A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Lights

D3 - Lights Headlights, xenons, foglights. Everything outside the car that glows

Old 17th August 2016, 03:32 PM

Default Headlight washers - not working

I have a double warning sound and displays shows both headlights with bulbs out. I've checked all bulbs, they appear good. Could the defective washers cause the warning? I suspect they have been bypassed to avoid the cost of repair. Appears to be a theme with the car
Old 17th August 2016, 06:49 PM

if you have headlight washers therefore xenon lights then they must work to pass the MOT. Mine has failed the last two MOTs because they were initially not working due to split pipework.

The fact the car thinks the headlight bulbs have failed could be why the washers do not work rather than the other way around.

I would suggest that you find someone close to you with VCDS if you do not have it yourself and get a full scan of the car, this should show the actual reasoning for the bulb fail indication.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 17th August 2016, 07:48 PM

I've scanned the car and nothing for exterior headlights is showing up. I do have front interior light errors along with lots of other fault codes that I wont bore you with just now.
Old 18th August 2016, 05:56 AM

It could be warning for side lights/marker lights if they have been changed to LED's and draw too little current.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 18th August 2016, 06:04 AM

I don't know how sophisticated the system is, i.e. whether it will determine that the dipped beam isn't working and therefore not 'fire' the headlight washers.

I found my not to be working much like Mannyo - I started the car, wound the drivers window down and flicked the lights on. I could then flick the windscreen washers, then run round the front of the car to see what the headlight washers were doing. I could see they would pop forward but no water.

Short investigation later found that the hose had split at the back of the driver side headlight where the feed from the washer bottle pump splits in two for the headlights. The water that was supposed to go to the headlight then just poured all over the floor when the washer was activated. That started a syphon effect on my washer bottle, drained it and popped a lower washer fluid alert on the dash.

I would say broken washers would not given you a blown bulb warning but I don't know if the washers won't activate if it thinks the bulbs aren't lit - if that makes sense?

If there has been electrical bodges elsewhere who knows. I guess you've checked the fuses and relays relating to the headlights?

Have you scanned the car with the proper hex-can / VCDS cable setup, a normal OBD reader would only talk to one or two of the control modules; these audis have quite a complex setup with a lot of different modules spread across multiple can lines.

Factory: finger print, tv, xenons, keyless entry & go, soft close boot, 19s, and probably lots more besides

Done: fixed headlight washer leak, fit Bluetooth in place of factory phone

To do: DAB, DTV, fix soft close boot, get a spare key, investigate NSF bushes,
Old 18th August 2016, 09:47 AM

Have you looked in 55 as well as 46 (in VCDS).
Old 19th August 2016, 02:02 PM

Scanned with genuine Ross tech VCDS, 55 clear, 46 fault 00985 - rear tail light & alarm horn
Old 1st January 2017, 10:45 PM

Update - found split in main supply line to nozzle. Heat shrink sorted it! working 100%