A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 16th February 2011, 02:10 PM

Default Effing potholes!

Like a third world country on our roads at the moment

Just driven into a swimming pool sized hole and wrecked 2 pilot sports that had done 1500 miles and 2 x 20" Audi alloys (refurbed 1500 miles ago)

It's a joke out there.

Yeah baby!!

2002 Aqua Blue S8 with Milltek - Now sold

SL55 AMG Silver with designo red leather and 20" Carlsson 1/16 Utlralight Wheels
Old 16th February 2011, 02:31 PM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Ouch! That's really bad news. The roads are s**te round here too. Nearly lost a few teeth dropping down a hole last week, but got away with just losing a centre cap
Old 16th February 2011, 02:38 PM

Ouch sorry to hear that

I totally agree its dangerous out there now ,We have subsidence on one road thats been there for over 6mnths ,its about 15 ft long and over 1ft deep ,you drive down and up the other side ,can't wait till the road surface finally gives way then it will be down and not up the other side.

Hope you are able to claim the damage back from the local authority.
Old 16th February 2011, 02:54 PM

This is why I bought an old Merc Coupe to use for round town and some longer journeys. 15" wheels and 65 profile tyres sure do smooth things out. Though even this has now got a couple of small rattles from the front suspension - probably ARB bushes or lower ball joint.

This way, I leave the 8 alone and avoid bending the 20's or buggering any of the bushes and suspension arms. Journeys at 30-40mph over potholed town roads are definitely off the menu where possible.
Old 16th February 2011, 02:59 PM

Well, it was either driving into the hole, or swerve into the oncoming tipper lorry at a closing speed of around 80MPH. 40MPH road, and the tipper was gunning it - more than 40. I was doing 35-40.

No contest really.

The front tyre burst immediately upon impact.

Damaged the rear tyre and wheel too, but thankfully that didn't go pop.

Took loads of photos and got onto the Highways Agency. They're sending a claim form out, but cannot say if I will be successful. Interestingly, the pothole had been marked with spray paint - so identified by them as needing filling.

I pointed out that I pay my road tax, explained that it was either the pothole or hit the on-coming truck, and I don't expect to put my life and that of my passenger in danger.

I only picked my poorly daughter from School early as she was ill.

Take care out there; our roads are highly dangerous in the poorly repaired state they are in!

Yeah baby!!

SL55 AMG Silver with designo red leather and 20" Carlsson 1/16 Utlralight Wheels

Last edited by jayzee; 16th February 2011 at 03:40 PM.
Old 16th February 2011, 05:27 PM

That’s nasty and something i think we can all relate to.

I have seriously been thinking of buying a small tractor vintage for local travelling TAX and MOT exempt 25mph which is about the fastest you can go on most the roads anyway, leave it where you want (clamp this baby), no worries about who's priority it is because i'm going if you like it or not and no worries about people swinging their door into the side of it in car parks.

I use a 45 year old Land Rover and can honestly say there have been occations where there is no way that thing will stop on some of the road serface’s as the suspension is that hard it can not move quick enough to keep the tyres in contact with the road.

Have also been thinking about people on bikes as the road surface is actually in gravel form in the centre of the road so as i go past them there is a shower of that stuff being thrown up, must be like riding into a shotblasting machine. I do actually give plenty of room because i'm aware but how many peopl are not.
Old 25th February 2011, 04:08 PM

Car now back from QST. 2 new tyres, 2 wheel refurbs and alignment later...

Ouch!

Now the fun begins with claiming my hard earned back

QST did a top job as usual

Yeah baby!!

Old 25th February 2011, 05:22 PM
daz.g

There's really bad holes on a road on my daily commute, today there was a head on crash with a car and lorry, one person dead and one seriously injured, the car entered the oncoming lane. I don't know the details obviously but it happened right where the potholes are and they could have caused it...???
Truly frightening .
Old 25th February 2011, 09:07 PM

I had the fright of my life today ,a cyclist coming the other direction caught a pothole wrong and flew over the handle bars straight towards the front of my car. I stood as hard as i could on the brakes just to see him dissapear under the front of the car . I just sat there hands rivited to the wheel,you will never know how glad I felt as a hand appeared on my bonnet and the guy stood up and dusted himself off and said that was lucky..My underwear can vouch for that... Phew