A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 1st April 2013, 02:03 PM

Default D3 front end 'slammed" overnight

Came out yesterday morning to find the front end was almost on the deck, fired her up and both suspension (yellow & green) warning lights flashing.

There is no movement when I put her in any of the various Comfort, Lift modes etc, in fact they all "grey out" after about a minute.

I stripped the passenger carpet back and got to the orange 40amp fuse that seems to get mentioned a lot, that looks ok but not actually tested as yet. Will try and get the relay behind it out and get a new one of those also.

Thing is, that rear of the car looks ok height wise, just the front thats slammed. The weird thing is, I only had the big 40k service last week at main dealers and have done almost bugger all mileage since. Could it be related of maybe just coincidence???

What you reckon guys, fuse, relay and maybe compressor? (I bloody hope not!)

Last edited by Daggerpie; 1st April 2013 at 02:16 PM.
Old 1st April 2013, 02:07 PM

Could be a shocker too.. You need to get the codes to see where it thinks the issue is.

I know.. I know..

Old 1st April 2013, 02:18 PM

True, I'll see if I can get it in to get the codes read tomorrow. Was hoping a simple blown fuse may have been the cause, no such luck..

Cheers
Old 1st April 2013, 02:35 PM

Just as a matter of interest, as it was only in at Audi last week for it's Service, could it possibly be related? IE - If the Tech hadn't put it in Jacking mode etc if they lifted it, I did have the brake fluid changed as well?

Last edited by Daggerpie; 1st April 2013 at 03:49 PM.
Old 1st April 2013, 03:49 PM

Another really weird thing, the relay behind the 40a compressor fuse is labelled as 643 on mine and NOT 373 like most people mention.

It's in the exact same spot as where I've seen others pics of the 373, I'm wondering whether it's a newer revised version of the relay, cars a late 09 and only done 35k miles. I'm really confused now..
Old 11th April 2013, 12:08 PM

Ok, just an update guys, had a phone call the other day from the Audi indy dealing with it, first question was "Do I live in the country??"

Turn's out, it was bloody mice or rats, they'd chewed through OSF strut pipe, some of the main power lead, brake pressure sensor wiring and also windscreen washer pipe (which I noticed wasn't working on the journey to dropping car off).

We're surrounded by fields where I live so I think what with all those cold frosts and the fact my Missus always chucks bread out to feed the birds, they decided to build small home/restaurant in my engine bay over Easter! Little turds, anyway, car all finally sorted and spent a small fortune on rat killer as well!!
Old 11th April 2013, 12:13 PM

lol cheaper than coilovers and probably quicker!

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs