A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 4th December 2013, 06:42 PM

Default Air suspension reliability

Started reading up on D3's following me putting down a deposit on one, I keep coming across horror stories with the air suspension and its starting to give me second thoughts on the D3 due to the huge costs involved in fixing it.

Just how bad is the reliability?
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 4th December 2013, 10:16 PM

For what it's worth, I think that D3's have specific weaknesses and issues like D2's have, for example gearboxes on D2's don't seem as problematic on D3's and air suspension crops up more often on D3's. As long as you are realistic about the fact that most cars have their known problem areas and that you check out those areas on any new one you are looking at, then you've done as much as you can. Compressors are purchasable for D3 air suspension at a few hundred quid and I'm sure A8 parts can be just as helpful on a D3 as they have been on peoples D2's. Sounds like last minute nerves, but better the brand and models you already know with a support network and parts supply you also already know eh?

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 4th December 2013, 10:28 PM

These are A8s Sir.

No matter D2 or D3, be prepared to shell out thousands per year if you want to maintain it in decent condition. Not just slowly killing it.
Old 5th December 2013, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious View Post
These are A8s Sir.

No matter D2 or D3, be prepared to shell out thousands per year if you want to maintain it in decent condition. Not just slowly killing it.
Couldn't agree more. Having an executive car will cost you money no matter what, that's why for example an oil sensor for 1.4 Golf costs £12 and for A8 £97
Plus A8s got much more stuff than a Passat and its more advanced, so more things to go wrong and when they do, you will have to pay because it's a more advanced piece of kit.

A stupid example, it costs me £5,695 to run this for a year (can't claim a penny so this is the cost) - that is £475 per month, inc. service, tax, insur, petrol + around £1,500 during the year for some mods (this year example) + £700-£1000 tyres, plus mechanical repairs £2.360 this year (not typical year, but shows you what ca it be): radiator, suspension arms, oil sensor, tensioner on each camshaft + other bits I can't remember, and that's only cost of wear to be honest.

Now, this is upsetting but unfortunately real, £10.225 this year for a pleasure of driving the A8
That's a equivalent cost of a better A8 in current climate every year spend on maintaining another A8.

So, it will cost you money no matter what, if you want it and can afford it than go for it and don't think what will go wrong first and how much will it cost, no point to stress, just enjoy everyday driving it. If s**t hits the fan then you will just have to suck it and move on, it will cost you money.

It's important to maintain them well.

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 5th December 2013, 07:21 PM

My 2006 A8L costs about £800-1200 a year in repairs and servicing using box-fresh OE parts.

My expensive failures have been DPF, turbocharger (caused by DPF), clapped-out piezo diesel injectors, front upper arms twice (pay cheap you pay twice).

Say £1000 average. This is not for mods, just to keep it tip-top.
Over 206,000 miles now and still as smooth as butter.
No visible wear on camshaft cams.

It's not a suitable car if you live hand-to-mouth or spend all of your wages every month and will struggle to come up with £1000 at a moments notice.
Old 5th December 2013, 07:44 PM

I've done some looking round on ebay, it looks like parts are cheaper to buy from Germany and a lot cheaper than OEM.

I am more at ease now, the dealer I'm buying from has confirmed the suspension is currently working with no issue.

I guess its just my limited D3 knowledge, and the simplicity of the D2 (compared to the D3) getting in the way.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 5th December 2013, 07:53 PM

I run 2 A8's (D2 & D3) and don't find them to expensive to run (do all the services myself) reckon (including insurance, but excluding fuel) around £1.5k per year.

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Triumph Daytona 675 (2017 reg)

===========================

Gone but not forgotten

Ford Focus ST-2 Mk3 (the wifes) (stolen Oct 2023)

1972 T2 Bay Window Camper (Slow)

Audi TT Mk1 225 - now with coil-overs and a 7inch touchscreen infotainment centre

2003 A8 Sport 4.2 (with ACC & LPG) (Feed up with all the issues so passed it on to a forum member)

2000 A8 FL QS 4.2 (with RNS-E - Nice) (Engine poorly so sold on to be brought back by someone who has the time)
Old 5th December 2013, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyo View Post
I've done some looking round on ebay, it looks like parts are cheaper to buy from Germany and a lot cheaper than OEM.
They do seem a rip-off in the UK. I use mister-auto now.
The parts come from France, but my control arms were much cheaper than ECP even with their 25% off code. What's more they have a choice of brands. Only downside is delivery time.