A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 13th August 2017, 10:33 AM

Default Intermittent "Pads Worn" warning

For once I'll try to leave the humour out.
Some of you may remember that during the Lindisfarne meet I had to park up and wave you all by.
The problem was that as we took a sharp left hand corner there was a rather horrible and loud scraping sound at the front end. After you all went by I crawled under the front end, nothing to be seen. Drove forward a yard or so with the noise still there. drove backwards for a yard, no noise. Had another look underneath and again nothing to be seen. Tried driving forward and we had the normal A8 silence.
Since then we have suffered with this "Pads Worn" light coming on nearly every time Gwen drove the 8, but only occasionally when I drove her (the 8 not SWMBO). No apparent reason or pattern, sometimes just a bump in the road, sometimes when brakes applied, even when parked and ticking over. Nothing to work from.
Because the noise had seemed to be front right I took the front right wheel off and put my calibrated eyeball on the job. I found that the pads sensor wire was under a lot of tension from the socket at the top of it's mounting bracket to the caliper. By slackening the 13 mm holding bolt I was able to move the bracket forward a degree or so; releasing the tension on the wire. I checked the nearside and the cable there was to my mind tight but not under any undue tension, so I adjusted that one as well but not by as much.
In retrospet I think that we must have picked up a stone or something that had lodged against the bracket and twisted it slightly.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 13th August 2017, 11:04 AM

I had the same sequence of events a few years ago, but without the waving.
I think I may have installed the cable into the bracket, or the bracket on the car the wrong way round for this much tension. Sadly the warning became permanent. I tried to repair the cable, but the breakage must be where it is encased in the same moulded insulation as the ABS cable so I gave up. Tried new earth too.

Both sides are wired in series. One side goes to earth and the other to the instrument cluster.

I took out the cluster and made a small jumper wire from an earth pin to the brake sensor pin.