A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Interior Electrics

D2 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 23rd October 2017, 01:25 PM

Default Odd behaviour of map-reading lights

A recent thread (about dimming mirrors) asked if the D2 (facelift presumably) and D3 interior mirrors were the same, which prompted me to look at mine as I wondered if both types have map lights and/or anything else in them.

I noticed that the nearside map light was on and offside off, and neither changed when operating the switches. Turning the exterior lights on did switch on the little red downlighters in the unit.

This was in daylight, I decided to check later after dark. By then both map lights were on, though not that brightly; again the switches did nothing.

I decided to start the car and everything immediately returned to normal, the map lights at full brightness and switches operating normally.

All my interior lighting is LED now, so they probably wouldn't need anything like the full 12v to light up, but I do wonder what can have been going on; any thoughts anyone?
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 23rd October 2017, 02:24 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Just checked mine (non-LED) and they behave as expected: The switches turn them on and off, except when the rest of the interior lighting is on.

Sounds like a small amount of current is getting through to your LEDs when they should be off, possibly from a sensing circuit (alarm maybe?) that's using a pull-up resistor.
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust

Last edited by moltuae; 23rd October 2017 at 02:49 PM.
Old 23rd October 2017, 02:30 PM

I've seen it happen in A6s C5 where the LED interior lights makes all the lights act odd.

Put incandescent bulbs back in and they work as normal.

No idea what it would be that causes it in in the LEDs unless its back to the resistance value of the LEDs being different.
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 23rd October 2017, 09:03 PM

Have this phenomenon in HGVs all the time, especially where newer trailers fitted with LED lighting is connected to older tractor units from a pre LED era.

You can be standing in the yard at night and the indicators on a trailer will be 'glowing' gently on one side.

Tractor unit is shut off completely but the leds still glow

I've asked various auto electrical people about it over the years but never managed to get a consistent answer!

Daily drive:
2016 Infiniti QX70.....a car that's even more complicated than my last Infiniti FX to modify

Current 'Project':
VW Crafter CR50 4 berth camper van

Previous 'Projects':
2006 Subaru Legacy Spec 'B' 3.0R,
1994 Ex-MOD Land Rover Defender, now "civilianised".
2000 Audi S8 FL

www.whall.co.uk
Old 23rd October 2017, 09:24 PM

I think it's a "glitch" inside the interior lighting circuits/controller probably "enhanced" by a faulty/failing LED bulb.

I noticed again today that the drivers side map bulb was on again, dimly.
I suspect that has a fault and is doing something to the electronics.

Just opening a door turns on the map lights along with the interior lights so I'd guess that's done by "earthing" one side and that the other is always live (+12v). The separate switch will probably do the same.

It seems likely that the interior light circuitry "earths" those bulbs to a lesser extent all the time for some reason at present.
I'm going to replace the bulb that is currently dim and see if that sorts it out. They're just a bit of a PITA to get at.

Edit: Just having another look it's actually intermittent, so maybe the bulb isn't seated properly.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 23rd October 2017 at 09:28 PM.
Old 23rd October 2017, 10:41 PM

Top tip from someone (cant remember who...might have been Oli) on here years ago was to use thin nose pliers with insulating tape wrapped around them to remove and replace these bulbs, works a treat

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey
Old 24th October 2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briang9 View Post
Top tip from someone (cant remember who...might have been Oli) on here years ago was to use thin nose pliers with insulating tape wrapped around them to remove and replace these bulbs, works a treat
Its sometime more difficult getting LED lamps in/out there than getting the old filament lamps out due to (often) greater size. It helps if you are an amateur but enthusiastic gynaecologist
Old 24th October 2017, 10:14 AM

Can't recall what they are, possibly the bayonet type with offset pins?
Old 24th October 2017, 11:17 AM

The originals are 5W W5W filaments and therefore are the push-fit type Should be easier to get out but they did require some force IIRC.
Old 24th October 2017, 11:49 AM

I've just been and given them a "wiggle" to make sure the contacts are good; felt secure enough already though. Fine at present anyway.