A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 25th January 2020, 05:57 AM

Default Intermittent abs/traction control issue

For few months now abs/traction control lights will come on randomly, sometimes can go days without it and sometimes it'll come on every time I take the car out, but only code that comes up is 00526 - brake light switch? Brake lights work, not really sure where to start as it disables cruise control which is annoying when most of my commute is motorways + I have MOT coming up in April
Old 25th January 2020, 08:54 AM

The brake light switch may need adjusting. It has two sets of contacts which need to change at the same time as a failsafe. This problem often happens when the switch isn't quite in the right position so one set of contacts isn't changing when the ECU expects it to, just due to wear.

We had a thread about this but I can't remember what it was called. You can see it in measuring blocks in the ECU though. The switch needs to be completely compressed when the pedal is on the stop, and then be released as soon as the pedal is touched.
Old 25th January 2020, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
The brake light switch may need adjusting. It has two sets of contacts which need to change at the same time as a failsafe. This problem often happens when the switch isn't quite in the right position so one set of contacts isn't changing when the ECU expects it to, just due to wear.

We had a thread about this but I can't remember what it was called. You can see it in measuring blocks in the ECU though. The switch needs to be completely compressed when the pedal is on the stop, and then be released as soon as the pedal is touched.
Great, thanks for that. I only have VCDS-Lite so not sure if I have access but I'll have a look at the sensor itself and adjust.
Old 25th January 2020, 09:49 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Mine's had 2 new brake switches in my 10 years of ownership. First one was a genuine Audi part. When that failed, I replaced it with a Meyle equivalent part (Meyle part#100 945 0000, I believe), which has proved reliable so far.

Examining the failed switches, it seems that one of the (pair) of contacts eventually starts to stick due to arcing/burning. I'm guessing that those contacts drive something inductive (gear selector release solenoid, perhaps?).
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 25th January 2020, 10:06 AM

I thought the two sets of contacts did slightly different things and are triggered ever so slightly apart - a really tiny movement. IIRC one is for the brake lights and the other for the ECUs. So you could have a problem with the second set and not know as the brake lights appeared normal.

As MJ says, you can monitor these with VCDS and observe them changing as you move the brake pedal. Just can't recall offhand which exact measuring block it is....

I have a suspicion mine needs adjusting again (or replacing) as I'm occasionally getting some of the weird symptoms of sluggishness that I used to get quite often (caused by the ECUs thinking the brakes are still applied, when they're not).
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 25th January 2020, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunker7 View Post
Great, thanks for that. I only have VCDS-Lite so not sure if I have access but I'll have a look at the sensor itself and adjust.
Should be OK for checking readings.
Delving back into my marathon thread about lack of power I found useful comments by MJ and many others. In summary:

Engine measuring block Group 66 in VCDS is the brake pedal.
The switch should have a value of 1000 when untouched.
A VERY LIGHT touch on the pedal (engine off) should change it to 1010 but the slightest bit more and it goes to 1011.
That sequence could be reversed by lifting off very carefully.
(Engine on and the servo makes it all happen too quickly)
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 27th January 2020 at 11:21 AM.
Old 25th January 2020, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
I thought the two sets of contacts did slightly different things and are triggered ever so slightly apart - a really tiny movement. IIRC one is for the brake lights and the other for the ECUs. So you could have a problem with the second set and not know as the brake lights appeared normal.
Yes thats it IIRC they have to go in the right sequence otherwise the ECU can't work out what is happening.
Old 25th January 2020, 11:58 AM

Sweet, thanks for the info. I'll check it after work and report back, hopefully can sort the issue
Old 25th January 2020, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Engine measuring block Group 66 in VCDS is the brake pedal.
The switch should have a value of 1000 when untouched.
A VERY LIGHT touch on the pedal (engine off) should change it to 1010 but the slightest bit more and it goes to 1011.
I needed to do a scan so after that I checked this out while also monitoring the brake light.
I can confirm that the brake lights only come on at stage 2, i.e. 1011, so at 1010 presumably the ECUs know you're just starting to apply the brakes and at 1011 know (if they get/use that signal) that the brake lights are on.
It's only a tiny bit (on my car) after 1011 that the brake pedal goes hard without the servo.

Last edited by HPsauce; 27th January 2020 at 11:22 AM.
Old 25th January 2020, 06:53 PM

Mine only showed "Not iniated" and "active" for some reason, but even looking at that seems like when I press pedal and release, it stays active.

Didn't get a chance to adjust today but I'll make sure it sits tighter and make sure it de-activated as well when pedal is pressed.

This would also explain when cruise is on, sometimes it'll disable by itself and then start working at some point.