A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions

Old 2nd April 2023, 07:58 PM

Default Media Player Position error after fitting interface

I have fitted the Mr12Volt interface to my D3 3.0 TDi MMi2 High. It works really well, adding CarPlay and generally updating the setup a lot.

My car has the CD changer as standard, and I have inserted the mr 12
Volt box on the most bus loop before the cd changer. The car is now moaning on vcds that the media position is incorrectly coded. The car is coded to media position 2. Should I disconnect the mr12 volt and put that after the Cd changer? Or should I try to recode the car? If so, would it now be media position 3 I would use for the Cd?

Thanks!!
Old 2nd April 2023, 08:54 PM

Not familiar with the product, but watching the following video of the installation, is it possible that the fibre optic cable has been connected the wrong way, as it appears to be the only cable in the entire set that has two connectors the same?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZeyeWwL4ug

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 2nd April 2023, 10:09 PM

Hi, thanks for the suggestion hope you’re well. The cables are pre configured and so the loop is definitely good. It all works, too. I think that I should leave the CS player back in its original place, and add the extra function on as the loop heads back into the main unit. I will report back here once I’ve done it. It might be a week or so because next phase is when I will add my reverse cameras to the box (the mr 12 volt box has those inputs)
Old 3rd April 2023, 09:12 AM

The media player position is set by the use of jumper wires to the interface, not its physical location on the MOST bus. I'm going to guess that the Mr12 volt box probably has position 1 by default, so you'll have to add the jumper wire to the CD player.

2004 A8 3.7q, 1998 A4 2.8q, 1994 Coupe 2.8q SORN,
Old 3rd April 2023, 05:00 PM

I’m happy to say it’s fixed.

So, originally the oem multi changer was registered as media player 2. Noting there was no “Media Player 1” - I don’t really know why that was the case.

After adding the Mr12Volt box between the Control Head box under the dash and the OEM CD player an unknown “Media player 01” appeared in the vcds scan and that had an error as well as the control head having an error too.

Today, I went to the control head and used the long coding helper to add a registration for Media Player 01 by just ticking the box for that player. And like magic, the errors vanished from both the media player 01 and the control head. Now of course, if you try to actually open the Media player 01 with vcds it sits there and reports that it can’t - which of course it can’t, it’s the Mr12Volt box - but just having the registration on there is enough to restore the clean scan.

Now, I don’t know what you’d do if you had added it after the CS changer, or, if Matty is right and the order of insertion physically doesn’t matter, but I guess you’d either do what I did, or, register it as “media player 03”

Hope this helps.

PS Mr12Volt thing is amazing, really impressed.
Old 3rd April 2023, 05:04 PM

Good job. Definitely something worth feeding back to the manufacturer since they state that NO coding is required, which should stop other people pulling their hair out if in a similar situation.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 3rd April 2023, 05:34 PM

Yes, I will mention it. I mean I guess most owners wouldn’t scan their car right after fitting and to be honest I can’t see it causing any problem, but I’m just fussy and like things to be as good as they can be.

The Mr12Volt harness for the optical is a lot easier to route in the configuration I used - ie plugged into the can head up under the dash and then routed to their box as a branch. That leaves the oem CD player harnesses running as they should out to the glove box. If you do it the other way and come off the CD player you then have a more tricky job getting the glove box back in again and run a bit more risk of damaging the optical cables during rebuild. So
I’m happy it works this way. When I strip it down again to do the cameras I will take a few pictures to explain what I mean.