A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Motoring > Motormouth

Motormouth Everything, and anything else motoring related that just doesnt belong anywhere else

Old 24th July 2015, 09:44 AM

Default Shell launches Fill Up & Go

Hi everyone,

I've been a bit quiet as of late due to a project that's been keeping me busy at Shell that I wanted to shamelessly plug.

As of yesterday, we launched the Shell Fill Up & Go mobile payments service - powered by PayPal - here in the UK as part of the Shell Motorist app.

It allows customers to pay for fuel from the comfort of their vehicle by scanning a QR code instead of having to go inside.

The main benefits include:
- Speed as you don't have to go into the shop to pay for your fuel any more (if you want more than fuel you will have to obviously )
- Digital receipts - no more paper and it's emailed after your transaction
- If you are a registered Shell Drivers Club member and log into the app, your points are automatically added to your account

We're the first fuels retailer to launch this and we're currently live in hundreds of sites across the country and looking to roll out to more in the coming months. To find which sites have Fill Up & Go enabled, please use the station locator function in the Shell Motorist app.

It's been a very exciting project and the reason for posting is that it would be great to get some more feedback from members that may be (or are likely) to use it. Given it's a relatively small group, it would be very helpful.

It is available to download from the Apple and Google Play app stores

Thanks in advance and hope you like it!

Oli

CURRENT: 2006 Audi A8 D3 4.2 Tdi QS - CLICK HERE FOR PROJECT THREAD: Audi Exclusive Azure Blue, Amaretto brown interior, facelift rear lights, S8 mirrors, B&O, ACC, Digital TV, glass sunroof, Fridge, Extended Leather Pack 2, wooden steering wheel & gearknob, keyless entry, keyless start, electric boot, softclose doors

SOLD : 2000 FL Silver D2 4.2 QS - Solar sunroof, Bose, Blinds, NavPlus, Playstation, DVD, wireless headphones, iPhone AV connection, RS6 steering wheel, chrome mirrors, phone prep, xenons, servotronic steering, Rear screen, TV-in-motion, NavPlus Alu rings, S8 exhaust, S8 bonnet grille, 385mm D3 S8 brakes, rubber winter mats, De-badged rear, US rear indicator clusters, 20" Final Edition diamond cut wheels, 15mm Eibach Pro spacers (front), 20mm H&R hubcentric spacers (rear).

Audi A8/S8 D2 Flickr Group

Last edited by Oli18; 24th July 2015 at 09:53 AM.
Old 24th July 2015, 10:20 AM

I've been using the App for a while whilst collecting points, so looking forward to using this. Maybe misguided, however slightly concerned about the security aspect as could a scanner operated from nearby not intercept the payment process?
Old 24th July 2015, 11:11 AM

Sounds great but when i tried to register and log in with paypal it fails, im sure it will be sorted at some point and will be great when it is.

Cheers for the heads up

Old 24th July 2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delboy View Post
Sounds great but when i tried to register and log in with paypal it fails, im sure it will be sorted at some point and will be great when it is.

Cheers for the heads up
same here, already had the shell motorist app but it wouldnt let me register in with Paypal

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 24th July 2015, 01:12 PM

Hi - as soon as I posted the thread, the PayPal registration error was discovered.

Apologies for this and the PayPal and Shell teams are working to rectify it. I will let you know once it's fixed.

Thanks,

Oli

CURRENT: 2006 Audi A8 D3 4.2 Tdi QS - CLICK HERE FOR PROJECT THREAD: Audi Exclusive Azure Blue, Amaretto brown interior, facelift rear lights, S8 mirrors, B&O, ACC, Digital TV, glass sunroof, Fridge, Extended Leather Pack 2, wooden steering wheel & gearknob, keyless entry, keyless start, electric boot, softclose doors

SOLD : 2000 FL Silver D2 4.2 QS - Solar sunroof, Bose, Blinds, NavPlus, Playstation, DVD, wireless headphones, iPhone AV connection, RS6 steering wheel, chrome mirrors, phone prep, xenons, servotronic steering, Rear screen, TV-in-motion, NavPlus Alu rings, S8 exhaust, S8 bonnet grille, 385mm D3 S8 brakes, rubber winter mats, De-badged rear, US rear indicator clusters, 20" Final Edition diamond cut wheels, 15mm Eibach Pro spacers (front), 20mm H&R hubcentric spacers (rear).

Audi A8/S8 D2 Flickr Group

Last edited by Oli18; 24th July 2015 at 08:30 PM.
Old 24th July 2015, 01:21 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Interesting.

So, as I understand it, you select how much fuel you want (£20 - £150 according to the Shell website) and the pump automatically cuts off when you reach the chosen amount ...

Can you also pay for just the amount of fuel taken, by putting the pump nozzle back, in case the tank is full before you reach the chosen amount?
------------------------------------------------------

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 24th July 2015, 02:02 PM

If you authorise 150 but only take 5.23 you only pay 5.23

Old 24th July 2015, 02:41 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delboy View Post
If you authorise 150 but only take 5.23 you only pay 5.23
That's what I suspected. Thanks

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 24th July 2015, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli18 View Post
It allows customers to pay for fuel from the comfort of their vehicle by scanning a QR code instead of having to go inside.
But we still have to leave the comfort of our car to fill it up?
I suppose its progress of sorts...... How about having a person near the pumps who actually fills it up for you, offers to check your oil and gives your windscreen a smeary wipe? Now THAT would be progress. We could call them pump attendants!

and another thing I have only just "upgraded" to an iphone 4 and that seems totally unsupported as all these apps seem to be for IOS 6 and above.

I had a full on toot at some poor cashier the other day as the card only pump wouldnt unlock until, as stated clearly, I "swiped" my Tesco card. I got her out of the comfort of her booth to do it and she said you hold it steady in front of the scanner - not move it. I said it clearly states you SWIPE it and that they should provide less ambiguous intructions. Exit one grumpy cashier stage left. I however, felt much better. Mrs D was cringing in the car.

Rant over. Off to get my coat now.
Old 24th July 2015, 03:52 PM

it'll be kind of like Tesco or Asda pay at pump I guess except we use an app on our phone to pay instead of the Debit card straight into the pump.

Oli, is there a maximum spend like Tesco and Asda which have a max of £99 on pay at pump.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles