A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Common Faults

D3 - Common Faults Quick links to all known common faults and their solutions

Old 25th May 2014, 07:44 PM

can you point me at the appropriate bottle, cannot find anything on the b&q website.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 25th May 2014, 09:20 PM

Use this

http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/power-too...skuId=12028339

If you remove the lance and trigger from the hose, then cut off a piece of the hose about 4" long then re assemble the trigger and lance back onto the hose.

Remove the nozzle from the end of the lance and push the piece of hose over the end of the tube enough so it stays on.

You will now find the part of the hose that swells over the lance creates a nice seal in the sunroof drain hole.

I pressurised the bottle with air first to blow the crap out of the drain tube then after it cleared I then filled the bottle with warm soapy water and flushed the drain lines out with a few litres of water.

If all my ramblings is not making sense let me know and I will take photo's of my set so you can see what I mean.

Good luck

Old 26th May 2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delboy View Post
Use this

http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/power-too...skuId=12028339

If you remove the lance and trigger from the hose, then cut off a piece of the hose about 4" long then re assemble the trigger and lance back onto the hose.

Remove the nozzle from the end of the lance and push the piece of hose over the end of the tube enough so it stays on.

You will now find the part of the hose that swells over the lance creates a nice seal in the sunroof drain hole.

I pressurised the bottle with air first to blow the crap out of the drain tube then after it cleared I then filled the bottle with warm soapy water and flushed the drain lines out with a few litres of water.

If all my ramblings is not making sense let me know and I will take photo's of my set so you can see what I mean.

Good luck
Del, that did the trick. Purchased the very same bottle and followed the instructions you posted. My sunroof surround is no longer a lake, cleared both front drains. You can actually hear the air escaping from the other end of the drain tube.

I've not flushed them through yet, it was raining when I unblocked them. For now I just wanted to remove the risk of the interior getting wet again.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 26th May 2014, 08:06 PM

Glad you got it sorted mate, last thing we need in these cars is water pouring in over the electrickery.

Old 26th May 2014, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviesbike View Post
I was greeted this morning by a soaking wet headliner driverside that was dripping down on my lap !

is this blocked sun roof drains ect ?

any help would be great thanks
Glad you got sorted , but it does open up the old question - why on earth would you get a can opener and cut a hole in a perfectly good roof?
Green Alcantara Headlining, Pillars, Rear Shelf, Door Inserts
Green Trimmed Mats, Seatbelts, Steering Wheel, Centre Armrests
DAB, Freeview, ACC, 4-Zone Climate, Soft Close, Electric Blinds

Old 26th May 2014, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyo View Post
Got in mine this morning for the first time in a week, and the drivers side headlining was wet as was the A pillar trim on the inside. Looks like my sunroof drain on one side is blocked, the rest of the interior was dry and luckily the MMI controls appeared dry. I've placed a plastic bin bag over the MMI controls for now, and parked the car the other way around so the drivers side is higher because the car is on a slope.
Ditto....
Got into the old girl today after work (and lots of rain)!
Noticed a drip from the centre of the roof, around the lights and sunroof control knob, then, saw that the top of both 'A' posts was clearly damp, as was the lower of the nearside 'A' post trim, where it meets the dash.
A job for when the rain stops - hopefully a simple drain clear job.
My pride and joy - 1991 ur 20v quattro (owned since 2003).
BMW 645 (Need to sell now I have 2 A8s....)
Previous cars
A8 D4 4.2tdi lwb (2011)
A4 cab 3.0 Quattro petrol (2005)
T5 Caravelle exec 2.5 (2006)
A8 D2 3.7 quattro sport (2001)
A8 D3 4.2 quattro (2003)
A6 4.2 quattro avant (1999)
A6 2.8 quattro (1998)
Audi Coupe 2.6E (1993)
Carlton 3.0 GSI