A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 3rd September 2014, 08:36 AM

I do like these style of threads.

My current job is IT support which I hate and boring as well.

Outside of work I'm pretty much a jack of all trades and willing to try my hand at anything.
Always willing to help anyone with anything that I can.
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 3rd September 2014, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottB5 View Post
IT support
Same here, but I've been running my own business for the last 10 years so I'm happy.
Pretty much retired now anyway, so only work part-time as and when, mostly for long-standing local customers.
Off shortly to help a local SME business with migration from XP to Windows 8.1. A couple of similar jobs later in the week.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 3rd September 2014, 09:45 AM

Thats a nice little jump for them.

We just rolled out Windows 7 Via SCCM and that was interesting.
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 3rd September 2014, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHefner View Post
Awesome, so we have a hydraulics man on-board? I take it with your industry you're aware of the story of the film Jaws, and how the sea water killed the rig Shark and how the film ended up being the way it was! Less shark that they first wrote and wanted but due to it always being faulty when ever it went in salt water! foolishly on their part they'd built in pool and did the testing there giving the OK for productions to start the 78 alleged days of filming... however the production went on a further 13 months to allow for the fixing of the underwater shark for the filming!

I assume the industry has come along way since then? You say 4,000 metres down. The Titanic is 2.2 miles down so the machines that you build would be OK for that but near to the edge of the ability depth wise.

Regards, Mark.
I never did hear that story about Jaws, but yes the subsea industry has moved forward since then.

The biggest issue is the pressure at depth. Usually electrical connectors leak and cause problems, on the systems we use most of the electrical cables are oil filled to prevent issues, but it still fails from time to time.

The Titanic is certainley within reach or the machines I operate but unlikey to happen.

This is what we normally do.

Old 3rd September 2014, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delboy View Post

That's so cool.

Reminds of the Abyss. Love that film.
Old 3rd September 2014, 10:38 AM

I'm a director at a marketing and design agency. Most of our clients are B2B and we offer a full service package; print, online, pr, copywriting, planning and market strategies.

I'm a designer by profession so if you want something to look pretty, I can help. We also place a massive amount of print so we can often get mate's rates from the printers we use as a favour to us, so bear that in mind if you ever have a print requirement. I may be able to save you a few quid.

Based in Norwich but we service clients throughout the UK (and Sweden bizarrely.)
Old 3rd September 2014, 10:54 AM

Quote:
I never did hear that story about Jaws, but yes the subsea industry has moved forward since then.

The biggest issue is the pressure at depth. Usually electrical connectors leak and cause problems, on the systems we use most of the electrical cables are oil filled to prevent issues, but it still fails from time to time.

The Titanic is certainley within reach or the machines I operate but unlikey to happen.

My mate does exactly the same job. He works for SS7.

2004 A8 3.7q, 1998 A4 2.8q, 1994 Coupe 2.8q SORN,
Old 3rd September 2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattylondon View Post
My mate does exactly the same job. He works for SS7.
What boats he normally on? Strangely I have friend Called Matt that lives in London and he works for SS7

Old 3rd September 2014, 11:37 AM

Quote:
What boats he normally on?
I have no idea. All I know is that he was flying out to the Gulf of Mexico last year, and this year was working off Rio. I'll have to catch up with him over a round of golf soon.

2004 A8 3.7q, 1998 A4 2.8q, 1994 Coupe 2.8q SORN,
Old 3rd September 2014, 03:28 PM

I'm a chauffeur, working almost always in central London and the outskirts for a few different clients but with trips up to Manchester every now and again. Contracted to a company which has a few vehicles but I drive mostly for one family who are occasionally in the public eye and use their own cars so I get to various events and meet new people which I enjoy the most. And of course enjoy driving the cars lots. I spend most of my time in the new Range Rover, Merc S500 and sometimes a new S400 Hybrid so have lots of toys and gadgets to keep me amused whenever I'm waiting around and playing 'chase the parking warden', which is fairly often.

Did a RoSPA course and a security driving course last year and have a bespoke Mercedes-Benz course at Brooklands lined up in November.

Suppose I can't really aid anybody on the forum directly but thought I'd say my bit on the thread anyway!
- Aqua Blue D2 S8 - Grey leather/Alcantara
- D3 A8 3.0 CVT
- D3 3.7 V8

Tags
job, trade, work