A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Engine Bay

D2 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 13th August 2011, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wallwork View Post
( if not working properly, they make the car a lot less powerful and it uses more fuel)
My cars average fuel DIS was 23.1 mpg before I fixed it. Now it's 21.3.
What? It uses more fuel now you've fixed them?

Had I known I might have been tempted to leave mine broken instead of ordering those classy-looking Gruvenparts items...

I was only in Atlanta a few weeks ago and could have bought a job lot back with me had I read this thread before I flew home!

Regards,
-=Glyn=-
Old 14th August 2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlynH View Post
What? It uses more fuel now you've fixed them?

-
I gotta ask the same. I just hope the numbers are mixed?
1993 Audi S4 2.2 TQ MTM 330 (my first love!)
Old 16th August 2011, 11:40 PM

Ahem.... that was a typo.

Now 23.3. Whoopie-Do!

I've done about 20,000 miles at '23.1', so for the miles since the repair to have built that average mpg up to '23.3' I reckon the car might be doing 24 mpg????

Who cares. It shows the car goes better (faster/ better mpg) with them working.

I love the S8, but them fill ups r hurtin!
Old 6th October 2011, 07:30 PM

bumpski

Last edited by FireStorm; 8th August 2012 at 07:43 PM.
Old 29th January 2013, 11:59 AM

Having driven my "new" FL S8 a fair bit in the last few days I'm beginning to think it may have this problem.
It's nice and urgent at low speeds and low revs, but feels decidedly sluggish above 3000rpm compared to my PF model, which had twice the mileage.

Is it easy to get the relevant covers off to check - any photos I can be pointed at to see what's involved?

I found this pointing at the components to check, but no idea how to get to that view. http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?t=2801728
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 29th January 2013, 02:37 PM

OK, didn't realise how easy that is to do.
Just checked, all seems fine, links are secure and bellows move as they should with engine on and off. Didn't test at high revs though as it's drizzling.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 29th January 2013 at 03:57 PM.
Old 29th January 2013, 10:15 PM

Yep, dead easy when you know where to look lol - I'm guessing maybe cable vs drive by wire and number of valves make it feel quite different to drive?

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 29th January 2013, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
It's nice and urgent at low speeds and low revs, but feels decidedly sluggish above 3000rpm compared to my PF model, which had twice the mileage.
its worth experimenting with the gearbox settings, it tends to respond quicker in "S" mode I think, also when in "D" you can change down using the wheel buttons or the stick which gives it instant pick up (good for over taking) and it drops back into "D" again when it thinks you have put your sensible head back on

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey
Old 30th January 2013, 07:56 AM

Yes Brian & Adrian, I think you're right.
What with the different gearbox control, kickdown switch etc. it probably just needs getting used to.

I haven't checked the floor switch yet TBH but have already accidentally dropped a cog by catching a steering wheel button with the base of my thumb!
And the gear changes are quite "lazy" in Drive - it goes into 5th below 40mph and holds that as it slows - I've driven along for some distance with revs well below 1500 which I could never have done in the old car!

That suits me as there are a lot of slow roads around me where "pottering" is the only option.

I did use a bit of "extreme wellie" last night to quickly pass a group of cars crawling along at about 30 in a 50 limit and it behaved as expected.