A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Body and Exterior

D3 - Body and Exterior Bumpers, bonnets, glass, trims - Everything outside

Old 1st May 2014, 06:42 PM

My electrically opens as it should but pressing the button does nothing.

Had a look tonight and the cables and connectors all look good and there is 12v to the boot close switch.

The question is the part number is 3D0 959 831C

I can see a couple for sale but are an H suffix, would this work or do I need the C suffix?
Old 1st May 2014, 08:31 PM

Just checking... are you pressing the button long enough?
Old 1st May 2014, 09:06 PM

Hours

Without doubt the button has had it, took it out the car tonight and the little zippy micro switch in it has had its day
Old 1st May 2014, 10:49 PM

What does it look like? (photo)

I ask because I had problems with my D2 boot due to water ingress and ended up replacing the latch mechanism due to a faulty microswitch.
The mechanisms are generally robust, but the switches are susceptible to damp (but cleanable), so I now have a couple of spare microswitches (working) that I have kept as a net result.
They may well be the same. Or is this the switch in the car?
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 1st May 2014, 11:22 PM

No camera to hand but the part of the zippy switch that is pressed by the main boot close button had worn and broken inside the switch.

Also it did look like the solder and the switch itself had been impacted by the damp and was not too ship shape.

For the sake of £20 on eBay I am happy to buy another I just wanted to ensure I grab the right flavour of switch.
Old 9th May 2014, 08:58 AM

3D0 959 831H Button (From a Skoda) installed just now fro Ebay and the boot button now works as it should and closes the boot.........

.......though it does not latch and comes back up again!

Last edited by Sir WIll; 9th May 2014 at 09:00 AM.
Old 9th May 2014, 09:31 AM

Aha fixed!

The drivers side outer brake light was not aligned and fouling the boot slightly when closing.

Adjusted the washers and pushed it out a couple of mm and all is working well
Old 9th May 2014, 09:32 AM

Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 9th May 2014, 09:37 AM

Do you not love it when you can tell someone has been there before!

The boot lock drum was in place but not been bolted into place! I think someone forgot those last time they were having a look!
Old 9th May 2014, 09:41 AM

Nope.
That really winds me up.

They can't be assed to do the simple little tasks of a job.
Missing clips, covers or ill fitting parts cause they rush.
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.