A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D4 > D4 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D4 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions including MMI 3G Plus

Old 22nd April 2017, 10:14 PM

In short, not that I am aware of. The later A6/A7 5f units for support LTE (4G), but as far as I know (up to late 2016 demo cars I had) the A8 only ever supported 3G.
Old 23rd April 2017, 06:22 AM

You can buy the LTE phone insert and replace. I did this on mine. Bought an A7 unit from Poland that was bricked and took the phone card out and put it in my D4. It works fine. You have to update the software again to the newest. K0948 I think something like that.
Old 23rd April 2017, 08:28 AM

Would you mind posting some more information on this as it would be a great upgrade, 4G is so much faster than 3G. Some Part No.'s and a brief guide on how to swap out the unit would be great. I presume component protection would be an issue on used parts.
Thanks
Old 23rd April 2017, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe2.0E View Post
Would you mind posting some more information on this as it would be a great upgrade, 4G is so much faster than 3G. Some Part No.'s and a brief guide on how to swap out the unit would be great. I presume component protection would be an issue on used parts.
Thanks
I assume you want this for the hotspot feature, as it makes little difference to anything else?

This will be a replacement component within the 5f unit, so unlikely to be a component protection issue as you will be using your original 5f. However when I looked previously i couldn't find a LTE module with the correct interface in the aftermarket/

The original batch or cars came with a Telit UC864-E-AUTO, see http://www.lte.com.tr/uploads/pdf/190.pdf

I haven't checked but I suspect later cars came with a wide band version of that. What you need is a 4G/LTE replacement, but when I was looking a year or so ago they were all packaged with different interfaces - so not plug and play?
Old 23rd April 2017, 04:12 PM

Yes, my intention would be to improve the wi-fi hotspot as 3g is perfectly fine for google maps etc. Seems crazy that a current A6/A7 has a more advanced mmi setup than an A8. They obviously couldn't be bothered upgrading the D4 because of the imminent arrival of the D5.
Old 23rd April 2017, 07:42 PM

Agreed, the latest A6/A7 also has different maps, which are downloaded over the mobile network rather than updated via SD cards - I guess you have to buy a subscription!?