A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Wheels and Tyres

D2 - Wheels and Tyres Refurbing, center caps, tyre brands, tyrefitters - discuss it here

Old 13th June 2013, 10:00 PM

Don't forget that a lower noise tyre will often mean a softer compound and therefore shorter lifespan. It's all a trade off in terms of requirements

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 13th June 2013, 10:04 PM

yep Asym (V1) on an R32 with RS6 brakes and "well-used" lasted me 16k
Old 13th June 2013, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs32 View Post
yep Asym (V1) on an R32 with RS6 brakes and "well-used" lasted me 16k
Christ you did well - my V2s lasted 9k on the A6!

Still got Asym V1s on our Citroen BX 16V but that's so light it doesn't worry the sidewalls with extra weight on turn in! They're been on the car for years but it does so few miles I suspect they'll be binned for age reasons eventually

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 13th June 2013, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin View Post
Michelin PS2s or Super Sports for me - both have good grip to the limit (the latter are better), have very good wear, and aren't too noisy. In practice, they also provide some limited rim protection, but this isn't as good as some other tyres with a more visible ridge.

I fitted supersports to the RS6, a bit too lively in the wet, but I was pushing over two D2 S8's worth of torque through them. The grip is unreal in the dry.
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds
Old 14th June 2013, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh View Post
I fitted supersports to the RS6, a bit too lively in the wet, but I was pushing over two D2 S8's worth of torque through them. The grip is unreal in the dry.
Agreed Amar, and I think your limit in the RS6 is probably a bit higher than mine in the S8....
Old 14th June 2013, 09:03 AM

Using Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta at the moment. Very happy with them. Wearing well, quiet, very good in the wet. Ran them on a tuned Saab 900 Aero as well - excellent on a powerful FWD car. Eagles very good, not quite so quiet, astonishingly good in the wet, The P Zeros I found unbelievably noisy on 20s. Ran 2 sets of PS2s on 20s and very happy with those, although were getting expensive when I last changed. Not noticeably better than the Vredesteins.

Zip

2002 D2 S8: Ebony Black over Platinum. A8L Comfort front seats in black (), heated rear seats, extended Leather Pack 3, blinds, glass sunroof, MFSW, Dension Gateway 100 for iPod, ski-hatch, xenon plus, auto dimming mirrors, 20" FE wheels, billet aluminium 'brake block', gunmetal Brembo calipers

2005 B6 S4 Cabriolet: Ebony Black Pearl over Silver. RNS-E, Bose, heated seats, cruise control, retrofit aux-in, centre armrest, Milltek resonated exhaust
Old 14th June 2013, 09:40 AM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip View Post
Using Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta at the moment. Very happy with them. Wearing well, quiet, very good in the wet. Ran them on a tuned Saab 900 Aero as well - excellent on a powerful FWD car. Eagles very good, not quite so quiet, astonishingly good in the wet, The P Zeros I found unbelievably noisy on 20s. Ran 2 sets of PS2s on 20s and very happy with those, although were getting expensive when I last changed. Not noticeably better than the Vredesteins.

Zip
Ditto the Vredsteins. Quiet, seem to be wearing well and quiet. And not too pricey.
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 14th June 2013, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Laird View Post
Ditto the Vredsteins. Quiet, seem to be wearing well and quiet. And not too pricey.
Another thumbs up here for the Vredesteins, had them on a couple of months now and give amazing grip compared to other tyres I've had on my A8. I realise it's also due to the fact that they're 275/25/20's and I've only ever had 18's on but I can't find fault with them at the moment, and wear seems to be good so far. The road noise varies but I think that's more a combination of the varying standards of road surface and the unique tyre pattern than the tyres themselves being generally noisy.

And at £150+ less for a set of four than other big brands mentioned I'd say they're good value. I took my recommendation from Amar, he knows his tyres.

Audi D3 S8 - 2007 - V10. B&O, Phantom Black, black and silver interior, and still completely standard with everything working as it should

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra
Old 14th June 2013, 12:26 PM

local tyre fitters that I use coming up best for Asym 2's at the moment, they've done about 6 sets for me in the last 3-4 years on various cars and I can't find any of the national companies offering better atm

Amar - know anyone else other than Southam Tyres that can beat £850 fitted for 245/40/19 ?
Old 14th June 2013, 01:18 PM

Yes, Camskill. But they don't have them in stock (£725.80 if they did + £11 postage). They do have, Michelin PS2's, however, which are just as good if not better for £788.36 delivered. That will give you £60 to arrange to have them fitted by your local tyre place. Call Camskill and see when they can get the Goodies for, personally, I’d go for the PS2’s and use the £60 to have them done locally.
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds