A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Motoring > Motormouth

Motormouth Everything, and anything else motoring related that just doesnt belong anywhere else

Old 21st June 2017, 06:13 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delboy View Post
So were nearly 2 years down the line and my local Shell station still doesnt have this pay and go thing.

And apparently you've switched to driving a Saab too Delboy

I was just thinking about this yesterday coincidentally.

I tried using Fill Up & Go a few times when it was first launched but (because of all the issues) I gave up trying and had pretty much forgotten about it until yesterday.

I have the Shell App on my phone still, but I find that slow and buggy, which doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.

So does Fill Up & Go work reliably now?
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 21st June 2017, 07:19 PM

I wouldn't know, I have yet to find a station that does it

Old 21st June 2017, 10:05 PM

I've been using it for ages now. On my travels, I do sometimes find a Shell station that doesn't have it and that drives me crazy now that I've gotten so used to it. It feels like such a pain to walk in and pay now!

The app was truly awful and would crash two or three times every time I opened it. It's still not exactly slick but it works much better now. I still hate the way offers need to be activated and they sometimes don't appear until you've opened the app, so you may miss an offer on bonus points for refuelling because you've just refuelled without seeing the offer.

There are now two methods of payment - either PayPal or ApplePay. I had a few issues with PayPal when it was first launched, so I switched to ApplePay.

The trigger to start a payment is no longer scanning the QR code at the pump. It's now selecting 'pay at pump' in the app, which locates you and whether or not you're at a participating station. Then, you can either tap in the pump number or scan the QR code.

Overall, I'm pleased with the system and I'd hate to go back to the old way of the flaky chip and pin readers at the pumps, or even walking in to pay. The app still needs tweaking and I wish the offers were a little less work.

2008 Audi S8
Old 22nd June 2017, 04:05 AM

Now all you need to for all oil companies to offer what 7-11 (they bought the Mobil fuel distribution network here a few years ago) does here.
On their app, you can track the fuel cost 'cycle' and lock in the lowest price for the week and pay that price when you finally need to fill up...

I never use 7-11, as I prefer to use BP Ultimate (and BP remain the only fuel company not affiliated with a Supermarket (or 7-11)), but I do like that app and wish the other oil companies would follow suit!

Marty

Replacement head coming arrived thanks to MJ
Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
2009 Volvo XC90 V8 R Design
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
- Hamilton's Club Sport, Achat Grey (will miss the old girl)