A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Transmission

D2 - Transmission Gearboxes, diffs, drive shafts.

Old 7th April 2009, 08:24 PM
entwisi

Default Is this 'right'

not sure if its just because its still doing self learn , whats your's like?

Car 97 PF 4.2 QS, doing ~ 60 on Mway, nicely in top, want to waft up to 80, press pedal a bit(about 1/2way not flat out), box goes down to 4th revs start to rise, then hits ~ 2750rpm and decides "No, I think he wants 3rd", changes down again, suddenly I'm at 5K with 300bhp trying to propel me into the back of the thing in front. FFS, its a 4.2 liter V8, Use the Torque Luke!!!

even in Tip mode, wafting in 5th, 40-50, click down 2, into 3rd, revs now at 2.5K, press pedal, box changes down AGAIN without me asking it to.

If I'm not overrevving it let me sodding decide what I want to do

Is mine 'different' or do I just need to set the TCU code using VAG-COM? Do I need to wait till its settled after its rebuild?

what setting should I use, I want

In TIP, unless I'm about to blow up or revs drop below 1K don't change for me...

In D, drop a gear by all means when I press teh pedal beyond 1/2 way but I really don't want to go down 2 with 2 second delay between changes to be suddenly at 5K rpm and heading for the horizon with all horses in full flight.
Old 8th April 2009, 07:30 AM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

Have a read through this thread.

Recoding the 97 box has not been covered, but it 'should' act like you want it to. It'll only be a vagcom exercise to change it though.

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 15th April 2009, 10:06 AM
entwisi

Update:

Well, 3 weeks in and its definitely learning my driving style and is a lot better than it was, It seems happy to let it hold 3rd and 4th on a partial throttle rather than constantly trying to change up to 5th at all opportunities. Its not jumping down 2 gears as often due to holding the gears mentioned above and is driving much more like my old T5 did

I'm back at the gearbox place this affy for its check over to make sure there are no leaks, levels are right etc etc.
Old 15th April 2009, 04:45 PM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 16th April 2009, 04:12 PM
harpersimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
Update:

Well, 3 weeks in and its definitely learning my driving style and is a lot better than it was, It seems happy to let it hold 3rd and 4th on a partial throttle rather than constantly trying to change up to 5th at all opportunities. Its not jumping down 2 gears as often due to holding the gears mentioned above and is driving much more like my old T5 did

I'm back at the gearbox place this affy for its check over to make sure there are no leaks, levels are right etc etc.

Notice you orignally said it changes even when in Tip mode? without intervention from you? Thats not right is it? Surely should only change in tip mode when either slowing down and you haven't changed down, or if you really boot it into kick down land?
Old 16th April 2009, 05:06 PM
entwisi

nope, still changes if I press past half way even when its already 'making progress' quite nicely then its pause, whoosh as all 300bhp kicks in at 5.5K
Old 20th April 2009, 04:29 PM
harpersimon

Just to be totally clear, you are saying that in TIP mode (i.e. Manual shift), it changes down for more grunt when you are accelerating yes?
something is amiss there unless I am to be corrected, as the whole point of TIP is you shift it. Shouldn't be changing down at all unless you instigate it, or kick down.
Old 20th April 2009, 05:37 PM

Not 100% sure how the kickdown works in tip, but I feel it at the very end of the throttle push as if it's pushing a switch in. Maybe you have something stuck at either the pedal or throttle end which is causing it to kick in too early.

Or maybe you need to do a throttle position reset. Sure I saw the procedure somewhere (though that may be for facelifts).
Old 21st April 2009, 07:02 AM
entwisi

Yes, even in TIP set in 3rd, 50-60 mph, revs at say 2.5ish, press hard but certainly not to teh bottom and it changes down. I was wondering if kickdown was coming in early.

I'm sort of driving round it by squeezing rather than flooring, once the revs seem to hit 3K it doesn't do it so its "squeeze, - 3K, floor..."
Old 22nd April 2009, 01:32 PM
harpersimon

Thanks for the clarification. Something is very wrong there then.
Using TIP mode is a recognised method of checking if the kickdown works as people seldom know in daily life. There is another thread on this, but essentially you drive along in 4th at 30ish, and dump the throttle hard to the floor - thats the only time in TIP you should get a change down, and it won't be a sublte one! (other than if you come to a halt in anything other than 1st!)
VAGCOM it? does that say anything?

Last edited by harpersimon; 22nd April 2009 at 04:12 PM.