A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Everything Else

D3 - Everything Else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 9th September 2015, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnzybubbles View Post
It's alive

It was dark so couldn't take any finishing photos but iv flushed the oil and just need to finish flushing the coolant and it's ready to hit the road, had trouble with an air lock but I'll post pictures of my handy little trick that cured it and got pretty much most the air out the system
Well done
That's got to be a huge sense of satisfaction on getting it to live again!

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 9th September 2015, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architex_mA8tey View Post
Well done
That's got to be a huge sense of satisfaction on getting it to live again!
Thanks for the kind words

I'd say more relief than satisfaction, but I do feel like I've accomplished quite a big job and been very thorough, I didn't even have any bolts left over hahaha!

I spent half the time cleaning parts but atleast it'll be good for another few years, I was getting quite stressed over the thought of doing all the work so the time off work has been a blessing, sitting in my 8 earlier running it at fast idle whilst flushing the oil, just sitting in there was so much nicer than the Leon, I really miss using the car, it's got real presence inside of a well put together motor

It needs a bloody good wash though haha!
Old 9th September 2015, 10:53 PM

There's only one problem I can see.... Youv'e put it back together with two cylinders missing....

Seriously though.... good job... well done !!
Old 9th September 2015, 10:59 PM

Well done, after all that you have earned a few comfortable years in an 8.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 10th September 2015, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee S View Post
There's only one problem I can see.... Youv'e put it back together with two cylinders missing....

Seriously though.... good job... well done !!

I do still wish I'd of bought the 4.0 or the 4.2tdi but I like my little 3.0 as well, and I feel fairly comfortable with the car now esp after all the work that's gone into it

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc4332 View Post
Well done, after all that you have earned a few comfortable years in an 8.
thanks for the positive comments though guys

And I do hope to have many more years to come in an 8, nothing comes close regarding to what it can do and how it does it
Old 10th September 2015, 10:17 PM

Well today I cleaned up and cleaned all my tools and put them away finished the coolant flush and bled the system and topped the oil back up, fitted the under tray with some new clips to replace broken ones and then give the engine bay a quick wipe over.

I got bored of waiting on Wednesday so drove all the way to Worcester Audi to pick up an exhaust gasket they luckily had on the shelf, was supposed to take an hour and 50 minutes but I done it slightly under that so by Wednesday evening in the pitch black I had the exhaust manifold on the car with all the intercooler pipe work fitted and cleaned.

Some of the parts ready to go on

Engine bay finished

And a video of it all done, the flashing glow plug light was from not deleting the codes from the Ecu yet, rattle at start up has gone and its purring lovely, well as lovely as a diesel can do in all honesty :rofl:

Took it for a test run and let it warm up for the first few miles to get all the fluids flowing round, then stuck it into sport mode and gave it some beans, puff of smoke from left over oil residue and it ran lovely, brakes need a few miles on them as they have been sitting so long, but I really have missed the sure footedness of the 8 and the way it just goes when accelerating

Al in all a good test drive and I didn't want to get out, going to give it a wash tomorrow and enjoy it for the first weekend in nearly 3 months
Old 11th September 2015, 07:45 AM

Congratulations fella, I have great respect and admiration for anyone that can tackle a task like you've just done, glad you're finally back in your 8 and are able to enjoy it again. Just in time for the weekend as well, just wash, polish and drive.......lots, well earned

Audi D3 S8 - 2007 - V10. B&O, Phantom Black, black and silver interior, and still completely standard with everything working as it should

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra
Old 11th September 2015, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norretal View Post
Congratulations fella, I have great respect and admiration for anyone that can tackle a task like you've just done, glad you're finally back in your 8 and are able to enjoy it again. Just in time for the weekend as well, just wash, polish and drive.......lots, well earned
Thanks mate that's nice to hear.

once you get into it though it's not all that bad, I was a little overwhelmed at first but the internet is a wealth of knowledge and really helped with giving me ideas on how to do some things.

I'm over the moon to be back in my 8, it has such a essence of being special about it, everything is just nice, I even enjoy cleaning it and its massive

Iv only done a few short runs in it so far but it's been faultless, well apart from the glow plug light due to the two different types of plugs and a side light that's on its last legs and giving an error, but they will get done over the next week or so, I'm hopefully travelling to London for the day on Monday and instead of using the Leon I am going to take the 8 and give it a good run and let the electronics settle, I'm actually excited of the thought
Old 24th October 2015, 02:13 PM

Mot'd today and clean bill of health for another year

Not been using it much though and still have the glow plugs to sort out, oh and now a coolant temp sensor that I think has been a cold starting issue I put down to the a5 injectors my fan kicked in a few days ago on full speed when stone cold and I wasn't happy in the thought of replacing the front fans as its dealer only.

Been pottering around in a Mondeo Zetec S estate tdci for a month or so now, great work horse, it's a pain to get the A8 out from where it's stored at the moment so been using the Mondeo on weekends too, but as I got it out for mot today I'm going to enjoy it for the rest of the day
Old 24th October 2015, 02:47 PM

Get of the forum and go out and enjoy then

Nite Blue 3.0L SE Quattro