A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Interior Electrics

D3 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 16th September 2015, 09:35 AM

Hi D - it is indeed a 4.2 - I will PM you for some more details - Thanks a lot..
Old 28th April 2017, 06:35 PM

Default D3 Starter

Hi All

I have finally decided to attempt to powerprobe the starter on my dead D3. I have ordered a PowerProbe3 and I am going to buy a trolley jack and axle stands so I can attempt the power probe.

Anyone have any good images of where the starter is baring in mind I cant move it and tyres are flat so it is pretty low (looks nice that low )

If the pwerprobe doesn't fire it up, its going in the garage for a new starter...
Old 29th May 2017, 09:51 AM

Default Problem solved :)

Just thought I would provide an update on this.

ITS FIXED

So I bought a the Power Probe III, nice tool only I didn't get to use it on my starter motor.

I had previously bought a new battery from Halfrauds and attempted to start the beast with it, no joy, so I tried numerous variations of battery off my co' car (lol), new battery, without success, I did get ignition lights but that's it. I suspected the attempted car starts drained my new battery so as I already had a CTEK battery charger it made sense to charge the new battery fully and try again

Oddly (or not) the new battery wouldn't fully charge and never got past '4' on the charger - it should get to '7'. So basically the new battery wouldn't hold a charge.

Foolishly, I didn't think much of it because it was still reading 12.5v. As the starter wouldn't turn over my last ditch attempt to get the beast running was to power probe the starter motor. My shiny new Power Probe III arrived and I was keen to get to the starter and give it a go. I needed to jack the car up to get access to the starter so it was back to Halfrauds for some decent axle stands and wheel chocs, oh and while I am there I may as well return the battery as it has a 5 year guarantee.

Halfrauds tested the new battery, 5.4V, ran a quick test and nada, zilch, kapoot, yes a useless battery. I can't imagine me trying to start the beast with it would kill it as its brand new and should be able to fully recharge and hold that charge right? Anyway I got my axle stand, chocs and another new battery which I made him charge and test before I took it home.

first thing was to put the new battery on and test, nothing. In fact worse, I now had no lights whatsoever, just interior lights nothing on the ignition etc so after connecting my CTEK charger to the new battery I carried on with the starter motor plan.

I took the passenger side wheel off, took the cover off and could just about see the alternator, no sign of the starter. I checked the battery and it had got to '6' already on my CTEK which was good, not seen that before!

Anyway, I started testing all my fuses with the Power Probe and they were all fine. I was reading a thread on AudiWorld for no crank and some guys were talking about locking and unlcokin the doors with the key and retry so I was messing with the key opening and closing the doors and I thought I'd try again.

I put the key in, turned the key and all the lights came one, I mean every light!!! doors open, bonnet, boot open lights etc I mean every single light on the beast came on! Time to try a start so I turned it over and low and behold THE STARTER TURNED OVER

I didn't want to kill it so I left it for 5 mins before trying again and you guessed it - the beast roared into life

VCDS done and apart from the EPB which I know about, all good so after I have taken it for a clean and a riiipppp round the motorways its off for a MOT

Thanks to everyone who shared info on this and shared my pain

THE END!
Old 29th May 2017, 11:36 AM

Wahoo. What a result. So, given those symptoms, what is the fault? Central convenience module or something related?

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

2008 D3, gone, but not forgotten after 9 years and 90k.
Old 29th May 2017, 11:44 AM

Default Battery Dilemma!

I am guessing here but I reckon letting it stand for so long killed the original battery and the new 1 I got from Halfrauds was suspect at best!!

The replacement battery appears to have kicked it back into life so the moral of the story here is turn the engine over every day (ish)

I am going to put an MOT on it, it just needs a new EPB then its up for sale along with my new Power Probe III.
Old 1st September 2017, 08:49 AM

Default maybe

does your door open with the fob?? if not is the battery. but

I had a similar issue when I purchased my a8 exactly following day I drove it home.
I was fiddling with a scan tool and radio was on, so I finished get off the car locked it with the fob, had lunch came back to the car to go for a ride but car did not open with fob..OMG so I tried unlocking it and after about 3-4 min pressing the fob, the car has opened. Sat in the car put the key into the ignition light came on, MMI tilted up radio started playing but no crank on the key turn.I hooked up jump leads to the car(other cars on 2000rpm for about 2-3 min to give a good boost to my a8) then I started A8...to avoid getting stuck somewhere I purchased a new battery and no problem since then..
BTW I don't think MMI battery level is any accurate as the battery gets to 100% in less than 4min..
BTW2 you can check the battery condition via VCDS.

as the other members said to hook up another battery with similar capacity and to see if there is something else wrong.
Old 1st September 2017, 11:31 AM

MOT'D and sold

I'm now rolling in a Merc E200 on a 17Plate
Old 1st September 2017, 11:32 AM