A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Motoring > Motormouth

Motormouth Everything, and anything else motoring related that just doesnt belong anywhere else

Old 24th July 2015, 04:24 PM

I saw this at my local Shell and I'm looking forward to it.

I didn't realise it automatically assigns points to your account, which has always stopped me using pay at pump before, although there was a brief period where the pay at pump machines accepted a pluspoints card.

David, funny you mention that - my local Shell has an attended pump service where there is someone who will gas up your tank for you.

2008 Audi S8
Old 24th July 2015, 06:44 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyo View Post
Oli, is there a maximum spend like Tesco and Asda which have a max of £99 on pay at pump.
£150, I think:

http://www.shell.co.uk/motorist/shel...-it-works.html
Quote:
  • From inside your car, open the Shell Motorist app and tap “Fill Up & Go”
  • Once the service starts, choose how much you want to spend – from £20 to £150.
  • Stay in your car and scan the QR code displayed at the pump.
  • The app will activate the pump and you’re ready to refill.
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 24th July 2015, 08:40 PM

Hi,

Apologies for the outage today - PayPal unfortunately had a global registration issue on a specific API which has affected all companies that use it. The fix has been identified and is rolling out as we speak so many should be able to use it now but some may still have to wait a few hrs as the solution is updated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornershop View Post
I've been using the App for a while whilst collecting points, so looking forward to using this. Maybe misguided, however slightly concerned about the security aspect as could a scanner operated from nearby not intercept the payment process?
Hi Cornership - we've had to do an enormous amount of testing of not just our own systems but also PayPal's who are the actual payment provider. I'll try and see if i can get a more official answer to your question after the weekend but it's PayPal and they are the leaders in online payments and security.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyo View Post
it'll be kind of like Tesco or Asda pay at pump I guess except we use an app on our phone to pay instead of the Debit card straight into the pump.
Hi Manny - yes but the app should be quicker. That and you get your loyalty points added automatically and no more paper receipts. It also stores all your previous transactions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delboy View Post
If you authorise 150 but only take 5.23 you only pay 5.23
Thansk Delboy - you're absolutely right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Tony View Post
David, funny you mention that - my local Shell has an attended pump service where there is someone who will gas up your tank for you.
That's right, we have what we call 'attended service' is select stations and at specific times. It's not a service we offer everywhere and during the whole day but it's in place in specific locations. To find out where it's available, please check out the Shell Station Locator, click on the filter 'services and amenities' and select 'attended service'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltuae View Post
That's correct. However, in the first few days, the maximum is still £100 for testing purposes. The £150 option will be available in the coming week approximately.

CURRENT: 2006 Audi A8 D3 4.2 Tdi QS - CLICK HERE FOR PROJECT THREAD: Audi Exclusive Azure Blue, Amaretto brown interior, facelift rear lights, S8 mirrors, B&O, ACC, Digital TV, glass sunroof, Fridge, Extended Leather Pack 2, wooden steering wheel & gearknob, keyless entry, keyless start, electric boot, softclose doors

SOLD : 2000 FL Silver D2 4.2 QS - Solar sunroof, Bose, Blinds, NavPlus, Playstation, DVD, wireless headphones, iPhone AV connection, RS6 steering wheel, chrome mirrors, phone prep, xenons, servotronic steering, Rear screen, TV-in-motion, NavPlus Alu rings, S8 exhaust, S8 bonnet grille, 385mm D3 S8 brakes, rubber winter mats, De-badged rear, US rear indicator clusters, 20" Final Edition diamond cut wheels, 15mm Eibach Pro spacers (front), 20mm H&R hubcentric spacers (rear).

Audi A8/S8 D2 Flickr Group

Last edited by Oli18; 24th July 2015 at 09:09 PM.
Old 28th July 2015, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's8 View Post
But we still have to leave the comfort of our car to fill it up?
I suppose its progress of sorts...... How about having a person near the pumps who actually fills it up for you, offers to check your oil and gives your windscreen a smeary wipe? Now THAT would be progress. We could call them pump attendants!

I had a full on toot at some poor cashier the other day as the card only pump wouldnt unlock until, as stated clearly, I "swiped" my Tesco card. I got her out of the comfort of her booth to do it and she said you hold it steady in front of the scanner - not move it. I said it clearly states you SWIPE it and that they should provide less ambiguous intructions. Exit one grumpy cashier stage left. I however, felt much better. Mrs D was cringing in the car.

Rant over. Off to get my coat now.
Ah pump attendants whatever happened to those.
I suppose health and safety would not allow you to do it nowadays as there is a risk of being run over, punched in the face and run over, burned and run over or just plane and simple inhalation of fumes.

And what if you don't have a Tesco card?.

I reckon if Shell were to stop all the leaks in their pipework their fuel could be a lot cheaper.

Also think that if you spill it you clear it up rather than just argue for years over how much to pay locals for ruining their lives and the world they live in. That's not just shell that's all oil companies.

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 29th July 2015, 11:44 AM

Well a wee update from me, I managed to link my PayPal to my app then went to install the same app on the wife's phone so when she fills up its all together.

Fail, same error as first time round wtf??

Tried loads of times then it decided to say my pass word was wrong, had I forgot it in the space of a day mmm not likely. Tried a reset anyway, received an email from shell about login with temp password instructions and go to places within the app to change password that don't even exist.

Whoever built this app needs firing, I can find my way through most IT issues but this one is like a Jedi level Mensa test.

Not impressed Oli, I know it's not your fault but perhaps you know who's arse needs kicking.

Old 29th July 2015, 11:50 AM

Maybe a ex fisherman in Bodo has plenty of time on his hands could have a look at it

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 29th July 2015, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delboy View Post

Whoever built this app needs firing, I can find my way through most IT issues but this one is like a Jedi level Mensa test.
Well I've got no chance then, I can't even embed photos in my posts so this will be way beyond my capabilities

I'll wait until the glitches are sorted before attempting it, and will watch for further updates on this thread in the meantime

Audi D3 S8 - 2007 - V10. B&O, Phantom Black, black and silver interior, and still completely standard with everything working as it should

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra
Old 29th July 2015, 03:21 PM

Hi Oli,
I just wanted to say that having received the e-mail from Shell advertising the launch of Fill & Go, I had to decline due to one specific reason.

I have a cashback credit card that gives me 3% discount on fuel purchases. I'll lose that if I am paying for my fuel through Paypal instead. Had I been able to assign a credit card to an account and maintained the cash back, I dare say I'd be using Fill & Go already.

No doubt there will be reasons for linking payment to Paypal, security being chief among them. Take heart that I'll still be an enthusiastic user of VPower fuels and will continue to collect points on behalf of Macmillan nurses, something which I would encourage all Shell customers to do.
Old 29th July 2015, 03:31 PM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

I have the same card, so won't be using this service either.
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 29th July 2015, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
Maybe a ex fisherman in Bodo has plenty of time on his hands could have a look at it
Bodo Norway?