A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > House and Home DIY

House and Home DIY Everything at home. Building, Renovating, DIY, green initiatives, mowing the lawn. Anything goes

Old 4th April 2016, 04:17 PM

Key clamps and tube. Lots of fittings and tube size to select from and fairly cheap. Have built a few pieces of furniture in the past with good results.

Here's a part finished table
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	table.jpg
Views:	561
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	12980  

2004 A8 3.7q, 1998 A4 2.8q, 1994 Coupe 2.8q SORN,

Last edited by mattylondon; 4th April 2016 at 04:20 PM.
Old 4th April 2016, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattylondon View Post
Key clamps and tube. Lots of fittings and tube size to select from and fairly cheap. Have built a few pieces of furniture in the past with good results.

Here's a part finished table
Great product for that stuff too, practically indestructible.

Old 4th April 2016, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc4332 View Post
The support poles have flat plates at the top that ideally are screwed through the ceiling plaster into the ceiling joists. The base plate can be screwed to the floor.
As is usual things can only be as good as they are designed to be if used/fitted correctly.
SWMBO is always telling me that I over engineer whenever I do things. Where builders hammer nails in I screw.

As for self build, that is probably what we will have to do if nobody comes up with anything.
I bet your stuff doesn't normally fall off the wall though does it.

My motto is do it nice or do it twice

Old 4th April 2016, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delboy View Post
practically indestructible.
Indeed! That table had 48mm steel tube, needed two people to lift it

We built two identical with tempered glass tops. £150 each if I recall.

2004 A8 3.7q, 1998 A4 2.8q, 1994 Coupe 2.8q SORN,
Old 5th April 2016, 07:47 AM

A lot of years ago, when we were still relatively young (honestly there was a time when even I was young) I had been away in Europe driving tour coaches for about eight weeks.
When I returned home SWMBO had decorated the bathroom. She had mounted two shelves which involved hammer drill into breeze block wall, rawplugging and screwing.
Those shelves are still on the wall. She takes them down for decorating and refits them.
She claims that she learnt how to do it from watching me.
Really good having a wife that can change fuses, the old type where you replace the wire, and she fits her own plugs safely

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 5th April 2016, 07:54 AM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Quote:
A lot of years ago, when we were still relatively young (honestly there was a time when even I was young) I had been away in Europe driving tour coaches for about eight weeks.
When I returned home SWMBO had decorated the bathroom. She had mounted two shelves which involved hammer drill into breeze block wall, rawplugging and screwing.
Those shelves are still on the wall. She takes them down for decorating and refits them.
She claims that she learnt how to do it from watching me.
Really good having a wife that can change fuses, the old type where you replace the wire, and she fits her own plugs safely
Careful Ray, you sound pretty close to surplus to requirements!

My SWMBO won't even wash her own car!
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 5th April 2016, 08:30 AM

It is al down to training

Seriously, I know that I am lucky, and I have an unusual model with all the updates and mods factory fitted. She has all the good bits that none of her sisters have. But then her Mother was very good to me.

I don't have to wash her either

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 5th April 2016, 08:38 AM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Quote:

I don't have to wash her either
That's no fun then!
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 5th April 2016, 08:48 AM

I have a reply ready but I'm afraid not fit for publication.
Something about using and cleaning

Ooooooops!! nearly said it.

Old 5th April 2016, 12:10 PM

I presume you mean that the bits you want are unavailable i the UK as they still sell this system ~I think

have you tried the ikeahackers.net site?