A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Engine Bay

D2 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 19th December 2017, 08:37 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

It might just be a slow-ish leak Brian, despite how much fluid it took to top up. There's no real indication of fluid loss until the pump starts complaining, by which time the system is almost empty. The header tank level is misleading too I found. It can look like it has plenty of fluid but if you keep pouring it in (beyond max), while the engine is running, the level drops and it continues to take more, presumably due to the displacement of air in the system. I kept topping mine up for a while until the garage could fit me in. I found it was maybe losing about 100ml per day.

I hope you manage to get it sorted soon without too much expense!
------------------------------------------------------

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 19th December 2017, 09:41 AM

[quote=MikkiJayne;111348]Mm I found the prices eye watering too! I cut the ends off the original hoses and swaged new hose on to them instead.

I just reconditioned my subframe. Some muppet had cut a couple of holes in it for who knows what reason. Sand blasted it, welded up the holes and re-painted. Be aware subframes can't be welded according to the MoT, which frankly is ridiculous. If you can weld bodywork which is much thinner, what possible drawback can there be to welding up a 2.5mm thick subframe? The lesson I learn from that is make the repair invisible, but sadly most garages won't consider repairing them.[quote]

I'll repair them and make it invisible with full pen single sided welding, painted with marine grade red oxide primer ready for a top coat of your choice

I think the reasoning behind the whole repair issue is no call for coded welders in the motor repair industry. Structural welds should not be done by a self taught welder on a mig machine bought for Christmas as it'll be like aero chocolate or lack penetration. Car bodies are so thin you don't need a good technique as you get full penetration without trying, not so easy when you get to thicker steels that require full pen with 0 inclusion on a full x-ray, there are welders and welders. I don't even trust the garage to do my brakes let alone welding structural joints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by briang9 View Post
Just discovered mine has dumped a lot of it's PAS fluid today, pump was howling and it took at least a litre of fluid. Mechanic unable to look at it until next week..getting a bit nervous as that's me down to only one car now as the Fiat is having electrical gremlins investigated. Fingers crossed nothing goes wrong with the RS6 now
Mine went to the point the fluid was coming out as quick as I could pour it in, so should be ok with a top up to get you where you need to be for the hose change.

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 29th December 2017, 10:36 PM

Ah well, seems it is the expensive hose that's leaking..£260 + vat from TPS, however the mechanic has managed to source a cheaper one elsewhere..downside is it won't arrive till next Thursday..just off down to his place with a sleeping bag till then

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey
Old 30th December 2017, 10:56 AM

Sounds like yours is probably leaking from the same hose mine was Brian.

I think there are 3 PS hoses in that area altogether; might be worth replacing the other two at the same time. Mine were all a bit iffy on closer inspection. I think it cost me something like £700 for all three from TPS (OEM), but maybe your mechanic can source the other two hoses cheaper elsewhere too.

Cars Owned:
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 3rd January 2018, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Ah well, seems it is the expensive hose that's leaking..£260 + vat from TPS, however the mechanic has managed to source a cheaper one elsewhere..downside is it won't arrive till next Thursday..just off down to his place with a sleeping bag till then
I think the fluid will leak through the sleeping bag eventually Brian

Old 4th January 2018, 04:03 PM

Alas... the mechanic had ordered D3 hoses, however he did get them from a reputable supplier..our very own Forum Sponsor..but speaking to them it seems decent D2 hoses are like rocking horse **** and I believe there is at least 1 member in the queue before me. Looks like a wallet hurting TPS order is the only option unless anyone knows of any other suppliers?

Old 4th January 2018, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Alas... the mechanic had ordered D3 hoses, however he did get them from a reputable supplier..our very own Forum Sponsor..but speaking to them it seems decent D2 hoses are like rocking horse **** and I believe there is at least 1 member in the queue before me. Looks like a wallet hurting TPS order is the only option unless anyone knows of any other suppliers?

That's not good mate.
When I was toying with how I was going to fix mine on the cheap I was going to speak to my hydraulic man about it as he makes hoses and everything hydraulic. But before then it was rescued by Mike as he had some knocking about. But while talking to MJ she mentioned that when cutting a hose in half there is some sort of weird restrictor in side the delivery side pipe. I think she did doc it on here but I'm too lazy to go look see. So not just as easy as getting a pipe the same size and having new end swaged on.
It might still be worth asking the hydraulic guy as he's the mutts nuts and I'm 100% sure he'd know a way to replicate the pipe.
I'll PM you his details if you want to give him a call.

Old 4th January 2018, 05:11 PM

I wonder if it would be possible/cheaper to have some hoses custom made, from somewhere like this maybe?: https://www.tridenthydraulics.co.uk/...ing-hoses.html

Or you could have a go at making your own if you're feeling ambitious:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGJ5zC7lhz8

EDIT: Dezzy beat me to it.

Cars Owned:

Old 4th January 2018, 05:54 PM

Thanks guys I did look at that site earlier Mark..suspect that getting a one off made would probably be just as expensive if not more. Also thanks the PM Dezzy will have a look at that too, but I think TPS is going to be easiest

Old 4th January 2018, 08:09 PM

Dezzy is right - I tried making up a plain hydraulic hose (£60) but it didn't work well - the pump howled constantly as it had no back-pressure and the steering was too light. The factory hose has a special nozzle in the pump union and a nylon liner in the first half of the hose which Mike and I think is some sort of constant pressure / variable flow solution.

There are only two options at the moment:

1, stump up £750 for new factory hoses, for as long as we can get them.

2, find a good used hose set, de-rust it, and re-paint / cover in shrink sleeve which is what I did. Good used ones are getting extremely rare now though.

When Audi run out of new hoses we'll have to come up with a new solution, but I have other things to get on with until then...