A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Engine Bay

D2 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 22nd January 2020, 05:06 PM

If you look at the design you can see why, it's not a "typical" bladed fan that could indeed run backwards, it's basically a centrifugal pump with vanes in the cylinder that "catch" the air and make it more efficient.
Running backwards it's still a centrifugal pump but the vanes make it extremely inefficient. And I expect the geometry of the air intake and outlet ducts contribute to making air only flow one way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HVACfan.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	22788  
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 23rd January 2020, 09:51 AM

As my fan has been playing up for ages now (nearly 3 years on and off, see: http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=13248 ) I've ordered one of these (from Poland!).
They're a Chinese copy obviously but I'll keep the original anyway and see if it can be refurbished.
I might also look at constructing an "adapter" for the lead, rather than cutting the plug off the old one. Though it might be possible to just disassemble the plug if the contacts at the end of the wires are the same design.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 23rd January 2020, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Surprisingly no, it blows in to the cabin still, but only about 10% of its normal airflow, leaving one very puzzled as to why the fan is making loads of noise but there's nothing coming from the vents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
If you look at the design you can see why, it's not a "typical" bladed fan that could indeed run backwards, it's basically a centrifugal pump with vanes in the cylinder that "catch" the air and make it more efficient.
Running backwards it's still a centrifugal pump but the vanes make it extremely inefficient. And I expect the geometry of the air intake and outlet ducts contribute to making air only flow one way.
That makes sense now that you say it. Is there an easy way to test without taking the car apart? Specified air flow at a certain fan speed or something along those lines?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
As my fan has been playing up for ages now (nearly 3 years on and off, see: http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=13248 ) I've ordered one of these (from Poland!).
They're a Chinese copy obviously but I'll keep the original anyway and see if it can be refurbished.
I might also look at constructing an "adapter" for the lead, rather than cutting the plug off the old one. Though it might be possible to just disassemble the plug if the contacts at the end of the wires are the same design.
Unfortunately, they are different. I had the same thought. The stock D2 connector is a pin connector, whereas the D3 connector is a blade type connector.
1992 Corrado
2001 S8
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition
Old 23rd January 2020, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromaluski View Post
Unfortunately, they are different. I had the same thought. The stock D2 connector is a pin connector, whereas the D3 connector is a blade type connector.
Thanks for that, I'll have a good look at them both when the parts arrive and decide what to do. I have various spare connectors of that type anyway.
IIRC the connectors are all fairly accessible with the bonnet open so I should be able to test any adapter quite easily before fitting and make sure it's spinning the right way.
Old 23rd January 2020, 06:14 PM

Suppose it’s too optimistic to assume d3 wipers would fit the d2 as well? because that would solve a whole heap of spare parts issue ��

PF late '97 D2 2.8 Aluminium Silver. Solar roof, Full Heated Leather, Double Glazing, 17" wheels, Sports Steering Wheel, Cruise, Blinds, Bose sound.

Fiat Tipo diseasel econobox with all the buttons and none of the soul that now does all the heavy lifting.

Ford Capri Laser: noisy, slow, thirsty, bouncy, no buttons but it always sounds like it’s REALLY trying and I can’t help but chuckle when it parps and boings along. And people of a certain age stare at it with a wistful look in their eyes that clearly says…I had one of them. And I sold it because of the kids
Old 24th January 2020, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B@fink View Post
Suppose it’s too optimistic to assume d3 wipers would fit the d2 as well? because that would solve a whole heap of spare parts issue ��
I'd be shocked if the entire assembly is the same, but it may be that parts of it are the same? There's a D3 at my local junkyard currently. I may go take a look at it again.
1992 Corrado
2001 S8
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition
Old 24th January 2020, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B@fink View Post
Far too optimistic I'm afraid. I think all of it is different, although it may be possible to adapt the motor with some tinkering. I need to take another look at one.
Old 24th January 2020, 09:54 PM

The motor arrived and I’ve managed to get it fitted, it was £65 delivered and a cheap Chinese copy as mentioned but I doubt the car will last much longer so it’s good enough for me. Fits perfect runs quiet and kicks out more air than before, although mine was worn out. will post some pics up when i get chance
Old 25th January 2020, 01:34 PM

Ah rats. Shame, I can see shortages of wiper units finishing off what the gearboxes don’t. At least we can replace the blower motor with a bit of wiring tinkering which is a start!

PF late '97 D2 2.8 Aluminium Silver. Solar roof, Full Heated Leather, Double Glazing, 17" wheels, Sports Steering Wheel, Cruise, Blinds, Bose sound.

Fiat Tipo diseasel econobox with all the buttons and none of the soul that now does all the heavy lifting.

Ford Capri Laser: noisy, slow, thirsty, bouncy, no buttons but it always sounds like it’s REALLY trying and I can’t help but chuckle when it parps and boings along. And people of a certain age stare at it with a wistful look in their eyes that clearly says…I had one of them. And I sold it because of the kids
Old 25th January 2020, 02:36 PM

Wiper mechanisms are on my list of things to re-engineer, as soon as I get time...