A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Interior Trims

D3 - Interior Trims Seats, dashboards, plastics, everything inside the cabin

Old 10th March 2016, 01:57 AM

Default passenger front door fibre optic light out

Another issue i noticed the other night on the S8 ( as I didnt know the function existed ) is that all the doors have what looks like a long optic light strip under the door trim above the handle/armrest. My passenger one is out, is it a case of change an led somewhere or are these strips self contained units that need replacing?
and are they a pain to do?

cheers
Old 10th March 2016, 02:22 AM

It's a very common problem on D3s and unlikely you'll get a fault code in VCDS for it. Sometimes it's the actual control unit for the fibre optic that plays up, rather than the light unit and I believe it's attached to the back of the door card.
- Aqua Blue D2 S8 - Grey leather/Alcantara
- D3 A8 3.0 CVT
- D3 3.7 V8
Old 10th March 2016, 02:32 AM

Ok thanks.
Is there any way to test either the control unit or light? So I can confirm what needs replacing, other than plugging the light into the drivers door that is!
Old 10th March 2016, 06:21 AM

Most of the ones that broken on mine is down to the EL wire.

The mood lighting uses EL Wire (Electroluminescent wire) which is a coating of phosphor that lights up when AC is plumbed through it.

The phosphor light output gets lower over the years and then eventually just stops.
The only way to test it is to plug another unit in to the module on the door card.

I would not recommend buying 2nd hand, I would buy new.
They are only £40 from Audi and will last the length of time you got the car then.
The only down side with that is that you'll have one door running at full power where everything else could be down to 60% power cause of their age.
so you might want a 2nd hand unit.

I'm really annoyed with my doors being at different brightness, so I'm going to buy 4 new units.

If you do go 2nd hand, don't worry to much about length, you can cut them down to match the length of your door.
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 10th March 2016, 10:21 PM

^^^ What Scott said
I have one dead as well and it's the EL tape which is just dead due to age in almost every case of not every
I'll be replacing all 4 as well soon

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 11th March 2016, 11:35 AM

Ah thanks Scott, I assumed they were LEDs, mine all work but are so dim, you would never know they were there unless you stick something white under the 'ledge' in the pitch dark - I especially can't see any output with the charcoal interior. Just looked it up...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Audi-Light-F.../dp/B00NGZJLYM

I see some generic stuff on aliexpress, I would probably have a go at repacing all 4 door's strips with some of that if it bothered by - I wouldn't spend £120 that's for sure. http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?...minescent+wire

Last edited by snapdragon; 11th March 2016 at 11:40 AM.
Old 11th March 2016, 11:47 AM

nice one, so not really a major problem then!
il add it to the to do list!
Old 11th March 2016, 12:34 PM

Snap, the other option is to buy EL tape from http://elwirecraft.co.uk/ and stick that on to the plastic insert and wire it up.

How many people at the moment would want some new lights?

Me, Snap, Rick, M-A8?
4 each?
16 in total.
Must be able to get a discount on that lot?
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 11th March 2016, 04:56 PM

I need some too! Front passenger one is out