A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Interior Electrics

D3 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 7th March 2017, 10:32 AM

Top man, thanks for this - will give it a go later, its just the front one that needs doing.
Old 7th March 2017, 10:57 AM

What he said!

They pivot from the rear end, pry gently the front end and they come out. Just swapped one of mine yesterday as the Trups LED was failing after about 1.5 yrs. Waiting on Trups for a replacement and some more bulbs for boot etc., but thought I'd swap the rear to the front.

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

2008 D3, gone, but not forgotten after 9 years and 90k.
Old 7th March 2017, 03:34 PM

Hijack

If the interior lights are not canvus checked then how come I get a roof module error with those replaced for led without resistors? They work but trigger a vcds error.

As for licence plate leds I just wired in parallel a tiny glow bulb light but I'd rather use a more sophisticated resistor. Don't known which ohm I should use to create minimal heat. Without a load the led just flicker and are switched off
Old 7th March 2017, 03:54 PM

I have spent a little fortune on LEDs testing all types.
No matter if its canbus or non canbus led they will always show on VCDS.
So the only solution for you is to ignore this VCDS error.
By saying that, I've just fitted high power genuine CREE leds which consume more power and I haven't checked the logs yet if they throw an error.

Re number plate, the only LED I found not causing any issues apart just one single flick when you switch ignition on, is again festone CREE led, single chip CREE. There are with two chips but it will have same effect, although single chip is way more than enough so if you fit doubles they will give so much light it may actually discolour your bumper just joking of course, but twins are for interior not number plates.

SO for interior fit what you want, but watch how each type gets hot, canbus or non canbus, whatever colour ticks your boxes. For the purest and crispest white fit CREE.

Also, CREE ones never showed up on VCDS for number plate so they solve that error issue.

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 7th March 2017, 08:37 PM

On page 4 of this thread you can see the interior CREEs in action.

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthrea...t=12324&page=4

Going to check in a minute if they throw a vcds error.

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
Old 7th March 2017, 09:17 PM

I can confirm that neither of the LEDs from page 4 I've installed throw error. Checked several times and nothing gets logged in vcds

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Old 7th March 2017, 09:56 PM

That's nice. I've opted for non high power red LEDs in the roof lighting. It looks like a brothel but it's actually very nice to do night time (metropole/highway) driving with friends, good music and still being able to see each other whilst retaining a 'dark' driving atmosphere that is kind to the eyes. Actually on full brightness they are already too light to my liking so I keep the front ones off usually.

I wouldn't want Cree brightness white leds inside tbh.
I'd like to swap the door ribbon lights for fibers with a red led but as they all still work I'll leave it as is
Old 8th March 2017, 03:31 PM

Interesting... so I replaced the light assembly in the boot as it was corroded badly, I guess Duffy didn't fix it, so now that a new one is in, the old LED bulb that was in there was tested and worked. The assembly was binned as it was dead.

Took the LED bulb to the front of the car and was about to open the drivers side plastic lamp cover with a credit card so as to not scratch it and as soon as I touched it, bingo, it turned itself on and despite my best efforts, hasn't failed since.

So I have a spare bulb.

Wish all problem solving with this car was this easy!
Old 10th March 2017, 07:43 PM

Just to add my voice to Marcin's, I've got the single-chip CREE LED bulbs for my number plate and they've been perfect - no flickering, no codes and a perfect amount of light without blinding or lighting up the ground.

To try and stave off the onset of rust from the screws, I replaced them with plastic screws from eBay.

2008 Audi S8