A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Everything Else

D3 - Everything Else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 15th July 2017, 06:03 PM

Default Boot locked with key in!

Hi there,

Out for the day, in a suit, girlfriend going to drive, opened doors and boot, put jacket in boot with keys in pocket, close boot. Car won't start, oh.... No key. Ah it's in the boot. Boot handle just manually clicks! Drivers side door boot release button is silent.... Lock / unlock on drivers side is fine, but no boot function!

Any guesses on what to do, apart from go get spare?

It's odd as the doors are fine, stereo works, though some functions greyed out!
Old 15th July 2017, 08:12 PM

If the spare is not easily got, remove the rear seat backrest and fish out the jacket through the opening where the ski hatch would be.
Old 17th July 2017, 11:41 AM

Hi There,

I've actually got a Ski Hatch on mine and i'd made a slit in the bag which i opened up. Shocked the latch on the boot side plate and went fishing. Good job i've got long arms!!!

Interestingly i've got ODB11 which is a Vagcom type thing on a small bluetooth dongle which I tried with my mobile, but most the systems needed the ignition to be on, which i guess adds to the security.

I must admit i'd have though the key in the boot would have been close enough to the proximity sensors to work the ignition or at least the boot lock, to specifically stop this sort of situation

I still find it odd that having the doors open didn't work the boot, but then again, i'm not sure what position my key slot on the boot is in....Guess it stops someone opening your trunk uninvited!

Lee
Old 17th July 2017, 12:22 PM

Check with VCDS, I suspect you have something wrong with the KESSY system - possibly the rear antenna.

In my old D3, if I closed the boot lid with the key inside, it would pop back open!
Old 17th July 2017, 02:16 PM

I thought that the default was for the boot to fail to lock closed with the key inside. Thus ensuring that the gangsters helping you into it would not be inconvenienced when starting your car, by having to first open it up and request the key from you
Old 20th July 2017, 03:40 PM

Hi, you didn't have a mobile phone in your jacket pocket near the key, been hearing quite a few issues with phones/ tablets blocking keyless key signals on cars.
Old 20th July 2017, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamaster View Post
Hi, you didn't have a mobile phone in your jacket pocket near the key, been hearing quite a few issues with phones/ tablets blocking keyless key signals on cars.
Yep. Mine won't work with the phone alongside, or other tech stuff either
Old 3rd August 2017, 09:15 AM

Had the exact same thing with my A8 - I put the keys inside my rucksack and dumped the rucksack in the boot. Weirdly the car started initially and managed to drive away but when I got to my destination I stopped the car but the darn boot wouldn`t open and the car couldn`t detect a key when I tried to re-start. Can only think the bag moved further away from the key sensor while driving.
Current: MY57 Audi A8 3.0 TDI Quattro SE, Silver, Black Comfort Heated Leather, MMI High 2G, Bluetooth, Nav, Voice Control, AMI, Rear Camera, 6CD, 20 inch 9-spoke alloys [in Black], Folding Mirrors, 3-spoke S Line steering wheel + mods to come
Old 9th August 2017, 10:20 AM

I've replaced the batteries as I did ocasionally get the key not present when starting, though a second push of the button normally worked fine.

I have set various things in VCDS in terms of locking so may have defeated the protection for locking the key in the boot. I know that if the car is locked I can open and close the boot and it doesn't open the car and re-arms the alarm (i've got it to beep and flash when it locks).