A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D4 > D4 - Lights

D4 - Lights Headlights, xenons, foglights. Everything outside the car that glows

Old 9th March 2016, 12:27 AM

Default D4 Facelift conversion

Hi all

I've had my base spec d4 for around 6 months now and have begun to upgrade, wheels, tints, dashboard and have sourced S8 bumpers, just waiting on them to be sprayed.

I'm interested in doing the front and rear facelift conversion as I can source the parts relatively cheaply.

Long shot, but does anyone have any info on doing a retrofit on the front lights? I've got standard Xenons and would like to upgrade to facelift Matrix. Which parts would I need to sort this, can it be done?

Cheers
James
Old 10th March 2016, 08:30 PM

An upgrade to matrix headlights will involve at least changing the control module and obviously new headlamp units including ballasts and fans. You may also need a new power module for the fans, a wiring harness and coding.
They look very smart but it's likely to cost you £3k if you are using new parts.
A company like Kufatec or BKS tuning may have more information.
Post a few photos, we dont get many modded D4's on here.
Old 13th December 2016, 05:23 PM

Default facelift,

What year did the D4 get a face lift, I had a 2012 D4, now have a 2015 D4 , I thought they were the same, except the exhaust, mine has the matrix headlights , they do seem good,
Old 13th December 2016, 06:42 PM

2014, having had both for extensive periods very little between them from a driving experience perspective
Old 16th December 2016, 07:30 PM

Hi,

I have had both too. A 2012 D4 and now a 2015 D4. The differences I have noticed are subtle, bt I think they are as follows:-

a couple of extra creases in the bonnet, new headlights and front bumper, new rear lights and bumper (removes the lip between the bottom of the boot and bumper), chrome strip across boot and new exhaust tailpipes.

I reckon that the suspension has been tweaked too, as now on 20" wheels and feels better than 2012 D4 on 19" (same tyre brand and type).

Very subtle changes inside, mainly around ability to run two SIMS simultaneously, one in dash and bluetooth.

Matrix beam has a camera in the rear view mirror, so that would be required too, and I believe needs calibrating by dealer if you have a new windscreen etc, or I guess mod it.

Cheers
Mark
Old 2nd January 2017, 09:23 AM

James, I had a 2012 S8 with led headlights but non Matrix, and because of the high beam assist it was possible to upgrade almost plug and play to the Matrix led,same wiring ect simply uses the camera in the windshield for the matrix. They are self contained units so no control modules needed the brains are in the light itself.

I've just ordered my 2017 S8 now it comes standard with matrix. Although I'm very dissatisfied that the virtual cockpit is not available after holding out. I've been told by the dealer that the D5 is not going into production until late 2018 so it's unlikely I'll have a VC until late then.

Hope that helps
Old 30th May 2017, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM311S View Post
Hi all

I've had my base spec d4 for around 6 months now and have begun to upgrade, wheels, tints, dashboard and have sourced S8 bumpers, just waiting on them to be sprayed.

I'm interested in doing the front and rear facelift conversion as I can source the parts relatively cheaply.

Long shot, but does anyone have any info on doing a retrofit on the front lights? I've got standard Xenons and would like to upgrade to facelift Matrix. Which parts would I need to sort this, can it be done?

Cheers
James

Hey JAM3115

Do you have any pre and post conversion pictures of the car? were you able to get the matrix headlamp fixed ?
Getting 2012 A8 L 4.2Fsi today would love to get those conversions
Old 9th June 2017, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivapower View Post
Hey JAM3115

Do you have any pre and post conversion pictures of the car? were you able to get the matrix headlamp fixed ?
Getting 2012 A8 L 4.2Fsi today would love to get those conversions
Hi mate, no not attempted as yet. I have since learned that there are two types of headlight on the facelift car; the more basic LED headlamp, and then the matrix headlamp.

I've already bought most of the parts (inc 1 x matrix) however I suspect the standard facelift LED headlights will be far more straightforward. So I may end up fitting them instead.

Cheers,
James