A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Wheels and Tyres

D2 - Wheels and Tyres Refurbing, center caps, tyre brands, tyrefitters - discuss it here

Old 20th August 2012, 08:52 AM

I had Falkens on until recently. A mis-alignment caused them to wear unevenly at the front so they had to go. Grip was poor even in the dry, I managed to do a tail-slide coming out of a small round about, and got wheelspin several times turning into a road from standstil at lights (too much throttle ). In the snow they are absolutely useless, sliding around at 15mph. In the rain I almost slid into the curb, 4 wheel slide small very bendy road at 30mph.
So I read about Michellin super sports and bit the bullet just had to give them a try at least once, and all I can say is much much better, amazing grip, even when I did a front wheel slide turning into a small road too fast, felt completely controlled.

Falkens
Dry grip 5
Wet grip 2
Tramlining 4
Noise 6

life expectancy ( 15k miles? not sure early wear due to alignment issues)
main use ( motorway, B road Hooning )
Price paid (£450 for 4, approx)
overall owner value rating ( 2 )

Michelin Super Sport
Dry grip 9
Wet grip 9
Tramlining 8
Noise 8

life expectancy ( 5k miles so far, looking good )
main use ( motorway, B road Hooning )
Price paid (£882 for 4)
overall owner value rating ( 7 )

Last edited by Goran; 20th August 2012 at 09:07 AM.
Old 20th August 2012, 09:02 AM

I'd agree with Richard that sport maxx are ok - I had some on my A4 and they lasted well but also performed well.

You might be interested to know Jim that there are new EU Tyre Ratings being introduced by law from November 2012 where there is a set of stickers on the tyre rating things like fuel efficiency, wet grip and external noise levels.

see the link below for more details -
http://www.dunlop.eu/dunlop_uk/what_...bel-explained/

http://uk.autoblog.com/2011/11/02/20...-need-to-know/

Some new tyres are already coming through with the stickers on and at least it give you a pointer when trying to decide performance wise vs price being charged

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Full-EU-tire-label-new_tcm2078-115358.png
Views:	607
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	4579  

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 20th August 2012, 09:08 AM

I've got Michelins all round (18" PF wheels) though the front and back pair aren't the exact same tyre (Pilot Sport and Primacy repectively I think).
They were the other way round last year and seem equally sure-footed either way.

They will ALL need replacing "soon" and I was thinking of Michelin's of some sort again, so comments here will be studied carefully.
They'll last the summer, so "soon" means next spring when the winter wheels come off.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 20th August 2012, 10:04 AM

Continental SportContact 3, 245/50 R18

Pros: Great grip, low noise, great rim protection
Cons: Like most ultra high performance tyres they are expensive and wear out faster than normal consumer tyres
Old 20th August 2012, 10:53 AM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Do the Michelins and Dunlops have rim protection? IIRC the P zeros do
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 20th August 2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Laird View Post
You shouldn't be that close to the kerb

Nite Blue 3.0L SE Quattro
Old 20th August 2012, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Laird View Post
You don't let your missus drive it do you
Old 20th August 2012, 11:27 AM

My Michelins have a small lip, but I don't think they're advertised as having any specific rim protection.

With the 18" Avus wheels it's not really much of an issue anyway.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 20th August 2012, 11:45 AM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloss View Post
You don't let your missus drive it do you
not a chance!

But she has these kerb sensors on her mini - when you're too close they give out this scraping sound!
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 20th August 2012, 11:47 AM

I had bought four brand new 245x35x20 Michelin Pilot Sports for a deal I had done on a set of FE alloys, but the seller eventually reneged on the deal and have been looking for a set of alloys ever since. The tyres basically have never been fitted to any rim and are completely brand new. I have considered selling them, but a quick question first......... What do you guys feel would be a fair price be for the four of them should I decide to sell ?

Cheers !

Last edited by Ricky22buk; 20th August 2012 at 06:49 PM.