A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Engine Bay

D2 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 31st January 2016, 08:23 PM

Thanks. Interesting observation about varying oil levels. I've noticed something similar (except it never seems to go up!). I also notice that small inclines (front to back or side to side) make a big difference. My drive is pretty flat, but not flat enough apparently. I have to park in the same spot for meaningful results.

Shortish runs seem to use more. My normal commute is 15 miles of mixed driving each way and a couple of weeks of that has it wanting a litre or so. However, I've done a couple of 300+ mile trips where it barely seems to have moved. Would have expected the opposite! Perhaps it is an indicator of valve guide seals past their best (on 2 & 4 especially). Certainly the only time I've ever seen smoke is on hot re-start.

Totally agree on the 5-30 Vs 10-40. My A6 TDI has survived nearly 300k on the Quantum Synta 10-40 (though the 5 pot diesel is known to be a survivor).

Will try changing it to 10-40 and see what happens.

Cheers

Nick
Old 18th September 2016, 08:14 PM

So finally got around to crawling under this properly today for the first time in a while. The main mission was an oil change (to 10/40 as previously discussed), but it was also rather obvious that it has a fairly big oil leak.

I have been aware that it had oil leaks pretty much since it came to live with me, but as it doesn't drip hugely on the drive (I'm also a Triumph owner so my calibration is quite coarse!), I assumed the leak wasn't that big.

Possibly it's got bigger, as they do, but anyhow, as you can see from the pics there's enough coming out to blow back under the car and cover the subframe and further back.

It's coming from somewhere on the right hand side and, I think, near the front. Seems to be an engine-running-only leak but I'm struggling to spot where from. Pretty sure it's lower than the cam cover gasket.

No oil in water or water in oil so I'm hoping it's not the oil cooler. Could possibly be cam seal and running down - though belt seems dry?

Any favourite sources in that area?

Thanks

Nick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1140922s.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	210.9 KB
ID:	14444   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1140919s.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	215.2 KB
ID:	14445   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1140920s.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	224.4 KB
ID:	14446   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1140921s.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	237.0 KB
ID:	14447  
Old 19th September 2016, 02:31 AM

Have a good look at the lower sump.
When full, the oil level is above the join between the upper and lower sumps
The early 32V engines use a gasket, while the later 40V engines use a silicone type sealant.

The sealant ones do start leaking with old age.
I can't speak for the gasket, but it's certainly worth a look as the lower sump is just pressed steel and subject to some stress when the sump plug is removed and reinstalled.

Marty

Replacement head coming arrived thanks to MJ
Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
2009 Volvo XC90 V8 R Design
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
- Hamilton's Club Sport, Achat Grey (will miss the old girl)
Old 19th September 2016, 05:24 AM

Go for the simple repairs first and see if it eliminates the problem. When i first got under my car mid rebuild I had a similar mess front right of the engine.
I found all the sump bolts slightly slack, most took a 1/4 turn on the ratchet. Other item to check is the oil level sensor- this turned out to be the main culprit. Took it out, cleaned sump and o-ring, reinstated with a smear of instant gasket. Problem solved

If you are going to replace rocker cover gaskets, follow the original workshop instructions and put the necessary blobs of sealant in the sharp corners of the head. If its been off and these havent been done it could be enough to leak from there.

Daily drive:
2016 Infiniti QX70.....a car that's even more complicated than my last Infiniti FX to modify

Current 'Project':
VW Crafter CR50 4 berth camper van

Previous 'Projects':
2006 Subaru Legacy Spec 'B' 3.0R,
1994 Ex-MOD Land Rover Defender, now "civilianised".
2000 Audi S8 FL

www.whall.co.uk
Old 21st September 2016, 10:20 AM

There's a product you can probably pick up off eBay called AT205.
It's a plasticiser and rejuvenates seals rather than swells them. This could be useful for your valve stem seals and other internal engine seals.

5W30 is almost certainly too thin at operating temperature for this engine too. Correct spec is 5W40.
If you still have consumption (not leaks) with 5W40, you can try a 5W50 or 10W50. Just check it meets VW504 spec.

Marty

Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
Old 22nd September 2016, 08:29 AM

Jizer and plenty of it, clean it all up and keep an eye out and take it from there.
My 8 uses oil not as much as that but depending of how the engine is being used. Pushing hard will burn a bit, noticed at 150 I leave a blue smoke trail.

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 22nd September 2016, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
noticed at 150 I leave a blue smoke trail.
That will be your brains reaction to the speeeeeeed!

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 22nd September 2016, 12:33 PM

Thanks. I'll keep an eye out for the AT205 - doesn't appear to be very readily available in the UK though. I note that it seems to have some kind of ester as it's active ingredient which sounds rather like brake fluid....... So I did some googling around that and it seems that I'm not the first to have thought of this and it is a long standing dodge in the trade. Opinions vary on the effects, long and short term!

More common UK solutions seem to involve different chemistry and once again opinions vary as to the short and long term effects. Must say I'm somewhat horrified at the cost of a cam cover gasket. I saw a price which I thought was steep for a pair and then realised it was for 1 side only!

I'll see how the 10/40 does initially. Car is running well at present so it'll probably get work duties next week which'll be 500 miles or so.

Haven't tried for 150 mph.....

Thanks

Nick
Old 3rd October 2016, 05:58 AM

Depends what you think is dear, but FCP do genuine 32V valve cover gasket sets for US$53.99ea plus US$22 freight - so about £90 delivered.

They have Victor Reinz brand ones on clearance at US$16.99 too, which are a reasonable brand (just be wary of their cam end caps - ones I bought are a bit loose).

Easy Square sell genuine VAG for €29.92ea as well.

Marty

Family:

Sold:
1997 Audi A4

Last edited by 27litres; 3rd October 2016 at 06:02 AM.
Old 4th October 2016, 09:42 PM

Call me tight (many do!) but I think any more than £30 a side is taking the mickey. All the UK one I've found have been £ 50 ish per side. I'm used to old Triumphs with a cork gasket costing a few quid.

Don't recall the one on my C4 A6 (I5 TDI) being stupid money and that's a fairly complex rubber moulding. It's also only needed changing once in 300k/20 years.....

The very similar 1.8 20v ones seem to start at £ 15 though admittedly a much more common engine.

The 10/40 seems to be helping, but early days yet.

Nick