A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Motoring > Motormouth

Motormouth Everything, and anything else motoring related that just doesnt belong anywhere else

Old 23rd April 2014, 08:55 AM

Default Fuel Suppliers

Chatting to the lads in work about fuel prices and where I get mine from.
They was shocked that I use Tesco for my fuel needs and said how bad quality supermarket fuel is and such.

I've never really paid much attention to the claims that supermarket fuels was bad cause most of my Diesels ran on biodiesel up till a year ago.

I've started paying a little bit more attention to the claims and reading a little bit more about it.

I'm wondering what's your views are on the subject of supermarket fuels vs others, what do you use and have you noticed any performance or MPG difference between the fuels?
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 23rd April 2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottB5 View Post
Chatting to the lads in work about fuel prices and where I get mine from.
They was shocked that I use Tesco for my fuel needs and said how bad quality supermarket fuel is and such.

I've never really paid much attention to the claims that supermarket fuels was bad cause most of my Diesels ran on biodiesel up till a year ago.

I've started paying a little bit more attention to the claims and reading a little bit more about it.

I'm wondering what's your views are on the subject of supermarket fuels vs others, what do you use and have you noticed any performance or MPG difference between the fuels?
I used to be a Shell Optimax/Nitro man for my S8 (though strangely my Fiat Coupe runs better on BP fuel… ), but converted to Tesco Momentum about 6 months ago following an earlier fuel thread on here, and recommendations on that by Amar, amongst others, and it's as good as Shell, I think. Have a look for that thread, there's lots of useful info and opinions on there.
Old 23rd April 2014, 09:43 AM

This one?
http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6326

Thanks.
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 23rd April 2014, 12:30 PM

My last two cars have both felt better to me with Tesco Momentum
2000 FL D2 4.2 QS - SOLD 2011

Old 23rd April 2014, 01:22 PM

99 Momentum all the way for me. So much better than any other fuel I've used before. I get on average 50-60 miles further per tank.
- Aqua Blue D2 S8 - Grey leather/Alcantara
- D3 A8 3.0 CVT
- D3 3.7 V8
Old 23rd April 2014, 01:59 PM

another vote for Momentum, and its a lot cheaper than Shell as well

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey
Old 23rd April 2014, 03:09 PM

Momentum is Petrol only though innit?
Old 23rd April 2014, 04:48 PM

I only run mine on Tesco 95 RON. Living in sleepy dorset the town only has two petrol stations, Tesco and Esso with the Esso one being nearly 10P a litre more than Tesco. Being a small Tesco it only has standard fuels, so no momentum 99 RON.

Momentum is indeed petrol only, but all Diesel must meet minimum requirements and it is that the car is designed to run on.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 23rd April 2014, 05:04 PM

Did notice a difference on the economy of my D2 and PF D3 on V-Power. Not sure on the diesels, but can't shake the niggling doubt that filling up my car on Asda diesel (it's just round the corner) a lot contributed to the DPF failure (though I'm sure 100k+ miles didn't help either).

I know.. I know..

Old 23rd April 2014, 09:33 PM

I was almost going to try some Momentum, then I started searching online and found a few shocking articles about Tesco's past c#@k ups. I think I'll stay with v-power.

http://www.andoverandvillages.co.uk/...-damaging-cars