lazy as he is, he hasn't yet bothered getting it diagnosed but saw the carbon clean on facebook. For £99 it is a lot cheaper than Terraclean (and a different service). Anyway the guy was very helpful and explained it cleaning the intake side as apposed to the fuel side. The cleaning was done, emission light went out. Driving next day it came back on. Phone call to CC and he said next time he is down (in a week) he will do a second clean for free. Second clean done, more gunk removed. Light remains on however car is driving a lot better, smoother and he thinks more powerful.

On recommendation his friend has his Audi 2.0 TDi done and was happy with it.

The BMW will be diagnosed in the next couple of weeks as I am convinced it is either a sensor or DPF.

As for the 'Carbon Clean', the guy is very helpful and seems to know what he is talking about. He comes to your door (came from Oxford to Coventry) for £99 and in this case did a freebie too.
Old 11th June 2016, 06:55 PM

I think I actually know somebody who started offering this service recently, I think he is offering this companies solution: http://hhoenginecarbonclean.co.uk/
currently at £70. My S8 is clean as a whistle but I might be tempted to do it for scientific reasons just to see how much difference it makes on 2.5TDI A6 but I am held back because I think it will be £70 wasted. I was going to take off intake and clean it mechanically 2 years ago on A6 but had a look and while there is some carbon buildup it's nowhere near as bad as others I have seen so I let it be.

8 history:
Old 11th June 2016, 07:04 PM

I just can't imagine how it works but will keep an open mind.
Old 11th June 2016, 07:05 PM

Although hydrogen is the product. This is basically a seafoam method isnt it? From memory that is done through the intake system as opposed to the fuel system.
I agree it would be nice to have a before and after comparison to see what the difference is.
Maybe even a dyno run before and after to really see if any power is clawed back, and if any how much by.
Old 11th June 2016, 07:10 PM

My thoughts are that this is using electrolysis to make H2 + O from water inside the red box which then must go along the hose and into the intake. This will not react with the soot (carbon) unless under red hot temperatures with a catalyst such as Nickel. Also the quantity compared the air mass would be quite insignificant. It would be good for someone to show a before and after of an coked up intake.
Old 11th June 2016, 07:22 PM

How about a collective pot from interested forum members who would collectively pay for the costs of service, manifold removal and inspection before and after and gaskets etc? I would gladly put £10 in such pot rather than £70 or £99 to try it on my own but I want hard data with pictures not a butt dyno, a proper dyno test before and after would be welcome but not essential for me, pictures of buildup should tell enough.

8 history:

Last edited by ainarssems; 11th June 2016 at 07:26 PM.
Old 11th June 2016, 07:26 PM

I think its gonna be an intake off and manual clean to do it properly if im honest. New gaskets and injector kits and elbow grease.
Every website other than the related topics suppliers say that it wont touch the build up really. It might do a bit but so minimul its not worth it.

But then you have to ask the question, are they saying that so they can charge £800 like AMD in essex quoted me to do the job plus parts (£191 genuine audi parts) and 3 days work.
Or do these mobile cleaning thingies offer a genuine positive service for a minimal fee and an hour or so of your time, or a placebo so you "think" your car runs better.
We just dont know as no one has done a real genuine back to back comparison.
Old 11th June 2016, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
How about a collective pot from interested forum members who would collectively pay for the costs of service, manifold removal and inspection before and after and gaskets etc? I would gladly put £10 in such pot rather than £70 or £99 to try it on my own but I want hard data with pictures not a butt dyno, a proper dyno test before and after would be welcome but not essential for me, pictures of buildup should tell enough.
Not a bad idea! Pictures would suffice. After all other factors could affect a dyno reading.
Like my last run. 128bhp down on factory figures. Intake bank 2 was shut closed as the armature had come away.
Fixed now and its like another car! Incredible such a little thing could make so much of an improvement. Not had it re dyno'd yet to see whats its gained back but i can feel its a hell of alot!