A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Everything Else

D3 - Everything Else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 10th January 2017, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianHicks View Post
Is that including labour as well? And who's doing it for you?
Castle Coachworks in Northampton are doing it, this price includes supply of part, spray to match, remove door card, fit, reassemble. They recon it should take 45 minutes to do once the part has been arrived and sprayed.

I highly recommend their work, but I can't guarantee this will solve your problem, I am in the same boat, but odds are on it being the KESSY system based on all other comments
Old 10th January 2017, 03:50 PM

I would like to see some pics of the door handle itself being disassembled too. Can you take out the pad without damaging or cutting permanently plastic welded stuff or so?
Old 10th January 2017, 04:03 PM

Not sure if the photos comment was meant for me, but I'll ask castle to give me back the old one so I can perform some surgery on it, see whats going on under there
Old 10th January 2017, 05:14 PM

Julian
I was trying to remove the grey button with a small pick ...i torn the rubber boot of it and ended up buggering it up somewhat ..... i cannot see how you could take the handle apart without wrecking it .

The Uni t 203 is just a hand held volt meter / inductive amps clamp ....its handy just for doing quick ' asleep testing ' .

On the our pico scope i can set say a 24 hour time base and leave it hooked up to the car in the workshop overnight ...... then where i see a blip on the graph i can expand it out to see whats happening in more detail .

Passenger side end of dash fuse box , 42 vehicle access system

Where i would start is put your amp meter on the battery ..... i would say an inductive one is a better choice here as most multimeters will not carry the load that these a8s have when they wake .....you will end up popping fuses on the meter all the time , or use a meter and use a shunt between battery and heavy lead .
Roll the boot catch over lock the car and just watch the meter in the boot for a time to see what amps its pulling .
Old 10th January 2017, 05:15 PM

Battery shunt

Old 11th January 2017, 05:22 PM

More useful comment guys and in particular, Lee, thanks for your input and pictures.

So the Pico is, I now assume, an expensive device that can plot voltages and /or currents over time, presumably using an inductive clamp, so you can leave it and look later?

And what do you mean by 'rolling the lock over'? [When I'm charging I just prop my boot open slightly with a polystyrene block and note that the central locking 'locks up' but doesn't light the door LEDs].

Oh, and by the way, my car's outside so with no cover I need to prepare for any bad weather ...

Julian

Audi A8 3.0TDI MY2005 in Midnight Blue. Gone since 2018, after 10 years!
Old 11th January 2017, 09:21 PM

Yes pico scope is a 4 channel automotive scope i use a bit , but just hand held inductive amps clamp well get you a long way ...aslong as it can go quite low down to 50 milli amps say

Rolling the locks over means with say a screw driver blade click the catch mechanism over so the car sees the doors or boot as shut so you can lock the car up and set the alarm ...its so the car is in the same condition as you leave when you lock it up .

So amps clamp around battery earth lead ,roll boot latch over , lock car and watch amps draw after 10 mins see what sort of amps draw you have
Old 12th January 2017, 06:12 PM

Julian,
Just to clarify.
When Lee says "scope" it is short for "oscilliscope"
It gives a visual view of waveforms in an electric circuit.
Hope that helps.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 12th January 2017, 06:26 PM

Lee and Ray; thanks for the latest comments.

Didn't realise I could 'ping' the boot lock so that the car thought it was locked - useful tip.

Just need to get an appropriate 'clamp solution' for reading amp flow and a spell of clear weather ...

Julian

Update: Just ordered clamp meter from ebay [but it's from China, so will take a while ]

Audi A8 3.0TDI MY2005 in Midnight Blue. Gone since 2018, after 10 years!

Last edited by JulianHicks; 12th January 2017 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Add update
Old 12th January 2017, 09:44 PM

Have you ordered the one like ive got Jullian ? I got mine from an english seller was here in 2 days .

When using it always make sure you go to dc as when you flick through ranges it always defaults to ac , and always zero it when using amps function after changing ranges and when zeroing it dont have clamp around the cable

Its really handy ive been using it on all kinds at work